Bachmann 2-EPB Photo Review

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Hattons now listing the BR blue EPB with corrected coach numbers so looks like the replacement bodyshells have arrived.

http://www.ehattons.com/26453/Bachmann_UK_31_375_Class_416_2_car_EPB_EMU_in_BR_blue_with_corrected_running_numbers_/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Premium

Hattons now listing the BR blue EPB with corrected coach numbers so looks like the replacement bodyshells have arrived.

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

On seeing this, I contacted Bachmann directly about the replacement bodies. I was told that these latest versions are the incorrect originals renumberred by the factory in China (so the production run must have been sent back). They are not replacement bodies and none have been made yet. According to Bachmann you can't tell the difference from the original, so I wonder how they were done? Surely a blue patch with new number on top would be visible.

Prompted by the news that Hattons had recieved the correctly numbered Blue 2-EPB, I too contacted them regarding availability of the replacement bodyshells, and today reicved the following reply;

Thank you for your recent e-mail

The replacement bodies are now on their way here. Please send in your original proof of purchase with your name and address details and as soon as they arrive a replacement body will be despatched, many thanks.

Regards

Service Team

Bachmann Europe plc

I'm guessing that 'on their way' means that they're on the boat, but good news none the less.

Now where did I put the recipt.............

• RMweb Premium

Prompted by the news that Hattons had recieved the correctly numbered Blue 2-EPB, I too contacted them regarding availability of the replacement bodyshells, and today reicved the following reply;

Thank you for your recent e-mail

The replacement bodies are now on their way here. Please send in your original proof of purchase with your name and address details and as soon as they arrive a replacement body will be despatched, many thanks.

Regards

Service Team

Bachmann Europe plc

I'm guessing that 'on their way' means that they're on the boat, but good news none the less.

Now where did I put the recipt.............

I've just received an email from Hattons to let me know that retailers will not be getting replacement bodies and that they will only be available from Bachmann service department direct, with original proof of purchase.

Doesn't say whether they've arrived though...

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have the Blue one

bought it from Olivias sound fitted

sound is in my opinion not so good

especialy at the 265 Pound price tag

compressor is ok and cuts in and out while stationary but could be more frequent

motor whine is a bit on the quite side

there is a pop option althou i cant hear it ??

the horn is dismal nothing like i remember and almost inaudible

rail clack is there but much to loud and sounds nothing like rail clack

( they told me that it plays at random when running but i never found it to be so )

not so worried about that as i already got rail clack built in for all units, smal nicks in track at intervals )

whistle for dispatch and condutors signal is ok

main problem i find is when stationary it just sits there,, with the ocasional compressor cutting in

i seem to remember that there was always some kind of hum or whine going on

( spent hours on these between Gillingham and London Bridge )

the other disapointment is the head code

one end permantly read the other white

should not have been difficult to have put clear or defused white each end with a red/white bicoulor led that changed with direction

I realy need 2 more of these units later on as money permits

will have to find the Howes Utube slots to see what that sounds like

apart from that ,,

Rgds

Mike

• RMweb Gold

main problem i find is when stationary it just sits there,, with the ocasional compressor cutting in

i seem to remember that there was always some kind of hum or whine going on

( spent hours on these between Gillingham and London Bridge )

The sound you are referring to was the motor-generator, as fitted to all SR mainline stock from the '30s, and the EPBs et seq. This ran all the time the unit was cut in, so by and large the only time you would NOT hear one would be in depots, and even then they would be running from early morning, having been cut in by the poor 0300 (or similar God-forsaken time!) heaters driver, responsible for making the units fit for his colleagues to take out later.

I have a printable confirmation of purchase email from Hattons as my delivery note was lost in a house move. Do they do replacement delivery notes?

I would hope that the purchase email is suffiicient to prove your purchase. Who keeps all their delivery notes? I certainly dispose of them once I am sure the model is undamaged.

Bachmann would not accept the email via email from me - I was aksed to mail the invoice and I sent them a copy of the email as well. I have heard nothing back from them, so I am assuming the documents must have arrived and all, so far, is in order...

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann would not accept the email via email from me - I was aksed to mail the invoice and I sent them a copy of the email as well. I have heard nothing back from them, so I am assuming the documents must have arrived and all, so far, is in order...

