Prototype HST Power Car to return to the main line?

Can the prototype work in multiple with production power cars?

Between 'Prototype' and 'Production' power cars, a couple of wires got crossed over. BR Research found out the hard way when using two production cars for the first time with Promethus. When power was applied, nothing seemed to happen in forward or reverse apart from a bit of shuffling. It was then noticed that both power cars were in forward or reverse instead of one in forward and the other in reverse. Joe Muggins was sat at track side waiting for it to show :fool:

• 5 months later...

Had a chat with one of the Project Miller volunteers whilst cabbing the prototype at the Etches Park open day. He said there were absolutely no plans for mainline running due to the difficulty and expense of fitting all the required modern safety systems. I did wonder if an itinerary could be devised where the prototype was always the trailing power car but he thought that was highly unlikely!

Rob

Between 'Prototype' and 'Production' power cars, a couple of wires got crossed over. BR Research found out the hard way when using two production cars for the first time with Promethus. When power was applied, nothing seemed to happen in forward or reverse apart from a bit of shuffling. It was then noticed that both power cars were in forward or reverse instead of one in forward and the other in reverse. Joe Muggins was sat at track side waiting for it to show :fool:

They rewired it this way in preservation too. Two hst electricians found them a test box to try a few months ago and offered a bit of help in the right direction.

Yet another step closer!

http://www.railwaymagazine.co.uk/news/prototype-hst-power-car-works-first-train-for-38-years

Would have been good to see.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

I did  :sungum: and all we thought was the negative effect it was going to have on our beloved Westerns..............how time changes one's perspective !  :)

• Like 1

As I have said before, great work and when it DOES go mainline, I shall be there!!!

Have to nickpick about the ground crew in the vid though. Standing on railheads,sleepers and running on ballast,no bump cap........ !!

Edited by Cornish Triang Paul

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sadly the 125 Group have announced that 41001 will be returning to the NRM in early November as there has been no agreement with the NRM to extend the loan agreement. 

See tribute article on their news page

https://www.125group.org.uk/

Wondering if there will be a BOGOF offer on ex-traffic class 43s? Two good ones needed.

• Informative/Useful 4

I guess perhaps as HSTs are now coming off lease, 43002 has been donated to the NRM as well that maybe they believe the 125 group should be obtaining production power cars under their original plans.

The longer 41001 is operating the greater the risk of accident and something so important being damaged or worse lost.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As much as I feel for the 125 Group, I can’t but feel that returning the prototype HST power car might be for the best financially for them.  With so many production HST’s coming off or already off lease, surely it would be better as the group to acquire one of those instead?

The costs of getting one back on the mainline would be minimal compared to using the prototype which as others have mentioned, would need a full kit installed which in the eyes of the NRM, it then becomes non authentic.  Use the experience as a learning curve and if it time the NRM decides to let it venture outside the walls of York, then coming under the custodianship of the group again is a very real possibility.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jools1959 said:

As much as I feel for the 125 Group, I can’t but feel that returning the prototype HST power car might be for the best financially for them.  With so many production HST’s coming off or already off lease, surely it would be better as the group to acquire one of those instead?

The costs of getting one back on the mainline would be minimal compared to using the prototype which as others have mentioned, would need a full kit installed which in the eyes of the NRM, it then becomes non authentic.  Use the experience as a learning curve and if it time the NRM decides to let it venture outside the walls of York, then coming under the custodianship of the group again is a very real possibility.

The NRM seem quite happy to allow non-authentic bits

to be fitted to other locos they own.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

After  all the work that went into this , this is an absolute travesty.  The NRM have been  lambasted for giving stream locomotives away why couldn't they give this away.  After all it's not that long ago it was dumped in the annex with a view to sectioning it. 

No doubt once it returns to york some petty excuses will be found to make sure it never runs again like the rest of their diesel fleet. 

Never thought I'd say this but the NRM is quite as horrible organisation these days 

• Agree 6

16 hours ago, woodenhead said:

The longer 41001 is operating the greater the risk of accident and something so important being damaged or worse lost.

But you could apply that logic to anything running in a preserved railway.

I guess the success of the prototype is that not many people have hauled by it were as a production run HST may take a while to gain a following.

Paul