Members' Day - it ain't all serious!

Andy Y

Picking up on one of BlackRat's posts a little earlier I did wonder about introducing a little bit of silliness into the day and thought I'd see if there was any support for it. It's all very well building a 10 mile long track to see if you can make it to the other end but that's not we used to do as kids is it?

I can't claim it's wholly original as I know the Lydd Rail guys have done something previously but shouldn't be as destructive.laugh.gif

Event 1 - Fastest lap - Who can complete 10 laps of a 2nd radius circuit fastest?

Event 2 - Tug of War - Knockout competion - Whose loco is strongest?

Event 3 - The Hill - Whose loco can climb the steepest hill (6' length)

Event 4 - Front Crawl - Whose loco can take the longest to travel 1m - unaided! You stall, you lose.

Event 5 - Drag Race - Knockout competition - Whose loco is fastest over a 5m distance?

Event 6 - Jousting - Knockout competition - Two parallel tracks placed right up to each other with the aim of derailing your opponent whilst staying on the rails (further modifications permitted).

Rules:

One loco per entrant

All modifications permitted

OO/HO entries only to run on standard 16.5mm nickel silver track

12V DC power supply provided

All events at ground level on the stage.

We're not responsible or liable for any damage to your precious loco!

Anyone up for it?

might be time to dig out my old scalextic motored 0-4-0 ;)

Yes, the thought has crossed my mind to obtain a Nelly, turn the wheels down to accept traction tyres, add some weight and fit a snowplough to it for a good all-rounder. help.gif

• RMweb Gold

Well as I'm not able to get there I thought I'd share my idea for a suitable loco,

Shame it's HO / OO only or the On30 K27 with snowplough would be ideal for 4 events, jousting, crawl, tug of war and the hill.

so then i thought about the Athearn DD40 model produced a few years back,

twin 5 pole motors, scale 100ft long so plenty of weight, 16 wheels made from sintered steel. It was so powerful that it hit a bridge on a friends garden line and dragged it sideways until the flexitrack went tight!

Power, traction and reliable pickup the only one it would struggle with is high speed. :lol:

Add a snowplough and it would be like something from robot wars!

How about my motorised piece of 2" x 1" x 10" solid brass bar???:pleasantry: :pleasantry:

Only joking! Such a thing would hardly be a model loco, would it?

I take it that "one LOCO per entrant" means that entries must be just that? What about things like a HST power car?

I am interested but don't want a fairly detailed, quite expensive plastic model to have to go head to head with something like my opening statement!

:drinks:

John E.

• RMweb Gold

"It ain't all serious"?

This is as serious as it gets surly?

I have a loco that will do the 'Hill', 'Front crawl' and possibly the 'Tug of war' (or does that have to be 60040) but it can't go very fast and there is no way it will sit on a 2nd radius curve never mind go round it blink.gif and it's far too good to derail!

What about things like a HST power car?

I am interested but don't want a fairly detailed, quite expensive plastic model to have to go head to head with something like my opening statement!

Happy to be flexible on what constitutes a 'loco'!

I'd be the last person to suggest that anything cherished or valuable should be let anywhere near this lunacy.

• RMweb Gold

Sadly unable to darken the Members' Day Door - although as Andy Y is aware, I have seen the sky over Stafford this year - the talk of special-build locos for this event reminds me of a slot-car occasion in the '60s. A purchase had arrived in a clear bubble pack, and by carefully cutting this out, painting it yellow (slot cars in those days often had lightweight clear acetate bodies, painted on the inside) and providing a brass-tubing chassis, Mabuchi motor etc - voila Motorised Camembert!

Perhaps Hattons, Olivias Trains, Kernow and ModelRail could put their current commissions into the mix - it would certainly liven up the reviews in the modelling press.

"This is a lovely model of an 'x' and it is the current holder of RMWeb test track accolades "Fastest Lap" and "The Hill" :D

As no-one's been daft enough to formally take up this challenge I shall shelve it for now. Maybe at a future event with a bit more planning.

Thomas's evil cousin will just have to wait to fight another day.

• 1 year later...

Hill ...

Weight ...

Depleted uranium for traction ballast?

You may well scoff - I used to weigh my models with real 9mm Para bullet heads - Why? I had about 5,000 of them lying around...

I'd just switched (in legal) competition from 9mm to .38 Super.

Best, Pete.

Mike,

Surprisingly most of them don't know how to shoot - I was trained by the best. At my peak I was putting 500 rounds a week down-range just to keep my eye in - and that was within spitting distance of the M25.

I gave up when "Race Guns" and "Bo66ock Rigs" came in (I had already witnessed a good guy shoot himself in the buttocks - the bullet exited from his ankle - and I certainly didn't want to shoot my wedding tackle off), now they are going back to concealed carry and no guns that look like they are from Dan Dare...but I'm too old.

Can I just say, Mike, that your current postings since you've been scanning photos have been blooming marvelous, the best just got better!

Best, Pete.

Archived