Hornby Class 50,s

35 Ark Royal

Hi now that Hornby have seen fit to release Thunderer in Laira Blue, will we see the following next year or in the future.

Large Logo with a black roof

BR Blue refurbished 50001/006/013/017/019 and 047

Original NSE standard

RNSE dark pristine

And maybe some specials

Monarch with a blue roof :P

Ramillies in Laira Blue

D400 in BR blue (AS 1991)

Howe with it's hybrid roof blue and black :D

For the others i have mentioned for Large Logo with a black roof i would like to see either Warspite,Vanguard with ploughs.Ajax with the 46 in the headcode box

Original NSE Courageous with blue plates, Resolution with ploughs,Invincible or Furious with 034 on the side

Rnse Dark i would like to see Conqueror, Barham, Royal Oak, Vanguard with oversized NSE flashes, Renown, GloriousNSE,Furious with 434 on lower bodyside.

For the refurbished Blue it has to be either Neptune or Royal Oak(sandboxes) or Dreadnought or Ramullies) Not Ageincrate or Swifty :lol:

So what does everyone else want to see?

I think your (war) ship will definitely come in, buddy!

By my calculation, that's a discerning total of 28 locos bobbing on the froth there, so with over half the class on the wishlist I can't see you going hungry :rolleyes:

By my calculation, that's a discerning total of 28 locos bobbing on the froth there, so with over half the class on the wishlist I can't see you going hungry :rolleyes:

:lol: I don't think I've ever laughed so hard!! :lol:

And let's not forget that that's 28 locos out of a class of mearly 50 machines :blink:

Hi now that Hornby have seen fit to release Thunderer in Laira Blue, will we see the following next year or in the future.

Large Logo with a black roof

BR Blue refurbished 50001/006/013/017/019 and 047

Original NSE standard

RNSE dark pristine

And maybe some specials

Monarch with a blue roof :P

Ramillies in Laira Blue

D400 in BR blue (AS 1991)

Howe with it's hybrid roof blue and black :D

For the others i have mentioned for Large Logo with a black roof i would like to see either Warspite,Vanguard with ploughs.Ajax with the 46 in the headcode box

Original NSE Courageous with blue plates, Resolution with ploughs,Invincible or Furious with 034 on the side

Rnse Dark i would like to see Conqueror, Barham, Royal Oak, Vanguard with oversized NSE flashes, Renown, GloriousNSE,Furious with 434 on lower bodyside.

For the refurbished Blue it has to be either Neptune or Royal Oak(sandboxes) or Dreadnought or Ramullies) Not Ageincrate or Swifty :lol:

So what does everyone else want to see?

knowing what Hornby can be like, 50017 in LMS maroon?? or 035 in loadhaul??

did they ever make 50001 in RNSE? i saw it advertised but never seen an actual model.

dan

How did you remove the numbers/decals from Hornby 50's? have a few to go at myself

Hi Rob and welcome to RMWeb. ;)

If you type removing decals into the search facility and search "forums", you'll get a good range of results. This is a topic that comes up quite frequently. HTH

Hi - heres a few of mine - Im modelling the whole fleet as it was roughly in 1990 - 1992 (ish) think Ive got about 25 and counting - too many to list here - it would be boring . My big faves are Resolution , Renown , Repulse and Vanguard.

post-6893-0-99632600-1302880514_thumb.jpg

post-6893-0-67501700-1302880598_thumb.jpg

post-6893-0-35890800-1302880694_thumb.jpg

tfn

Jon

• Like 1

Some fine weathering there Jon, which I can imagine has been done from photos, recalling what the beasts looked like in 1990! I haven't checked, but if you were to do a blog on weathering these I think you'd find it pretty popular. Great stuff! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Jon, what a great blog!!!!!! tongue.gif

did they ever make 50001 in RNSE? i saw it advertised but never seen an actual model.

No. Looks like it was cancelled.

So how about Hornby releasing un named and numbered ones and take the pain out in doing ourselves.

I'd immagine people must write-off a good few while renumbering them (hence why they don't make it easy) so little chance of them doing unnumbered ones as, like this, they probably sell more.

think Ive got about 25 and counting - too many to list here - it would be boring

Maybe you could make it more interesting if you posted photos of them too! :D

Hi John love those vacs especially Courageous, i take it you will be weathering 24?

