Top Gear on the Great Central Railway

• RMweb Premium

Wednesday night at 8.00 pm on BBC 2 and there may very be another repeat on BBC 3 on Saturday evening. Of course give it six months and it will join the continuous loop on Dave.

A little editorial licence was taken in the er' h...."statements" about ."speeds" from Clarkson, and it all should be viewed as a fun item, the speeds used and time frame, and the story line was all "adjusted" for both TV reasons, common sense and safety!!!! a friend was there during the filming, and yes special permission was sought for all sorts of reasons, including towed filming units, and dual track running in the same direction.

Great fun all round, and a surprise ending best not given away till all have seen it!

(Many caravans were hurt or maimed in the completion of the program)

Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that they actually smashed into the caravan using the loco! If I was the owner I certainly wouldn't have let them do it. mellow.gif

Regards,

Nick

Bear in mind Nick, they probably paid for the cost of the potential repairs, and the Peak has needed some TLC anyway in terms of external paneling and livery for a few years now.

• RMweb Gold

Bear in mind Nick, they probably paid for the cost of the potential repairs, and the Peak has needed some TLC anyway in terms of external paneling and livery for a few years now.

Yeah but still! I wouldn't have allowed it.

I am told by someone who was there, the special effects and properties staff worked on the caravans for over a day, removing all metal, replacing solid panels with poly, and generally making sure that they would breakup with no damage to the loco or track.......you can never be sure of what you see on TV...they fitted powder discharge effects, and the "caravans" hit were more like sets than the working ones earlier used for the general filming.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

what did seem to stand out on the GCR in the top gear film ,was the amount of stock in sidings alongside the line, I know it was filmed when the railway wasnt running,

Isn't that the case for "most" preserved railways?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I am told by someone who was there, the special effects and properties staff worked on the caravans for over a day, removing all metal, replacing solid panels with poly, and generally making sure that they would breakup with no damage to the loco or track.......you can never be sure of what you see on TV...they fitted powder discharge effects, and the "caravans" hit were more like sets than the working ones earlier used for the general filming.

Stephen.

Now you come to mention it Stephen, if you look closely in the photo there doesn't appear to be the yellow chassis underneath it.

I feel happier now!

Regards,

Nick

I was amused a long time ago to hear people complaining about the late 1950's British Comedy film, The Iron Maiden, that features the said traction engine blowing up at the end of the movie, with shots of it broken and destroyed.

There were complaints from enthusiasts at the time, who said, even if it was not damaged in the process, the Film Company risked damaging the parts like the wheels in placing them off the engine and using the parts to make it look like a wreck.

However the company, Anglo Amalgamated, (distributed by Rank), issued a statement that the engine had not been damaged in any way for the filming, which placated most people, but a few continued t query how the company shot it, and they gave in saying it was a wooden replica used, to which several people said that this was nonsense, you could see all the brass parts unique to the loco in the shots.

In answer the builder of the replica published in the Model Engineer a complete article about the replica, all wood, including so called brass parts, all brass work done with a gilt finish, and all details of the engine reproduced. It took several months to make at Pinewood Workshops, and was indeed destroyed in the last few shots.

Letter writers queried the cost, I seem to remember a figure of 10,000 was mentioned, and the magazines published further replies assuring the writers that indeed the makers had gone to considerable trouble to make the replica.

So it shows that people can be fooled even when they appear to be intelligent in other ways, I know this very well as magic tricks I have designed have been built on the very same basis, people will never believe the trouble that you will go to to trick them!! (Houdini's Principle!).........Penn and Teller rely on this!!

Stephen.

• 2 years later...

I agree, whatever you see on TV or in Films, Please take with a large pinch of salt. I have worked on TV, as an extra and also am a medieval      re-enactor   and have also done live action special effects. It 'aint real believe me

Archived