The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Thanks Jim - the kit rods are fine Andreas, like any etch lamination, they just need careful finishing to get a tidy result.

Sidetracking the topic? Not at all, Andreas - it is here for discussion.

Best Regards

Tony

Hi Tony and Jim,

sidetracking the topic again. You said that you aligned the hornblocks of the tender without a jig. Since I don't also have a jig and the instructions are really "fuzzy" at that point can you please explain how you did it?

Cheers

Andreas

Andreas,

From memory, I think it was just a case of centring the hornguides in the slots and checking that the axles were square to the frames when tacking the second hornguide in place. The fold-out tabs on the hornguide take care of getting the height right, so it is only a matter of judging when the guide is in the middle of the slot. Precise placement in the fore and aft direction is not too critical as there aren't any coupling rods to worry about, only the brake blocks, and I deliberately designed in a sensible clearance between these and the wheels so that absolute precisin is not a requirement.

Regards,

Jim

To make the cylinders demountable, I removed the top flange of the backing plate and soldered a 10 BA nut to the topside of the cylinder mounting tab. This allows the securing screws to be fitted to underneath. I'm trying to get the chassis as complete as possible, so that it can be sprayed before fitting the wheels.

post-6972-0-14019900-1399964887_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Saturday evening, not out on the town ( yet )  so onwards.. I wasn't happy with the positioning of the motion bracket, with the outer plate being outside the running plate, once added, it should look like it's top is behind the running plate flange. I should have checked the positioning before I added the running plate. So I cut the brackets out with the disk cutter and repositioned them further inboard. Also the top fold of the bracket was visible just below the running plate edge. I didn't like that, so added a strip of 5 thou brass that gives the flat appearance of the prototype. The outer bracket plate was then soldered over the top.

post-6972-0-02182000-1400361509.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all, a week in Majorca, and a week working away, garden and then some weathering jobs have delayed progress.

The chassis are both rolling with valve gear and with a few hours to spare I decided to roll the boilers etc. All these units are etches in 22 thou brass and I was a little daunted that I would be able to form them. Geoff Holts advice is good, I rolled the components cold initially - and the boiler and smokebox was no problem using the GW 10" rollers. The firebox was tricky, once the initial shape was formed , the reverse curve to the waist would be like trying to form a spring. So as my exploding gas torch has not been replaced, I resorted to my plumbing blowlamp outside on a brick, just heating the lower sides and letting them cool. I don't like annealing sheet really, 'cos it can distort the sheet if you don't get the heat evenly spread. However all was well and I was able to form the reverse curve using 15mm steel rod and the curvy bit of some ogee skirting board. I'll add  a pic to illustrate.

post-6972-0-41958000-1402469231_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Try using a Hot Air Gun/Paint Stripper tin any joints or seams wire the boilers and add the heat on the lowest setting it works a treat, leave the boiler wired and add the boiler bands in the same way use wooden cloths pegs if needed to hold anything in place.

Pete 

Thanks Pete - do you know, I think that's the one tool that I don't have!

As promised, here's how the firebox waist was formed, obviously my hands are missing as they are holding the camera!

post-6972-0-97995500-1402642295_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I spent the day on and off fitting the various wrappers to the end plates. Here I've been using copper wire, twisted tight to pull the wrappers tight to the formers for soldering.

post-6972-0-94107700-1402953257_thumb.jpg

Seeing the chassis units reminds me of the etching fault where the steam pipe castings fit. Somewhere along the way between the first and second sets of artwork, the half-etched recesses for the bottom ends of the steam pipes ended up being etched right through, thus removing any support for the castings. You will need to put a piece of scrap etch under the running boards before you finish off the smoke box saddle assembly. (For anyone building a 2-10-0, this problem was corrected.)

Regards,

Jim

Looking good......but a bit shiny for a "dubbie".

can anyone show me a link to who sells these kits? I've Googled them but get nowt near.

Edited by JeffP

Guest Isambarduk

Looking in the G0G Product Directory, there are three manufacturers of WD 2-8-0s:

1. Roxey Mouldings
    www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/686/7l18-wd-austerity-2-8-0/

2. Northants Model Railway Supplies
    www.nmrs-models.co.uk/ogauge/Locomotives/Page%202.html

3. Just Like The Real Thing
    www.justliketherealthing.co.uk/wd-280-austerity-o-gauge-kit-with-tender-p-193.html?cPath=5

so you have a choice!

David

Edited to correct link to Roxey Moulding 2-8-0   My apologies.

Edited by Isambarduk

David,

Of the three, the NMRS one is, I believe, the original Wagon & Carriage Works kit, having passed through several owners in the mean time. It was the many shortcomings of this kit that caused me to design the Snowhill one. I can't comment on the JLTRT one, having not built it (nor would I want to), but it did miss some opportunities with its resin boiler to do some things that I couldn't do, like properly recessing the safety valves and feed valve into the cladding. It doesn't have the offset in the front section of the coupling rods, which must make the clearances behind the crosshead questionable. It does have the correct wheelbase, but then getting the brake gear in between the oversize finescale wheels is much trickier (which is why the Snowhill (now Roxey) one is slightly longer, although only a purist with calibrated eyeballs would actually notice).

Regards,

Jim

• Like 1

Nearly £450 though? And another £170 for wheels?

7mm steam outline kits have shot up in price in the last two years.

Yet Heljan can produce an entire model for under £500, all wheels, two motors, finished and lighting, moving fans etc?

So........I either start saving, again, or wait for HJ to do it........could be a long wait.

Edited by JeffP

You could go for the economy version with it's ( white metal ) slide bars, one of the worst locos that I have had the misfortune to build, so at least you have got the choice of 3 nowadays.

Martyn.