A LOCO FOR CORNWALL

I have often thought about what exactly is the most typical loco for Cornwall ?

I guess it depends on era so there could be more than one answer.

Would it be the 45xx or D600s ? Prehaps a 57 ?!! Or maybe a 4-4-0 Duke ?

What are the contenders and why .........?

• RMweb Gold

I suppose for length of service the Beattie Well Tanks!

Apart from something odd and unique to the Liskeard & Caradon Railway, I guess Nick is spot-on here. The other locos could be seen working elsewhere for just as long, whereas Cornwall was pretty much the last bastion of the well tanks for many years.

Put it this way, if I see a 45XX, I don't immediately think of Cornwall, nor with a D600, but with a Beattie, the Wenfordbridge line is what immediately comes into my head.

• RMweb Premium

None of us alive today remember the fleet of Beattie well-tanks which used to work into and out of Waterloo. The trio which survived (and two of which still survive) are only remembered as working from Wadebridge shed and are most often associated with the Wenford goods.

No other class of loco within anyone's memory has served so long and so identifiably with a Cornish location alone. It is perhaps ironic that while the GWR, its predecessors and successors were always the major player the clear winner of this accolade goes to an SR (LSWR) type.

45xx worked outside of Cornwall as much as within the Duchy as did the hydraulic types albeit the 600's were largely confined west of Plymouth for some years. Not being familiar with Liskeard & Caradon (nor indeed the even earlier Hayle Railway) motive power I am happy to support the 0298 Class (aka Beattie well tanks) as a "Loco for Cornwall" though if we were looking only at main-line types then I would go with the 600s

• RMweb Gold

I suppose the pair of 0-6-2 locos, Lord St. Leven and Earl of Mount Edgecumbe running on the old Callington line are another type, but I don't automatically think of Cornwall and think of them, the Beatties win every time!

• RMweb Gold

I suppose the pair of 0-6-2 locos, Lord St. Leven and Earl of Mount Edgecumbe running on the old Callington line are another type, but I don't automatically think of Cornwall and think of them, the Beatties win every time!

• RMweb Gold

This is something of an apples and oranges question - it's a bit like asking which class of engines was "best". The 0298s - I saw all three at the time - were very restricted in their bailiwick, and would not have been of much use on other parts of the LSWR in Cornwall in the C20. Some would think a Bulleid Pacific was the typical loco, although they only managed a bit less than 20 years, really, while the T9s were there for much longer, and so were the Maunsell Ns. Arguably, since there was rather more GWR then LSWR/SR in Cornwall, a GWR loco would seem more representative, perhaps. But Castle or Pannier, or something in between, and anyway, they were seen on the LSWR/SR lines about as often as a T9 on the GWR bits, so representative of what?

Perhaps a beam engine from a Cornish mine might be more universally justifiable?

• RMweb Premium
Did think about " Bill and Ben ". Why does'nt Hornby model them ??

They used to make them. (some issues as to the scale though)

• 2 weeks later...

They used to make them. (some issues as to the scale though)

I made a scale drawing of alfred a while ago, and even in 4mm it's a tiny locomotive. From memory, 11mm diameter wheels, 2cm wheelbase, 3cm overall width, and about the same in height. You could fit a good 4 or 5 of them inside the length of a class 37. I plan on scratchbuilding one or perhaps both, but finding a donor chassis has proven a bit of an issue.

I've got to say that this is a bit of a tricky topic though. For diesels on clays you could pick anything out of list of classes 22, 25, 37, 42, 46, 50, and 52! Steam on clays is a bit easier, with the Beattie, Alfred and Judy, panniers and prairies. For a while the 153 unit became something of an icon for the Newquay branch.

Perhaps it's not a class we're looking for, but more a specific locomotive. Maybe "William Cookworthy" or "Tre Pol and Pen". Or perhaps, "Penydaren"?

I have to admit that the first locomotive that popped into my head when I read the title of this thread was "City Of Truro". ;)

Best,

Scott.

• 5 weeks later...

For me it would be a Tractor, that's what jumps into my mind when I think of Cornwall. From the mid-80s to the late 90s 80-90% of Clay was tractor hauled, they were also perfectly suited to the job. They were also there in "Cornish Railways" days with several machines receiving variations on lizard double arrows, Cornish flags, headboards, appropriate names etc

Cheers,

Jack

If it's steam era, depending on locality there's a big choice, I grew up & train-spotted from 1950-1958.

West Cornwall(below Truro)until roughly 1962: Main line - Castle,County,Hall,Grange,4300,5700(& variants),7400,4500,with a 9400 on duty at Penzance.

Apart fom a Summer surprise we saw these ad infinitum, day in day out.

If in the early 50s you could even have a Brit as 70019 Lightning came down on the Riviera & back up on an evening pax for some time. But ex-GWR men soon gave up with that one!

Branches - almost exclusively 4500s, double-headed St Erth - St Ives on the through Riviera in Summer.

Past Truro to Lostwithiel were 4200s (St Blazey)& reportdly a Manor though I never saw one. At Lostwithiel a 1400 ran to Fowey.

Besides the main branches there were off-shoots to Hayle docks,a factory near Camborne,the old Newham terminus at Truro, Par docks & a maze of minor china clay lines.

On the Southern, which I always thought exotic & fast compared to the sedentary ex-GWR,were West Countries/BOB,T9,N,O2,ex-LMS 4100, Well Tanks &,later,GWR 1600.

It's all a bit boring nowadays!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

On the Southern, which I always thought exotic & fast compared to the sedentary ex-GWR,

An interesting alternative view which I would not have expected to hear from a local. My gricing was slightly later - '61-65, and being on holiday with parents, just the odd day - but the basically single-track Southern lines were always a bit thin on trains, however much I liked them, while getting to Bodmin Road ensured a regular supply, and as you have identified, a better selection of power - even more so in my era as the diesels were well and truly present, too.

When it comes to rosy-glow modelling nostalgia, I'm back to Southern, of course.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As to which class of locomotive would be regarded as typically Cornish there are quite a few suitable candidates, but my vote would go to the Granges. Many more years ago than I care to admit to I was a member of Falmouth Model Railway Club. One evening we had an informal talk by someone, a foreman I think, from Laira shed; at the end of the talk he offered to answer any questions. One of the questions asked was "Which of the various classes was the best" and you could almost hear the sharp intakes of breath from the King and Castle supporters. His answer was that he didn't know about the rest of the system, but west of Newton Abbot a Grange was worth two of anything else.

Archived