RMweb

16t minerals

• RMweb Gold

errr shown in #1524 on prev page (except I've forgotten how to get pic to display so just had the link)

hey you dont hear me complainin, done some yourself too, like the Marylebone one above ;)

I didnt spot it last page to be honest.

the Heathfield one is a cracker, dont see it modelled like that.

he's got some great shots, I like this one..

8565630188_247dded220_b.jpg
  • Like 3

hey you dont hear me complainin, done some yourself too, like the Marylebone one above ;)

I didnt spot it last page to be honest.

the Heathfield one is a cracker, dont see it modelled like that.

he's got some great shots, I like this one..

8565630188_247dded220_b.jpg

Nice picture. It's got a replacement side door from a riveted 16T mineral.

I was just wondering if anyone had modelled a Dia. 1/116 wagon or if there are any photos of the prototype. It would be interesting to see how the aluminium bodies weathered and would make an interesting contrast to the usual steel-bodied weathering.

Another thing - is there a conversion kit available in 7mm to turn an unfitted 16-tonner into a fitted one?

As no one replied in answer to the question about vac-fitting a 7mm wagon, I've bodged it using scrap box bits that have been left over from other wagon kits and Ambis brake levers that are left over from another project. It represents one that was converted from unfitted in 1966-68.

post-494-0-24530100-1385988068.jpg

The differences being the axleboxes (tho this isn't neccesarily always a prototype difference but it's on the wagon in the photo I'm going off), brake gear layout (shoes on both sides and Morton lever), bracing bar between the axle guards and, of course, the vac cylinder and pipes. The rest is Parkside as per the kit. I'll add instanter couplings, the rest of the vac pipe under the wagon and the appropriate livery to finish it.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 5

What an interesting thread this, very informative. I am at present putting together a train of 16ton minerals and would like to ask a question,

Can I mix the grey minerals with brown ones?

Am I right in thinking the  brown (fitted) ones would be positioned at the front of the train?

Is there a maximum number of unfitted that can be positioned at the rear? 

Thanks

Ian H

What an interesting thread this, very informative. I am at present putting together a train of 16ton minerals and would like to ask a question,

Can I mix the grey minerals with brown ones?

Am I right in thinking the  brown (fitted) ones would be positioned at the front of the train?

Is there a maximum number of unfitted that can be positioned at the rear? 

Thanks

Ian H

Ian

There is no problem with mixing fitted and unfitted wagons it just means that fitted ones are running unfitted if mixed, fitted heads were not mandatory but would depend on local practices and/or maximum load for unfitted trains!

Mark Saunders

Many thanks for your help Mark,

I knew someone on here would know the answer. I think with the range of ready-to-run stock available nowadays we should be able to make up a reasonable rake that is fairly prototypical,  my problem is knowing have I got it right. It would be great if someone could give us information on freight formations thus allowing us a chance to make up a proper train.

Ian H

Ian

There is no problem with mixing fitted and unfitted wagons it just means that fitted ones are running unfitted if mixed, fitted heads were not mandatory but would depend on local practices and/or maximum load for unfitted trains!

Mark Saunders

If a fitted head was required, would the NCB engine crews shunt the train into order? It's just that I read somewhere that when vac-fitted minerals were introduced there were delays in making up trains because the NCB shunters didn't "do" brake pipes (presumably the BR guard had to connect up all the pipes himself?). So would NCB engine crews go to the trouble of shunting fitted wagons togther, or would the BR crew and engine have to do this?

If a fitted head was required, would the NCB engine crews shunt the train into order? It's just that I read somewhere that when vac-fitted minerals were introduced there were delays in making up trains because the NCB shunters didn't "do" brake pipes (presumably the BR guard had to connect up all the pipes himself?). So would NCB engine crews go to the trouble of shunting fitted wagons togther, or would the BR crew and engine have to do this?

From observation of the formation of trains on the Llanelly and Mynydd Mawr and Burry Port and Gwendreath Valley in the late 1960s/early 1970s, trains ran without any brake pipes connected until they arrived at Llandeilo Junction, which marshalled trains for onward despatch. This was despite the L&MMR having some very steep gradients. The only instances I can think off where trains left pits with brake pipes coupled was when they were block trains, whose pipes hadn't been uncoupled in the first place.

Many thanks for your help Mark,

I knew someone on here would know the answer. I think with the range of ready-to-run stock available nowadays we should be able to make up a reasonable rake that is fairly prototypical,  my problem is knowing have I got it right. It would be great if someone could give us information on freight formations thus allowing us a chance to make up a proper train.

Ian H

Have a look for the David Ratcliffe book on freight train compositions, covering a period from the early 1970s onwards.

Have a look for the David Ratcliffe book on freight train compositions, covering a period from the early 1970s onwards.

Thanks for help Brian, I'll have a look for it although the period you mention is a bit later than my modelling era. I'm interested in the late 50's early 60's.

Ian