Strange. When I emailed Bachmann to ask what to do, I was advised to reply to their email enclosing a copy of my invoice/delivery note, which I did in the form of a .pdf file at the end of November.

Not heard or received anything since, so I too am assuming all is in order and the bodies are not yet available to send out.

Bachmann were quick off the mark informing customers via their website and the railway press of their mistake and plans to remedy the error.

I'm holding off until they put an official memo out telling us what to do and where to send the original receipts. If we all send receipts en masse before they've set up an official system we risk losing our proof of purchase and they risk being besieged by post that they won't want to lose.

I'm sure Bachmann know how many units were sent to retailers and they should be able to gain from the retailers how many were sold and how many remain on shelves.

From my experience their customer service is second to none and I can't see it being any different this time around.

Yes, I too am waiting for the official notification on their website before sending in my proof of purchase for two blue units.

On a different note, I received my NSE liveried unit yesterday. I quickly tested it on DC before fitting a Lenz Silver decoder and running it in on DCC.

One thing I noted when watching it running in the dark was that the interior lights shine through the NSE white on each of the compartment doors. I think I will be painting the interior walls of each coach before too long!

And now, just for a little lighter relief, here are a couple of pics of my new Bachmann 2EPB units, firstly the NSE one on its own then both running in multiple (or consisted, if you prefer!). The Network SouthEast liveried unit came from the Bachmann Collectors Club while the standard issue blue and grey unit (also with NSE branding) is my combined Christmas and birthday present from my wife.

321_070633_500000000.jpg

321_100703_510000000.jpg

321_100703_510000001.jpg

All five of my 2EPB units have Lenz Silver 21-pin decoders fitted.

Agreed!

Fantastic stuff. I never liked Blue & Grey (Being a child of the NSE 'Toothpaste' Era) but I have to say its growing on me more & more. A B&G EPB or a CEP is on my list to purchase in the future. :D Is that a Bullied Tin HAL I spy on your overbridge by any chance?

Cheers,

~ Gary

A fine show of SR hardware there Jeff. Not only the 2EPB units but plenty of other rolling stock and the art-deco station to match. :sungum:

Thanks Rick. I should point out that the platforms are still under construction and, therefore, the buildings are sitting a little unevenly at this stage. That wll all improve when it is finished properly.

Agreed!

Fantastic stuff. I never liked Blue & Grey (Being a child of the NSE 'Toothpaste' Era) but I have to say its growing on me more & more. A B&G EPB or a CEP is on my list to purchase in the future. :D Is that a Bullied Tin HAL I spy on your overbridge by any chance?

Cheers,

~ Gary

Hi Gary. Thanks for the kind comments. That is, indeed, a 'tin'HAL, under construction from the Ayjay resin kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings!!

My four replacement blue EPB bodies arrived today, complete with the original reciepts.

I feel a project or two coming on involving a 4 EPB, Tadpole unit and possibly a 2 Hap conversion... busy times ahead!

Now back to the drawing board!

Cheers

Graeme

Hi All.

If anyone Doesn't want/need their incorrectly numbered BR Blue EPB Bodies, once they get their replacement shells from Bachmann, Could I Ask them to drop me a PM Please?

After 1 Pair and a DMBSO if Possible.

Many Thanks and TIA,

Mike.

I am considering getting some mark 1 chassis (Coopercraft??) and mounting the incorrectly numbered bodies on those. Possibilities include repainting and renumbering, or converting them to something else, like a 2HAP or departmental unit (which would make a quick, crappy paint job look realistic!!).

• 1 month later...

I am considering getting some mark 1 chassis (Coopercraft??) and mounting the incorrectly numbered bodies on those. Possibilities include repainting and renumbering, or converting them to something else, like a 2HAP or departmental unit (which would make a quick, crappy paint job look realistic!!).

DC kits are listing the chassis, bogies and underframe components from their EPB kit on their website, not very pricey and will make a far more accurate model than a mk1 coach chassis.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

Quick question, what would be the latest timescale the blue/grey unit could be run in? Im planning an early 90's small 3rd rail layout?

Archived