Severn Valley Railway

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I was reading an interesting article in tonights local paper on the possibilty of a new station being built on the SVR to serve the safari park.It would be beneficial to both concerns and cut the need for cars on the park.The railway would benefit too with increased passengers so it looks like a win win situation.

No official plans as yet and it sounds easy but the amount of infrastructure that goes into a station would need thinking about as well as substantial costs.Sounds good though.

It wouldn't exactly be a new station, there was a 'station' there until 1920 (Rifle Range Halt) that could be reinstated. But you'd have thought that if there were any legs in the idea that they would have reinstated it already.

Surely the point of a safari park is that you drive round the enclosures. Not sure if I fancy getting off a train and walking through the big cat enclosure to the cafe!

Seriously I think it's a great idea. I've taken my nephew and niece to the SVR and we always combine it with a trip to the Safari park, it's a fantastic day out. If we can leave the car at Kidderminster all day (or even go by train) then even better

• RMweb Premium

could they not just divert and run the train through the park?:laugh:

sounds like a good idea, take it would involve a coach transfer??

Apparently this is part of a bigger plan the safari park has and has been in discussions with the railway for some time. At the moment it just appears to be an idea and has not been developed into a formal plan of what it would be, or how it would happen. Nor are there any timescales.

The railway has some big challenges at the moment having had to spend over 300K at Arley and Sandbourne viaduct and next winter needing to sort out the drainage and track through Kidderminster tunnel, then after than Sandbourne needs more work, fishermans crossing needs sorting out, more of the track needs replacing..... all good fun, oh and thats before we start talking about engines.

They have released plans for a waterpark and hotel, I suspect later they will look at other developments along the lines of Alton Towers/Flamingoland to develop a resort all of which supports the link up with the SVR as the safari element becomes only one part of a wider theme park.

This will benefit the park, SVR and the local roads.

Actually when you look at this one a wider scale, ten years ago preserved railways and traction were for enthusiasts only, but now there are several schemes that are turning these enthusiast led railways back into privately owned public service lines:

• SVR - linking up with the Safari park to offer a route in to the park from Network Rail's Kidderminster station
  • ELR - looking at ways to serve Manchester commuters
  • Through ticketing to Wirksworth

Colonel Stephens would have been proud to see all these light railways sprouting up.

• RMweb Premium

They have released plans for a waterpark and hotel, I suspect later they will look at other developments along the lines of Alton Towers/Flamingoland to develop a resort all of which supports the link up with the SVR as the safari element becomes only one part of a wider theme park.

This will benefit the park, SVR and the local roads.

Actually when you look at this one a wider scale, ten years ago preserved railways and traction were for enthusiasts only, but now there are several schemes that are turning these enthusiast led railways back into privately owned public service lines:

• SVR - linking up with the Safari park to offer a route in to the park from Network Rail's Kidderminster station
  • ELR - looking at ways to serve Manchester commuters
  • Through ticketing to Wirksworth

Colonel Stephens would have been proud to see all these light railways sprouting up.

There is an argument that it could mean fewer people travel the lenght of the line and therefore the average fare per head drops further, as has already happened with the museum at Highley. There would also be implications for car parking at Kidderminster - the car park of which is already struggling.

Through trains from Network Rail is an interesting one and one which will be easier following the resignalling next year. However the flip to that is capacity. Section time at the moment is 12 minutes - which of course is longer when you allow for the signalling moves and unloading passengers. All of this is surmountable, however it would need a considerable amount of money - and if the safari park are willing to pay then it might have legs.

I don't think the SVR would want the cars parking at Kidderminster, this would be a NR/SVR interchange with the public arriving by NR train and swapping to SVR trains for the remainder of the journey. Direct services by NR trains is an interesting option but whilst it would give the SVR some track access charge income it would not necessarily raise the profile of the railway or encourage visitors further up the line whereas using an SVR service parents might be more inclined to take the children all the way to Bridgenorth as part of the stay at the safari park.

• 2 weeks later...

If this brings more fare paying passengers to the SVR then that's a good thing. If there's a hotel going there then this should encourage people to have a ride on the train one day and safari park the next.

A simple halt or magic kingdom style station????

And I think it's in the Elephant enclosure that the SVR passes the Safari park so the kids and wife get entertained by animals and I get to watch steam trains - if they could just move the lions nearer the track as well.

Not nice to the linesiders!

Don't worry: they'll probably introduce "single lion working".....

• 1 year later...

Archived