QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

Thank you all for your support. I felt I needed something more to do on the QUAI:87 layout. Extending it is not really practical nor what I fancied doing, I rather like the compactness of it as it is and adding anything extra to an already overcrowded layout of not much more than 3 sq m was going to require a bit if thinking about. After a recent visit to some of the brown coal mining areas in the Czech Republic and seeing some of their electric locomotives with six pantographs got me to thinking. So, I thought, if I dream up some off scene (and actually not modelled) exchange sidings I could have the odd electric locomotive trundling onto the quays to deliver wagon(s) directly to the wagon hoist. It's proving a little tricker than I imagined arranging the locations for the overhead masts and pull offs etc, and some of the clearances are going to be a bit tight between some of the buildings. Threading the overhead around and under the high level line gantry work is also going to have to be carefully considered. And before that I have to address the crossing of the new OHL work (1500v) with that of the tramway (750v). In real life this difficulty would be overcome with a short neutral section at the crossing and coasting over but that isn't going to work in P87. Trials have yet to be carried out to see If this can be solved by seeing how well the extraction company locomotives perform on 750v and then run them up from the sidings on the lower voltage. All this just for something to do - though I may just cut down on the number of pantographs.

• Like 8

Welcome back, Brian. Obviously the rumours about you languishing in an East European Gulag were a wicked fabrication. :D  

I thought we might have seen you at the GRS do today!

Thank you Howard, some of them weren't too bad once I got used to the Gulash soup. Long time since I was with the GRS by the way.

Baron.

Hello Brian,

Are those Czech mining locos much the same as those used in eastern Germany (ex DDR)?

If so, I have an interesting article about them in "Today Railways, Europe" from not too long ago! They fascinating machines and it would be really something to see a model of one.
 However, I believe the extra side pans were/are to collect power while running through the coal loading area. I'm sure someone will happily correct me if that's wrong but I'm quite sure this was the case.

Cheers,

John E.

Thank you all for your support. I felt I needed something more to do on the QUAI:87 layout. Extending it is not really practical nor what I fancied doing, I rather like the compactness of it as it is and adding anything extra to an already overcrowded layout of not much more than 3 sq m was going to require a bit if thinking about. After a recent visit to some of the brown coal mining areas in the Czech Republic and seeing some of their electric locomotives with six pantographs got me to thinking. So, I thought, if I dream up some off scene (and actually not modelled) exchange sidings I could have the odd electric locomotive trundling onto the quays to deliver wagon(s) directly to the wagon hoist. It's proving a little tricker than I imagined arranging the locations for the overhead masts and pull offs etc, and some of the clearances are going to be a bit tight between some of the buildings. Threading the overhead around and under the high level line gantry work is also going to have to be carefully considered. And before that I have to address the crossing of the new OHL work (1500v) with that of the tramway (750v). In real life this difficulty would be overcome with a short neutral section at the crossing and coasting over but that isn't going to work in P87. Trials have yet to be carried out to see If this can be solved by seeing how well the extraction company locomotives perform on 750v and then run them up from the sidings on the lower voltage. All this just for something to do - though I may just cut down on the number of pantographs.

Hope it all pans out. :)

Andy

Hello Brian,

Are those Czech mining locos much the same as those used in eastern Germany (ex DDR)?

If so, I have an interesting article about them in "Today Railways, Europe" from not too long ago! They fascinating machines and it would be really something to see a model of one.

However, I believe the extra side pans were/are to collect power while running through the coal loading area. I'm sure someone will happily correct me if that's wrong but I'm quite sure this was the case.

Cheers,

John E.

Hello John, are they the same as the DDR ones? I'm not sure, depends which ones you're thinking of I suppose.The ones I came across this trip (at a mine near Chomutov) are as attached photo. Looking at them again now I see they are rather too big to be trundling around QUAI:87 with just a couple of wagons, so I may have to come up with something a little more in keeping (unless Roco bring one out). Y'r right about the side pantos though.

I've been taking TREu since Nr 1 but cant quite place the article - the library mistress hereabouts is sometimes not always as attendant to her duties as she should be.

