RMweb

Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

So id be interested in what you thought were the worst ones?

Worst: 11,12,13,14,20,21,22,38,43,47,48

Fair: 01,02,03,05,06,09,10,16,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,34,39,40,41,42,45.

Best: 04,07,08,15,17,18,19,31,32,33,35,36,37,44,46,49,50

And yours?

So long term what are theese 19 vacs to be?

Does it really matter? :rolleyes:

03,05,09,10,17,20,23(x2),24,30,34,35(x2),41(x2),45,46,49,50

Worst: 11,12,13,14,20,21,22,38,43,47,48

Fair: 01,02,03,05,06,09,10,16,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,34,39,40,41,42,45.

Best: 04,07,08,15,17,18,19,31,32,33,35,36,37,44,46,49,50

And yours?

Does it really matter? :rolleyes:

03,05,09,10,17,20,23(x2),24,30,34,35(x2),41(x2),45,46,49,50

Yes because i am interested.

Ok you asked a question and deserve an anwser so here goes

Worst 07/11/12/13/22/26/38/43

Fair 01/02/03/05/06/10/16/20/21/23/27/29/31/41/42/45/47/48/49

Best 04/08/09/14/15/17/18/19/24/25/28/30/32/33/34/35/36/39/40/44/46/50

So apart from some differences similar i rated Warspite while you think it is a shed?

While you rated Elgar and i thought it was a heap of junk but i notice 6 of my worst are in yours.But if i had to pick one i think it would go to Benbow.

The reason is i only had 2 good runs of it the rest were average or poor, closely followed by Indomitable.

Eagle at least was loud and very fast when it was actualy working. :lol:

I am surprised to see Rodney and Swiftsure in your worst, used to like Rodders in particular, had some good runs behind it and Swiftsure or the Swift one or Swifty every one seemed to rave on about it but i thought only fair so your reasons for disliking theese 2?

No 7 had good runs and high mileage but the name??

Agincourt seemed to me to stagger about it but loads rated it.

Formidable good in 1985 but by 87 was well below par and some awful runs behind it

Anson similar but some rated it.

Im also very surprised to see Dauntless in your worst as i spoke to a driver of 33 at Yeovil August 1991 and he reckoned 48 was the best of the lot.

As regards 31 and 49 been in your best colum Hood was good but weak and Defiance only fair but each to thier own.

Thanks for sharing and fascinating to read.

By the way can never agree with you on Warspite an absoloute beast and was my highest unmodified. :D

To a certain extent I think comparing best/worst locos is irrelevant as it's subjective to a large degree.

For example 35 was your favorite but it must have been someone else's worst.

Perhaps if we were to rate them by engine hours or miles then it may be possible to comply a more objective list.

I just don't seem to remember 14 as a reliable one. It had a fantastic name though!

To be honest, 21 I just didn't like the name. Somehow, to me, "Rodney" just doesn't sound as awe inspiring as Dreadnought, Fearless, Illustrious, Invincible, ect.

I'm surprised you thought 07 was a heap of junk, as it was one of the last (at 46's expense, if memory serves me right <_< )

31 would have been in my "fair" list were it not repainted in it's last year or so of service. It always seemed to be spanking clean after that.

In regards to 49, that should have been in my "fair" list. 149 was what I should have put in my best list.

I spoke to a driver of 33 at Yeovil August 1991 and he reckoned 48 was the best of the lot.

There's a chap on this forum who reckons 35 was the best of them all! ;) :D :lol:

To a certain extent I think comparing best/worst locos is irrelevant as it's subjective to a large degree.

For example 35 was your favorite but it must have been someone else's worst.

Perhaps if we were to rate them by engine hours or miles then it may be possible to comply a more objective list.

I just don't seem to remember 14 as a reliable one. It had a fantastic name though!

To be honest, 21 I just didn't like the name. Somehow, to me, "Rodney" just doesn't sound as awe inspiring as Dreadnought, Fearless, Illustrious, Invincible, ect.

I'm surprised you thought 07 was a heap of junk, as it was one of the last (at 46's expense, if memory serves me right <_< )

31 would have been in my "fair" list were it not repainted in it's last year or so of service. It always seemed to be spanking clean after that.

In regards to 49, that should have been in my "fair" list. 149 was what I should have put in my best list.

