RMweb

QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

The key dimensions of the Tenshodo model of the Toshiba 40-ton steeplecab are as follows:

Length over headstocks - 125mm

Width over underframe - 33mm. Width over cab handrails 36mm

Height over cab roof - 48mm. Height over pantograph at maximum extension - 72mm

Bogie centres - 67mm

Bogie wheelbase - 30mm

Wheel diameter - 11mm.

The pantograph on the model represents a TDK-C type, and is relatively small. The photo I posted cheats a bit, the pan isn't quite touching the contact wire.

Although mainly used on 1067mm/3'6" gauge lines, there were versions of these locos on 1372mm and 1435mm gauge lines as well.

The model has a very nicely designed and made mechanism that picks up and drives on all 8 wheels. The mech is fairly heavy so the loco has good hauling power for it's size. Lighting is by directional LEDS, and there is an 8-pin DCC receptacle tucked away under one of the hoods. The undecorated models like those in Alistair's post have a pack of detailing parts including handrails, brake pipe hoses and marker lights.

As I mentioned earlier I have two of these locos, and I'm very pleased with their appearance and performance. The real locos were very durable and long-lived - even today there are still a few in service with Japanese private railways.

But if you fancy something smaller...

10206741a.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

Thank you all for your locomotive suggestions, I am spoilt for choice really. Special thanks to Neil Rushby for directing me to the little Dingler electric on ebay - I would never have come across it myself and now I've gone and bought the thing, waiting the postie with anticipation.

What I have to do now of course is some serious survey work as to where and how the electrification is to go. See attachment. The most obvious route is as shown by the red line (sorry about the wobbilyness of lines, not very good at lines), avoiding the narrow gap between buildings but unfortunately crossing the old Dutch style swing bridge (the white one) which is listed and therefore cannot be modified to take the OHL equipment. This means it will have to take the orange route through the tight spot and over the green bridge. Mostly the overhead line is arranged to swing with the bridge structure but I am tempted to just run it straight over the waterway. (Couldn't do that over the white bridge because of its construction). Must be a prototype for that somewhere, I hope. Masts, washing lines etc on the barges using the canal will have already been lowered to pass under imagined low clearance structures just of scene. Also I think I will design and build some different style masts, and paint them a differing colour to visually distinguish the two systems - we don't want some errant operator trying to drive the tram up to the interchange or arsey verky do we. Brass tubing and piano wire moving on site.

Baron.

post-5773-0-96085500-1437591850_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I'm aware of a small lift bridge that lifted the track about 7 ft, so well below the OHL wire. Said wire was therefore not interrupted. It was on the old double track Amsterdam-Utrecht line, now superseded with a higher bridge to take the full 4 track section passing the small canal.

Ah, the old lift bridge over the river Angstel opposite Mijnden, how could I forget it. Thanks for reminding me. That's the Baroness in the picture (no kidding) -  we spent several days at this location many years ago, watching the trains and the barges go by, whilst Herself recovered from a sprained ankle. As you say the bridge has been bypassed now and taken away but the sluice was still there on my last visit a couple of years ago. Baron

post-5773-0-90910200-1437657394_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I am intrigued to know what I am to Search and Destroy though (see on building in pic)

All evidence.

we spent several days at this location many years ago, watching the trains and the barges go by

The barriers were down that long?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally settled on the style of OHL mast for the new electrification on QUAI:87. As I said before I wanted something distinct from the tram line mast so there is no doubt about there being two separate electrical systems. The tramway mast, you may recognise, is on the left in the picture and the mining type mast on the right. I was at first tempted to add a bit more filigree work on the industrial mast but reckoned that might be a bit OTT for a down to earth (under the earth?) mineral extraction company. So I left it with just the one piece for show, maybe they got the masts second hand (pre loved) at a knockdown price from a line that was upgrading - who knows what goes on?

Baron

post-5773-0-76806500-1438614881_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

I'm not at all familiar with what continental Europe would use in an minor industrial setting. But from an engineering point of view, would you even use horizontal bar and wire together styles for pantograph operation?

Andy

I'm not at all familiar with what continental Europe would use in an minor industrial setting. But from an engineering point of view, would you even use horizontal bar and wire together styles for pantograph operation?

Andy

Oh yes

Whilst making my way along the waterside on QUAI:87 this morning, plotting out where the new overhead masts would go (trickier than I imagined - going to need several specials), I passed by the old tractor powered loading chute, and remembered I hadn't shown it to you on RMweb, so I'll share it with you now. You can read all about it in that excellent publication, Scalefour News 193.

Baron

post-5773-0-14007600-1439012291_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Tis only a small detail that I've been meaning to add for ages and I was reminded on a recent trip along the canals of the Low Countries just how prominent the Kilometer markers are on the canal sides, usually painted on whatever is convenient, sometimes on their own posts. I opted to paint (dry print lettering) mine on a building side facing the canal junction. Whither to or whence to which place the distance on my marker refers is not determined but the indication shown seemed to me somewhat mandatory.

Baron

Edit. The new electrification will squeeze between the buildings through the gap to the left.

post-5773-0-75298700-1439458723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brian Harrap
  • Like 15

Do the prototype bridges have a "landing" slope on the open stabilizing outer stub rail arc?

Andy

Hello Andy (Thank you for your interest in QUAI:87 by the way) and yes most swing bridges, other than very old primative types, do have some sort of "landing" or stablizing device at the outer "flapping about" end, although I have not modelled it. My daughter spent some time as a swing bridge (and lock) operator on the Caledonian canal in Scotland where the bridges (which I was able to study in some detail) are stablised and locked at the far end by hydraulic wedges, or rams, which is I believe, how most modernish types are done these days. Carefull observation of these bridges in operation will show the far end of the bridge deck rise a centimeter or so to (land) road or track level and then lock into position. I have seen older bridges where the arc rail is raised up as a ramp and have seen a turntable in France where the ring rail had raised 'lands' for the deck to ride up on to stablise and level it. Fascinating subject for us sados.

Baron.

• Like 1

Hello Andy (Thank you for your interest in QUAI:87 by the way) and yes most swing bridges, other than very old primative types, do have some sort of "landing" or stablizing device at the outer "flapping about" end, although I have not modelled it. My daughter spent some time as a swing bridge (and lock) operator on the Caledonian canal in Scotland where the bridges (which I was able to study in some detail) are stablised and locked at the far end by hydraulic wedges, or rams, which is I believe, how most modernish types are done these days. Carefull observation of these bridges in operation will show the far end of the bridge deck rise a centimeter or so to (land) road or track level and then lock into position. I have seen older bridges where the arc rail is raised up as a ramp and have seen a turntable in France where the ring rail had raised 'lands' for the deck to ride up on to stablise and level it. Fascinating subject for us sados.

Baron.

QUAI:87 (and of course it's handsomely hirsute builder) is an inspiration to me. It's also very illustrative of European ways of constructing infrastructure, that I missed either visiting or noticing in my ill-spent youth.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Give a thought to us minions who have to operate the thing.

I've finally learned what not to do when operating the swing bridges and hoist and now there's going to be 'offset' catenary to figure out! :P

Oh joy!