Regards, Brian

post-5773-0-97397700-1437153784_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Brian,

At first I thought the Czech one was a somewhat stretched version of the DDR one, then I realised it is a three section unit.

Blimey! That's very different and a B-B-B to boot!

Not much of a cab is it!?!

I guess the article I was on about was roughly two years ago, embarrassingly I can't lay my hands on it, sorry.

Cheers,

John.

Hello John, are they the same as the DDR ones? I'm not sure, depends which ones you're thinking of I suppose.The ones I came across this trip (at a mine near Chomutov) are as attached photo. Looking at them again now I see they are rather too big to be trundling around QUAI:87 with just a couple of wagons, so I may have to come up with something a little more in keeping (unless Roco bring one out). Y'r right about the side pantos though.

I've been taking TREu since Nr 1 but cant quite place the article - the library mistress hereabouts is sometimes not always as attendant to her duties as she should be.

Regards, Brian

Interesting loco's.

Have seen similar operating in China (Coal and steel) alongside steam locos.

Also a narrow gauge of same make in Germany.

Edited by stadman

The fairly easily EBay obtainable old US "Roundhouse" box cab (or stretched a bit) might make a believable mid size electric loco conversion.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Sounds like an idea. Motors wound for 600v I imagine so should be able to run it on the tramway supply. I have somewhat missed having electric traction on QUAI:87 (tram excepted) especially after running the all electric AXALP for so many years.

Regards, Brian.

Different loco in China https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/little-old-different-and-unusual-locomotives/photos/photostream/lightbox/332064466?orderBy=mtime&sortOrder=desc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/332064466

Looks like it was  abetter loco with  a tower added for pickup.

I leaned over the side trying not to touch whilst grounded, it looked rickety.

The place was deserted although faces started appearing at doors and windows as we (group) took interest an photos.

Hello John,   some wag suggested the side pantos were for pickup on curves on super super superelevated track. 

Brian

Hello Andy,

Sounds like an idea. Motors wound for 600v I imagine so should be able to run it on the tramway supply. I have somewhat missed having electric traction on QUAI:87 (tram excepted) especially after running the all electric AXALP for so many years.

Regards, Brian.

Maybe something in the Roco range which is slightly smaller ........

post-20303-0-37010900-1437233740.jpg

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenshodo-HO-Scale-16-5mm-52019-Electric-Locomotive-Type-Toshiba-40t-Standard-/150977847153

$T2eC16ZHJGkE9no8iL8lBQ7nwgQnL!~~60_57.J

Possibly a bit expensive for older folk?

43026.jpg

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/brawa-drg-e95-02-epoche-ii-29057-0.html

Lots of wheels, grills, and articulated to boot?

mR0bt98J1WTPsyJQXI8wZNg.jpg

Maybe one of the above to start with?  Then gradually add to it as the mood strikes?  :)

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenshodo-HO-Scale-16-5mm-52019-Electric-Locomotive-Type-Toshiba-40t-Standard-/150977847153

$T2eC16ZHJGkE9no8iL8lBQ7nwgQnL!~~60_57.J

Possibly a bit expensive for older folk?

43026.jpg

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/brawa-drg-e95-02-epoche-ii-29057-0.html

Lots of wheels, grills, and articulated to boot?

mR0bt98J1WTPsyJQXI8wZNg.jpg

Maybe one of the above to start with?  Then gradually add to it as the mood strikes?   :)

Older folk? I may be in the low 70's but that's only 25 in celcius!

Brian

• Like 3

The prices quoted for these models on eBay are a joke. You can get decorated versions of the same model through Japanese retailers like HobbySearch for about US$120.

10091042a5.jpg

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10091042

I have two of these locos - they're very nice models with smooth, quiet and powerful mechanisms.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

In this instance, perhaps we are looking at an 'industrial' loco, including some battering?

Since indeed the loco is a 'narrow gauge' prototype, then perhaps the slight increase in scale will bulk it up to standard gauge heftiness?

If the pan proves a bit large[r], then there's always Sommerfeldt?