Hi -

Thanks all for your kind comments - I'm working on another batch of 8 class 50s at the moment - it takes a long time but I'll have loads of photos when they're done.

Bit of a sore point with my model of 024 actually - I'm going have to rename and renumber the model and turn it into 001 - as 50024 would have been in NSE dark blue with 'West of England' brandings in my period - that'll teach me - I didnt reseach it properly.

When I do a batch of NSE dark blue hoovers , then i'll do 024 properly! :rolleyes:

Its a bit of a shame - Vanguard did look lovely in light blue with snowploughs, yellow axleboxes and its black windscreen. Luckily when it was repainted dark blue It kept some individuality , with the huge NSE flashes on the headcode boxes - very beastly B)

Thats what i love about 50s - all the little individual livery differenced that make each one unique - (and make Hornbys job impossible!)

TFN

Jon

post-5841-0-51350900-1303060356_thumb.jpg

Hi -

Thanks all for your kind comments - I'm working on another batch of 8 class 50s at the moment - it takes a long time but I'll have loads of photos when they're done.

Bit of a sore point with my model of 024 actually - I'm going have to rename and renumber the model and turn it into 001 - as 50024 would have been in NSE dark blue with 'West of England' brandings in my period - that'll teach me - I didnt reseach it properly.

When I do a batch of NSE dark blue hoovers , then i'll do 024 properly! :rolleyes:

Its a bit of a shame - Vanguard did look lovely in light blue with snowploughs, yellow axleboxes and its black windscreen. Luckily when it was repainted dark blue It kept some individuality , with the huge NSE flashes on the headcode boxes - very beastly B)

Thats what i love about 50s - all the little individual livery differenced that make each one unique - (and make Hornbys job impossible!)

TFN

Jon

Hi Jon yes you are right Vanguard for your period was in dark blue and had huge oversized flashes, here is a pic but sadly this fine machine is been dismantled.

So what is your favourite machine?

Yes they did especially in the NSE period and later in thier twighlight period for example 24 with oversized NSE flashes , 27 in dark blue with NSE flashes on headcode box one end and none the other. etc etc.

My fave 50 - thats very difficult - one of the reasons why ive decided to model the whole fleet as I couldnt decide which ones I liked more than othersrolleyes.gif

Renown and Repulse will always be that little bit extra special for me though , as they were the last 50s I saw at laira , before they were rescued and preserved .

That picture of 50024 is quite something - what an ungraceful end for such handsome machine.

At Ally Pally a few weeks back I got this rather nice book: (badly photographed on my lap, sorry)

post-6893-0-33801300-1303067440_thumb.jpg

which I'd never seen before . Its a brilliant study of each loco and its various liveries - very usefull for my project.

The picture of 50005 on page 95 , which is the last page of the book, is very sad though - almost had a bit of a moment when I saw it! - 50 fans be warned :O

tfn

Jon

Hi again, you say you are modelling the whole fleet from 1990 so depening on your actual month you are modelling from 24 would be ok as it is as it did not get repainted until late September.For your interest i had the loco on its last run in theese colours intending to go to Pompey as 24 a good loco, but Vanguard failed with a loud bang at Exeter St Thomas :rolleyes: and Howe dragged us in to St David's after a lengthy delay, for both to be uncoupled for Resolution forward.Date was Friday 17th August.

Here is a pic of that Beast Vanguard before departure but sadly on this date very off colour. :( post-5841-0-68322200-1303079833_thumb.jpg

So im presuming for your time period you will not be having 50006/011/012/013/014/022/025/038/and 047 as they except Centurion had been cut up, but you could have 50004/016/019/020/021/034/035/039/040/041 as still intact but withdrawn.

..and two more great photos of 50024 - I like the clean 'patch' below its numbers , some nice weathering to observe there - thanks for sharing gillinghamgus

This has to be the best thread on rmweb :)

tfn

Jon

• 9 months later...

Hello.

I was just reading through some of my old posts and realised I never actually posted the results of my attempt at the prototype.

So, hoping I don't ruffle too many feathers, here's a couple of photo's of my, ahem, "Hoover".....

post-6920-0-18190400-1328096007.jpg

post-6920-0-29926200-1328095772.jpg

I'm actually going to have another go at this loco, as I'm not 100% happy with some of the detail on this one.

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 2