QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

The new overhead linework on QUAI:87 is coming along at a cracking (snails) pace. I have had to make a couple of changes to how I thought it was going to be, not to the route to be followed or the motive power or the reason for the line but rather to the masts and equipment. You see, as I said much earlier, I wanted the new industrial electrification to be seen as quite distinct from the existing tramway overhead. I realized, after I'd built most of the masts (to a differing design) that I had used the same colour (green) glass insulators as on the tram line. So I opted to change all the green insulators to an orangy/brown colour. Unsolder, bend, replace, resolder, everyone's been down that road I imagine. The only thing now was the colour of the orangy/brown insulators clashed terribly with the nice oxide I had used for the masts so that they looked totally different to the tram masts. (We worry about such niceties in Zobland). The masts had to be repainted, a rather nice, I think, galvanised steel shade. Perhaps you can now see why it's taking so long - not forgetting the time out I have taken to restore the Stover Canal - that project is taking longer than all the layouts I have ever built altogether. Now, as you will see from the pictures, I notice that I haven't modeled the concrete bases the masts must surely be set in, rather than being just stuffed in the ground like I have done so I'll have to go back and do that. You may also notice that although the overhead wire has not been up all that long it has already turned from the lovely bright copper colour when put up to a rather fetching verdigris tone, which dare I say it, doesn't show up too well against the grayish masts. Oh well there it is, look ok when its all weathered a bit I expect. Also I suppose all the masts should really be on the outside of the curve but this would have meant, due to their necessary locations, somewhat too uneven support arm lengths, which I wasn't too keen on the look of, and I also wanted to keep the contact wire about centralish on its hanger wire for better appearance - the contact wire being already off centre of the track for reasons which may become apparent later - so its all now as you see it.

post-5773-0-84018900-1443035313_thumb.jpg

post-5773-0-60783700-1443035334_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Dear Baron,

If you'll forgive the transgression to your wisdom, but I have noted there's a potential dangerous situation occurring on the approach to the factory, in the form of de-wiring the electric loco. You see, it is quite dark in these regions, and especially so  after dark, and the position of the point is often not clear when approaching in the night. This will cause disruption to our customers and costs for the company. I trust you'll gracefully provide a workable solution.

Yours,

F. Acepalm

In other words, a working point indicator is called for Brian ;) Should have an indication to stop an electric loco when pointing for the wrong route :yes:

Dear Trouble Maker,

The Baron was thinking of making candles available for workers to purchase at their own experience to affix to their headgear with a lump of clay.

On a more serious note, I'll see what sort of contraption I can come up with, a pantograph smashboard perhaps, or just one of those blue and white diamond shaped signs hung up somewhere.

Yours, G. O. Away :jester:

Edited by Brian Harrap

Dear Trouble Maker,

The Baron was thinking of making candles available for workers to purchase at their own experience to affix to their headgear with a lump of clay.

On a more serious note, I'll see what sort of contraption I can come up with, a pantograph smashboard perhaps, or just one of those blue and white diamond shaped signs hung up somewhere.

Yours, G. O. Away :jester:

tower-2.jpg  tower-1.jpg

A possibly helpful example from Poleland.

All mod cons, bay window w/views.

Andy

• Like 1

tower-2.jpg  tower-1.jpg

A possibly helpful example from Poleland.

All mod cons, bay window w/views.

Andy

There was a time in the UK (1960s) when intrepid souls would live for a bet or perhaps for Charity(?) in a rather lower-key version of the above street furniture. we called them barrels. There's probably an entry in the Guinness Book of Records.

I am somewhat disturbed to learn from shop steward T R Ubbles that the operators of this magnificent model have to run such risks to life and limb. I am sure that they are / will be suitably rewarded with danger money?

• Like 2

There was a time in the UK (1960s) when intrepid souls would live for a bet or perhaps for Charity(?) in a rather lower-key version of the above street furniture. we called them barrels. There's probably an entry in the Guinness Book of Records.

I am somewhat disturbed to learn from shop steward T R Ubbles that the operators of this magnificent model have to run such risks to life and limb. I am sure that they are / will be suitably rewarded with danger money?

Sadly, the most dangerously affected of them will not be around to collect the danger money.  It may cost them an arm and a leg, so to speak

One has here a near-Continental layout made by a very nice British chap, being discussed by folk in Britain, the Continent and a UK ex-pat in California. How can it not be transcontinental? ;)

What's a "near-continental" layout :-  one that's located not far from le continent or one that maybe just looks a bit like one? 

B

How do you get into it, bring your own ladder?

B

The emergency route is the set of horizontal rods just visible on the RHS of the pole, in the LH picture.

But since this was Hollywood, they were able to hire (with free accommodation) from the huge pool of "just resting" lovely "starlets" with long golden hair, who would let it down, for the tower operators to climb up. And cook breakfast too I would imagine. . . . . .

• Like 2

I was lucky enough to be around when the elok came over from the open cast pit to try out some of the new OHL work on the quays. The main pantograph as you can see is positioned off centre to the port side of the loco to facilitate running down the street tramway tracks (different voltage) using a similarly offset contact wire. (Dual gauge catenary?). Just to add to the fun there are also two mini pantographs mounted to starboard to pick up current whilst running under the loading chutes at the pit, the already offset wiring not giving enough side clearance. The small side panto's, mounted at approx 45º, contact a steel strip alongside the track under the loader, rather like Southern third rail in the sky. As an aside some eloks at pits in China use side mounted trolley poles to serve this function - I was tempted - still might I suppose - always up for something unusual. B.  

post-5773-0-65431100-1444374757_thumb.jpg

post-5773-0-30308700-1444374772_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Very nice, Brian...with those side panto's [they're over there......Oh no they're not.....and so on] it shouldn't really matter if a ZOB-erk plonks the loco on the wrong way round....which I suppose, one of them might?

By the way....what loco was that, originally? :)