There's a chap on this forum who reckons 35 was the best of them all! ;) :D :lol:

Regards no 7, i can never forgive for Ajax it is 46 that should have been saved :angry:

Re 21 yes i agree not the best name, but then others were not such as 03/05/11/12/13/22/23/27 to name a few.

Agree with you but i do not think there ia a list of the total mileage they did, unless you mean personal mileage??

When i was bashing the class people used to rave on about 010/013/026/047 in particular as best of the class but i disagree.

Only Swiftsure and Monarch are not in my worst list :lol:

But it is all courses for horses and water under the bridge as we only have 18 left now. :(

But back to modelling the ones i rated liked will be in my fleet long term but ones i did'nt not.

Re Hood it was repainted May 1991 and withdrawn August so barely 3 months. :O

So,

Just looking through the thread again, and those replacement vents look great. I don't know alot about the 50's, so I'm going to pose a few detail questions. Well, more about DP2 than the 50's I guess.

Will those replacement vents work with DP2? I'm assuming that they'll be a little smaller and so need some fettling, but are they the correct style?

Does anyone have a detailed drawing/picture of DP2's roof, preferrably No.2 end, (I'm trying to get a decent picture of the boiler exhaust port and I believe the production loco's did not have this feature?)

Lastly, a 50 question. There is some discussion about the cab front windows being incorrect. I note that Shawplan do replacement frames which are listed as being for the Lima model. Will these do for the Hornby model too and is it worth the conversion? I'm not a rivet counter, but like things to look somewhere near right.....

Thanks.

Sean.

Will those replacement vents work with DP2?

As of yet there is no ready-to-run model of DP2 available. So, sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you're on about.... :unsure:

Does anyone have a detailed drawing/picture of DP2's roof, preferrably No.2 end, (I'm trying to get a decent picture of the boiler exhaust port and I believe the production loco's did not have this feature?)

If I remember correctly there should be a drawing in Colin Marsdens book, Life & Times of the Class 50

Lastly, a 50 question. There is some discussion about the cab front windows being incorrect. I note that Shawplan do replacement frames which are listed as being for the Lima model. Will these do for the Hornby model too and is it worth the conversion? I'm not a rivet counter, but like things to look somewhere near right.....

In my humble oppinion the windows do look somewhere near right and do not benefit from replacement frames.

In my humble oppinion the windows do look somewhere near right and do not benefit from replacement frames.

Hi i agree, i can not see the benefit of changing the frames.The only thing in my opinion that lets the model down is those damm louvers, why ogh why did Hornby go for play value with this super detailed model?? :rolleyes:

Another thing i can do with out is the cab doors opening.Who actualy models the locos with the cab door open? or plays around opening and shutting the cab door.?

I think it is a gimmick and instead of opening doors i would have prefered cab lighting instead.

What do other people think?

Do you play with your louvers and your doors??

As of yet there is no ready-to-run model of DP2 available. So, sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you're on about.... :unsure:

If I remember correctly there should be a drawing in Colin Marsdens book, Life & Times of the Class 50

Thanks for your reply vac basher.

To clarify what I'm on about as regards DP2's vents, I already have a model of DP2 which is a heavily modified Silver Fox/Bachmann combo. It's still not quite right, so I was thinking about having another go, either starting from fresh or re hashing my current model.

If I do this, I thought I might use these vents if they were the same pattern on DP2 as they were on the 50's? I think DP2's will be a little smaller, but I'm hoping the actual fins on the vents look the same on both loco's if that makes any more sense?

Regards the book, I'll see if I can find a copy online, so thanks for that.

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks for your reply vac basher.

To clarify what I'm on about as regards DP2's vents, I already have a model of DP2 which is a heavily modified Silver Fox/Bachmann combo. It's still not quite right, so I was thinking about having another go, either starting from fresh or re hashing my current model.

If I do this, I thought I might use these vents if they were the same pattern on DP2 as they were on the 50's? I think DP2's will be a little smaller, but I'm hoping the actual fins on the vents look the same on both loco's if that makes any more sense?

Regards the book, I'll see if I can find a copy online, so thanks for that.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi if it is DP2 you are after why not go for the forthcoming Heljan release.? Or has it been shelved?

