QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

• 1 month later...

Everybody should have one of these on their layout. Just up Brian's Street for a quickie project . See time 0.50 on.

Andy

When, many years ago when I was a greenhorn apprentice at a London Borough workshop we youngsters were scared stiff of parking up busses and other such large vehicles in case we pranged them, and the Old Hands would say "get on with it, you could park a 'bus sideways in there." We thought they were just shooting a line but maybe there was some truth in it it seems. Thanks Andy but I think I'll pass on modelling this one, Regards, Brian.

Continuing the theme of strange turning arrangements, this was once the situation at Birkenhead Monks Ferry station, complete with quay, 3 turntables, a partial reversing wye, a track along the edge of the large turntable and 4 diamond crossings.

post-13062-0-40599700-1397001292.jpg

Apologies if everyone has seen it before.

• Like 7

When, many years ago when I was a greenhorn apprentice at a London Borough workshop we youngsters were scared stiff of parking up busses and other such large vehicles in case we pranged them, and the Old Hands would say "get on with it, you could park a 'bus sideways in there." We thought they were just shooting a line but maybe there was some truth in it it seems. Thanks Andy but I think I'll pass on modelling this one, Regards, Brian.

See. I thought your trolley was single ended.  But I checked and it's double ended. Such a shame. A turntable traverser inside a barn with night illumination would have been a luvery way of parking it at the end of an exhibition session. :clapping:

Now I'm tempted . . .

Andy

• Like 1

For those wondering where this is, currently the southern half of the Priory Wharf estate roughly occupies the same site, but via Alabama Way you can see part of the site via Street View. The characteristic triangular inlet of the Mersey still exists. I suspect Church St. was the western limit of the station.

Have you seen the excellent model of the area in the Birkenhead museum? Brian

I have just been directed to this topic from Scaleforum where I was asking about Inset Track

Yours looks absolutely brilliant.

I was asking because I want to build a factory / Industrial Layout, however it must be in P4 as all my rolling stock is  P4 (18.83)

I have skimmed throughthe 18 pages and seen some wonderful photos, I was wondering if you have some close up photos of how the turnouts are made? Are the switches a cast item or something you have made your self?

I was originally going to use Nickel Silver strip to model the flangeway, but, looking at yours I need extra rail or in some areas use just brick infill.

Thanks for sharing some inspirational modelling

I have just been directed to this topic from Scaleforum where I was asking about Inset Track

Yours looks absolutely brilliant.

I was asking because I want to build a factory / Industrial Layout, however it must be in P4 as all my rolling stock is  P4 (18.83)

I have skimmed throughthe 18 pages and seen some wonderful photos, I was wondering if you have some close up photos of how the turnouts are made? Are the switches a cast item or something you have made your self?

I was originally going to use Nickel Silver strip to model the flangeway, but, looking at yours I need extra rail or in some areas use just brick infill.

Thanks for sharing some inspirational modelling

industry-turnout-frets-over.jpg

Don't forget to check the "other" P4 option.  Scaleforum isn't one of my posting places. Apparent the folks there are afraid of what I do. :scared:

Andy

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

No one there is scared of your efforts, you are perfectly free to post as a guest or to renew your membership.

Keith

I have two consecutive emails from the S4 Board with the word "afraid" in them, which you may have copies of, off-list.

If you wish to pursue that, I suggest we do that off Brian's thread, for staying on topic reasons.

Andy