QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

Thank you, Alastair, for you kind appreciation of the new loco and overhead. The loco was made for me by by a firm called DINGLER, although they didn't know they were doing it for me at the time. It was a special edition for Deutsche Post I believe. The additional pantographs are my own work, N scale. Wheels easily changed to P87. The contact wire is the real thing - wire (piano, 24 gauge, I use it for all my catenary work) - I just couldn't get enough current to flow through nicker elastic. And the elastic would be too tempting to the crocheting crew who will of course put the loco on the wrong way round. B

• Like 2

If you are looking for a different system for pickups you might find this link interesting; http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/industrial/ont/canada_crushed.htmThe motor used for transferring loads from the quarry to the main line exchange sidings had side pans that can be seen in some of the pictures.

Cheers,

David

• Like 3

If you are looking for a different system for pickups you might find this link interesting; http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/industrial/ont/canada_crushed.htmThe motor used for transferring loads from the quarry to the main line exchange sidings had side pans that can be seen in some of the pictures.

Cheers,

David

Thanks for that, David - just when I thought it was safe to settle on a design for the Quays. Seriously though it's amazing what's out there (or has been). The next stage on QUAI:87 is to run the wires under the overhead line, if that makes sense. Thinking of attaching the line brackets directly to the support columns although this might make disassembly/reassembly  for transport to exhibitions a bit tricky. Have to see. Thank you for your interest. B

As most are aware there are sharp curves aplenty on QUAI:87 and therefore we have to be very careful shunting LWB wagons about the place. I came across this prototype solution (in Hungary) which I'm dying to give a try on the layout. See how the leading off side wheels follow a different course to the trailing. Bet there was a lot of flange squeal! Where to fit it in though? B

As an aside, I think this gives a wonderful illustration of how the leading wheelset vs the trailing approaches a frog (common crossing) on a curved turnout. B

post-5773-0-41106300-1444980931_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As most are aware there are sharp curves aplenty on QUAI:87 and therefore we have to be very careful shunting LWB wagons about the place. I came across this prototype solution (in Hungary) which I'm dying to give a try on the layout. See how the leading off side wheels follow a different course to the trailing. Bet there was a lot of flange squeal! Where to fit it in though? B

As an aside, I think this gives a wonderful illustration of how the leading wheelset vs the trailing approaches a frog (common crossing) on a curved turnout. B

How does the bit on the left work? Wheels ride on top of it?

Saw similar in Italy once. The Speno factory near Venice had one rail plated over to enable vehicle to get inside the workshop, sharp curve leading into.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4743521,12.2364779,3a,37.5y,265.6h,82.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKMgwZYvgautFIYEL-vJ6EQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Kev S

Edited by stadman
  • Like 4

Saw similar in Italy once. The Speno factory near Venice had one rail plated over to enable vehicle to get inside the workshop, sharp curve leading into.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4743521,12.2364779,3a,37.5y,265.6h,82.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKMgwZYvgautFIYEL-vJ6EQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Kev S

Nice one Kev, thanks very much for sharing with me. This type should be easier to incorporate into my existing trackwork on the quays. I'll see how I get on. B

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think the Adams Radial Tank is one of my favourite locos. (In green and the Adams fireplace debate aside). Horsetan asked if I would be turning the flanges down. Would it upset the apple cart too much if I tuned them to P87 (as opposed to P4) so's I could run it along the quays?

I think the Adams Radial Tank is one of my favourite locos. (In green and the Adams fireplace debate aside). Horsetan asked if I would be turning the flanges down. Would it upset the apple cart too much if I tuned them to P87 (as opposed to P4) so's I could run it along the quays?

I believe the correct response in this case is, ahem, "it's your train set".

Cheers,

David