QUAI:87

Brian Harrap

• RMweb Premium

.... Would it upset the apple cart too much ....

Is there a cart to be upset in the first place?

There could possibly be an upset apple cart in the canal - result of collision with the car already in there? (For those wondering what car that would be, see photos at the end of page 16 of this thread).

• 3 weeks later...

There could possibly be an upset apple cart in the canal - result of collision with the car already in there? (For those wondering what car that would be, see photos at the end of page 16 of this thread).

I actually have a Wiking T87 (what else in 87 land) but it's far too good to dump in the canal.

Hello Brian and Co, here is another interesting mixed gauge track arrangement for you .

Thank you for that Ian, there seems to be more variations of mixed gauge trackwork than you could shake a stick at. I don't know where I could fit that one in or this gem I came across recently.

B

post-5773-0-20137100-1452930331_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That's, well, groovy. Would I be right in assuming it's a tramway on the continent?

Yes that's right Neil. One of several crossings of this type I found in Prague - they must have got a job lot of them. Fascinating stuff. B

Ps, see how the wheels run on the edge of their flanges through the crossing rather than on their tyres.

Edited by Brian Harrap

• RMweb Premium

Ps, see how the wheels run on the edge of their flanges through the crossing rather than on their tyres.

Clearly the inspiration for Marklin HO flanges! (Other HO manufacturers with similar wheel profiles are available). So, surely anathema to a P87 practiioner such as yourself?

Yes that's right Neil. One of several crossings of this type I found in Prague - they must have got a job lot of them. Fascinating stuff. B

Didn't that happen on some UK systems?

Glasgow springs to mind to convey standard gauge mainline wagons over the system.

Trams ran on their flanges through some pointwork in Leeds. Where railway wagons were run on their (deeper) flanges a slightly narrower gauge was used - 4' 73/4" if I remember correctly - to compensate.

Yes indeed, many, most? street tramways do this - run on the flange through crossings - for quieter/smoother running? I have often wondered why the big (heavy rail) railways don't do it. (Its a very mute point but, in theory at any rate, the outer edge of the flange adjacent to the point of contact of the tread with the railhead is actually going the opposite way to the direction of the vehicle. Discuss).

• RMweb Gold

I would imagine that as tramways have sharper curves, a fixed axle wheelset will have slippage on the outer wheel, so running on flanges is only another type of excess force. But, as the loads on the wheels will be considerably lighter than those for railway wheels, they would be engineered to cope with all these sorts of forces, meaning stronger flanges, for example.

The last batch of OHL masts are all lined up (not very neatly) ready for airbrushing prior to installing on the soon to be opened electric service to the lower end of the wagon hoist on QUAI:87. Extra filigree work has been added since the first masts were made some time ago - once I start filigreeing I find it hard to stop. The flags, or laundry hanging out, is masking tape to keep paint off the crossarms which will later have to have the contact wire soldered to them -  also off the glass bead insulators, which don't really insulate anything in model form of course but look pretty. It took some time and effort working out the locations for these masts which have to accommodate the sharp curves and the support columns of the high level line. I find it quite rewarding plotting the location of the OHL wire, keeping it straight between masts and over the swept course of the (offset in this case) pantograph, whilst not having too many extra pulloffs.

Brian.

post-5773-0-68180300-1453559377_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

How are the poles to be secured in the baseboard?  Will they have to withstand the pressure of pulled pork wire?

A nice touch might be, some  neatly turned, but pointy, brass finials to top them off? [And provide pain should elbows and hands get too close to plucking top C on the wire?]

All not outside Le Baron's undoubted abilities I'm sure?

How are the poles to be secured in the baseboard?  Will they have to withstand the pressure of pulled pork wire?

A nice touch might be, some  neatly turned, but pointy, brass finials to top them off? [And provide pain should elbows and hands get too close to plucking top C on the wire?]

All not outside Le Baron's undoubted abilities I'm sure?

Hello Alastair.Thank you for your interest. The masts will be fitted into a larger sized bit of (square) tubing that is firmly epoxied into the baseboard. See pic. All the OHL masts on QUAI:87 (tramway included) have to be easily removable together with the wire for transporting the darned thing to shows etc and have to be re-erected on site, quite a palava which is one reason the layout doesn't go out very often. I use piano wire for the line work which is fairly self supporting (unlike phosphor bronze wire) so does not create too much tension and what there is is restrained but the square telescopic mast construction. The tramway along the quayside has round section masts (which pull out of their bases, see above) and as it is a fairly straight run along the road is OK. 

Finials, that's a good idea, just make sure they're not to pointy

Baron.

post-5773-0-69485400-1453627293_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Thank you for that, Brian....for a moment I thought maybe the pole bases would be threaded, then lock nutted through the baseboard.....or other such extremely engineered means? Rather a neater solution is yours..[don't you just lurve starwars-speak?  :)  ]

Especially when I look at my own poles,made of wire coat hangers & solder!!

This thread was referenced in Tony Wright's thread. You may have seen it, but it immediately made me think of the trackwork on Quai 87:

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/crrnjbxt.html

Food for thought, perhaps. There's also a link in his thread to a video of a model of it. The trackwork is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErgphjRECo

I'm probably very late to the party on this, and I imagine it's been discussed before. If not, well, it blew my socks off.

Alan

I'm not sure the OHL on QUAI:87 could be considered P87 either but anyway here goes with an update on the installation of the masts and wirework threading its way between the columns of the upper level to reach the lower level of the wagon hoist. Simple tramway type of course but I have managed to fit it in so far without having to dismantle the bridges above, well thats how they would do it in 1:1 wouldn't they. I have just noticed in the pic that the wire sags just a bit too much towards the right hand end - have to get the retensioning gang onto that.

Brian

post-5773-0-63151900-1454235871_thumb.jpg

• Like 13