The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Happy New Year to all, I hope 2014 is a good year for all, with peace and prosperity.

A rainy New Years day ( without a hangover ) is always good for modelling, and with my better half in bed with flu, I was able to get a good days work ( apart from nursing duties ) on the tenders and make good progress. One thing missing from the kit is the extra canopy that extends from the tender roof under the cab one. I fabricated them up from scrap brass - as it is a little easier to form than NS.

post-6972-0-04300600-1388660819_thumb.jpg

One noticeable absence, is the ribbing, and having been inside the tender myself! - it does need adding, so I shall check my stock of brass section.

post-6972-0-25380500-1388661120_thumb.jpg

post-6972-0-98694500-1388661164_thumb.jpg

Whilst digging through the photos, I couldn't resist this shot of my Bachmann Ivatt running on Charwelton. Converted from LMS livery, I recall it was a lot quicker to prepare than the7mm version:-

post-6972-0-92384900-1388661372_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

More rain, more modelling. After I had exhausted all I could do indoors on the lounge renovation, it was back to the modelling. A concerted effort on Sunday saw the tenders pretty well finished, apart from some final cleaning up and adding the pick ups. It's nice to build something with no white metal in at all...

post-6972-0-86308200-1389007220_thumb.jpg

I put the loco and tender together for the first time, there is a way to go yet, but it's looking good..

post-6972-0-60410100-1389007418_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

One thing missing from the kit is the extra canopy that extends from the tender roof under the cab one. I fabricated them up from scrap brass - as it is a little easier to form than NS.

Superb piece of work but I'm surprised to see that the canopy is not included in such an excellent kit. Interestingly, the College Models version,

(which was an awful kit)did included the canopy, so figure that out!

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter -

I have kept Dave Sharp fully informed of anything I have found in the build that needed addressing, as I've gone along, so maybe he will make some amendments.

A couple of friends have got the College Model version of the Ivatt 4, they are impressive when completed ( to finish one is quite an acheivement I believe ), but the proportions don't seem quite right . I never even started the one I had. Someone told me they were closer to 8mm to the foot in scale!

Best regards

Tony

More rain, more modelling. After I had exhausted all I could do indoors on the lounge renovation, it was back to the modelling. A concerted effort on Sunday saw the tenders pretty well finished, apart from some final cleaning up and adding the pick ups. It's nice to build something with no white metal in at all...

attachicon.gifP1010916.JPG

I put the loco and tender together for the first time, there is a way to go yet, but it's looking good..

attachicon.gifP1010912.JPG

I'm just going to get a towel to mop up the drool here.

The pony truck was a joy to build, I think there is about 26 parts in it - a little different to the one piece fold up in the DJH Fairburn. So one loco is close to the first track test, with the pick ups and motor fitted. The motor support is well designed and latches on to the gearbox spacer bar.

post-6972-0-17245500-1389970388_thumb.jpg

There is a regular workbench invader, Poppy has taken to sunning herself under the desk lamp.

post-6972-0-81820800-1389970448_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Both locomotives are ready for a track test this afternoon, in the meantime I have been working on the backheads - which consist of a chunky brass casting. I though I might need the blowlamp for this, but the 50W iron on high and 145 solder seems to have done the job. The glasses should be left and right handed, but I'm not too worried in such an enclosed cab. Here they are awaiting cleaning up, before adding the pipework. Again, it is all brass, which is rather nice to work with. For some reason, backheads are very satisfying to work on, maybe it's all those pipes...

post-6972-0-62011400-1391083430_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

LOL at Ozzy........I mean, the first time I actually tried to repair a washing machine, I discovered two important things: it's not cold and wet inside my house where the repair was taking place, and...I could upend the thing if necessary to get at the bottom more easily.

A backhead can be put in any position and there are no overhanging bits to get in the way.

IMHO, of course.

Hi Tony,

Well they say " Attention to detail " ,   it seems to me that you have got this off to a tee.

Lovely piece of workmanship, like the above post said I can't wait to see them weathered.

ATB,

Martyn.

I'm looking forward to getting them weathered too. A load of copper wire comes with the kit, but having done some electrical work - I keep a whole stock of different gauges. All the brackets and unions are castings that come with the kit apart from the square one I made up for the steam heating pipe under the cab.

Cheers

Tony

Was looking at my stocks yesterday while tidying...I have some 4mm diameter, used to be used as overhead three-phase electrics. I dug up a discarded piece about 18" long in France.

Now, what loco might use that....?

Exhaust injector feed on an 8F or BR Standard 4?

Having had some extra available time at home I've been able to press on and both loco bodys are pretty well finished, just leaving some pipework on the chassis. This week should see most of the work complete ready for painting. Then it is on to some commission work to earn a crust..

post-6972-0-15816900-1392297695_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The Ivatts are at a stage where the first one needs paint and as I won't be anywhere near anywhere to get it, they are to one side for the moment.

So the day job for the moment is to upgrade the running gear on 3 Bachmann Standard 4 tanks. I've made a start on preparing and cleaning up castings. The castings are cut from the sprue with a piercing saw, this gives more control over the cut than a slitting disk and doesn't present the risk of catapulting the casting into oblivion if the end of the cut is misjudged! The process here is to file clean any mating surfaces, remove any join marks, polish up any surfaces that should be polished and drill out any fitting holes.Here are the motion parts and bogie and pony truck parts for the 2nd loco in the set:-

post-6972-0-94666300-1392729422_thumb.jpg

Generally some cast items can be pretty rough looking, compared with the sheet metal components, take a look at this view:-

post-6972-0-70144700-1392729840_thumb.jpg

• Like 2