The Derby Line, Four Track LNER J6

dibateg

Yes - don't you just love castings!

Managed to get some light to be able to photo one of the Ivatts properly today. There are some pipes to add on the chassis, but they will be done when it is stripped down for painting:-

post-6972-0-39659200-1392744535_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have done - or at least 43156, 43155, is still bright and shiny.

I tend to batch everything, including painting and the chaos of the workbench contains 1 Ivatt in many bits, three coaches, 5 4mm GW and Cambrian signals and some prospective loco crew.

The trouble is with this weather is it's cold to have the window open, and I'm sure the Humbrol paint fumes sends me a bit nutty, I get moody and a bit heady. So it's a blast with the painting, then open the windows and clear off outside to cut down more trees.

post-6972-0-82688300-1393500401_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

MRJ.... I seem to have nearly all of them from No.1 Martyn. Not that I'm a hoarder in any way..

So here we are with at last the painted body on the chassis after fitting the decoder. It took about half an hour to assemble it as there are so many pipes and bits to poke into place. There is a lot of work still to do, tidying, windows, buffers, and remaining pipes, as well as weathering down, but you get the idea. The 9" numerals definitely work, 10" just looked far too large.
This is not 43155 which I had in the raw metal at Kettering yesterday, that folks might have seen - I don't work that fast....

post-6972-0-94838000-1393769870_thumb.jpg

And a before shot,

post-6972-0-22258400-1393769908_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

These look really good. I scratch built one in 4mm many years ago. Still would like to tackle a 7mm one but not sure if I could afford one of these. Maybe someone will want me to build one for them.

Are you lining either of yours?

• 3 weeks later...

So whilst I'm waiting for some final bits for the Ivatts, it's back to the new day job -  I'm back on the Standard Tank conversions. The bogies and pony trucks have been made up, and I have now begun on the chassis of 80154.

post-6972-0-64061900-1395178246_thumb.jpg

First task is to relocate the front stretcher to make a new pony truck pivot. These chassis are pretty hefty, but it's all brass, so easy enough to modify... I've dispensed with the chassis bottom plate.

post-6972-0-07426900-1395178606_thumb.jpg

Next,  I need to work out how to mount the bogie... tomorrow...

• Like 2

Conversions are always more work than a straight build, 'cos you've got to get all the stuff you don't want off first.

After some hefty work with the blow torch to remove the old fittings, the cylinders were prepared for the new ones:-

post-6972-0-26320200-1395252433_thumb.jpg

Here they are with the new fittings awaiting a cleanup.

post-6972-0-78945600-1395252468_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Steve -

this mornings work apart from trying to mend the central heating, has been to make a mounting point for the motion bracket and replace the crankpins with CPL ones tapped M2 to fit the existing bolts after the giant heads have been cut off. The return crank is soldered to the turned down head of a M2 screw. Due to the narrowness of the frames, the motion bracket casting have been spaced out for the frames with some box section brass.The wheels have a great deal of sideplay, this will be reduced by making nylon 'C' washers sprung over the axles to reduce that.

post-6972-0-55766500-1395322243_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibateg
  • Like 5

I'll do some comparison shots later as I have several chassis' to work on Jeff.

Most of the work is done now, and here are the motion units awaiting a final clean up. As the chassis is quite narrow, I have used square tube to space the motion castings out to the right position.

post-6972-0-90932800-1395477115_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I've just bought a 9F, off a well-known auction site.

A very old kit, 20 years now, but WELL up to modern standards.

Sounds like you have some interesting bits stashed away Jeff. Just need to build a few and do a slice of Doncaster like my canton to show them off.