Hi if it is DP2 you are after why not go for the forthcoming Heljan release.? Or has it been shelved?

The Danish DP2 is still on course, based on their information. I think what PoD is doing here is what he's best at: getting maximum returns from some fairly accessible modelling in a post-Monty (Wells) style, rather than just going for the shiny new boxes tied up with string. And for that, power to his flipper penguinlike elbow, cuz that's how we like it ;)

EDIT: reason, to correct bird biological terms

I reckon if the cost of Heljans recent prototypes is anything to go by, I can save myself upwards of £50 by doing it my way. I'd save even more by fettling my existing model. I feel the Heljan model would probably need a degree of super detailing too. Their models don't seem to have fan grilles etc, but I'll see once it's released.....

I will also look at the cost once its announced.

Cheers.

Sean

The Danish DP2 is still on course, based on their information. I think what PoD is doing here is what he's best at: getting maximum returns from some fairly accessible modelling in a post-Monty (Wells) style, rather than just going for the shiny new boxes tied up with string. And for that, power to his penguinlike elbow, cuz that's how we like it ;)

Thanks Chard.

Thats exactly the way I'm looking at it and I reckon a decent model is do-able so I intend to give it a go.....

It's refferred to as a flipper I think?..... ;-)

Cheers.

Sean.

.... those damn louvres, why oh why did Hornby go for play value with this super detailed model?? :rolleyes:

Another thing i can do with out is the cab doors opening.Who actualy models the locos with the cab door open? or plays around opening and shutting the cab door.?

I think it is a gimmick and instead of opening doors i would have prefered cab lighting instead.

I actually think it's great Hornby demonstrated that these functions could be made to work on the RTR model. All we need now is for Brian Hanson (Shawplan) to come up with scale etched louvres that can be made to open and close..... He'd probably do it, too.

And for their next trick, ladies and gents, why not carriage doors that open and close?

What do other people think?

Do you play with your louvres and your doors??

Yes. I think they're great! My "Ark Royal" is rewheeled to S4. The only thing wrong with it is a slightly erratic lighting display, but I don't care!

And for their next trick, ladies and gents, why not carriage doors that open and close?

Roco have done with with some of their coaches, complete with DCC sounds. It's incredibly impressive.

Pix

Anyone got a video of that?

I've got one on my phone, I'll upload it when I get home and have got access to Youtube. The raising and lowering pantographs on one of their electrics are also impressive. If we were to have British stuff to that standard, I think it'd be a time to call the nurse to bring the emergency trousers....

Pix

• RMweb Gold

I've got one on my phone, I'll upload it when I get home and have got access to Youtube. The raising and lowering pantographs on one of their electrics are also impressive. If we were to have British stuff to that standard, I think it'd be a time to call the nurse to bring the emergency trousers....

Pix

I forget whether it was Roco or not, but I read in one of the mags that one of the European manufacturers is putting sensors in its diesel/electric chassis that will trigger flange-squeal on curves.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

• RMweb Premium

So,

Thanks.

Sean.

Hi Sean, theres also a drawing of DP2 in Marsden & Fenn's 'BR Main Line Diesel Locomotives' (OPC) if you can get your flippers on a copy :D . Cheers Phil.

post-5841-0-19850100-1302610382_thumb.jpgVery good but can we please get back to the Hornby Vac :lol: and i did not know electric locos whistled? :lol:

Anyway after 35 the next vac i am planning will be 44 Exeter but in a proper Livery Large Logo with a black roof.

A pic of the real loco and what i am hoping mine will look like.

Exeter at Birmingham New St July 1986 and not long before a big bang :lol: which caused 44 to enter works for last classified and repaint in tootpaste Livery.

I used to see loads of these at maidenhead/reading in my 'spotting days' (82-84) and they were always a favourite - anything other than an HST was. But I have the one Hornby version and it just doesn;t excite me - there's something 'wrong' about it but I can't figure out what exactly.

Sean, I think you're confusing the matter by actualy doing some good old fashioned modelling! ;)

I actually think it's great Hornby demonstrated that these functions could be made to work on the RTR model. All we need now is for Brian Hanson (Shawplan) to come up with scale etched louvres that can be made to open and close..... He'd probably do it, too.

Generally with Brian if you come up with a good idea for new D&E parts he'll have already have thought of it!