Top Gear on the Great Central Railway

I quite enjoyed it actually! Although I thought May and Hammonds caravan setting alight was a bit far-fetched. It's a shame the 08 which confronted Clarkson wasn't going any faster laugh1.gif

Did the Green Diesel at the end actually smash through the caravan, or was it a camera trick?

What speed was that Peak doing to do such a superb demolition job of that rear "tin snail"? :D

Err, enough...!! (but i'd take Clarkson's claims with a pinch of salt).

Who'd have ever thought they'd be a Broad gauge Single on Top Gear...? I might just have to find that photo to hang in my dining room.

• RMweb Gold

Who'd have ever thought they'd be a Broad gauge Single on Top Gear...? I might just have to find that photo to hang in my dining room.

He loves Brunel though doesn't he! That was funny! 'It's even only got one carriage.' May's face said it all 'No Clarkson you fool that's the tender!' dry.gif :rolleyes: I wonder if it will go on the cool wall? B)

Regards,

Nick

superb.....

really well filmed and edited, a fantastic piece of fun tv

There were a few continuity errors with the "trains" suddenly jumping from one line to the other (which I suppose is what the camera crew are used to if they only film cars all day).

Guest Belgian

There were a few continuity errors with the "trains" suddenly jumping from one line to the other (which I suppose is what the camera crew are used to if they only film cars all day).

Yes, particularly when Clarkson reversed to go on the other line to "overtake" May and Hammond and the other line was blocked at Quorn. How did he do it?!!!!!

JE

• RMweb Gold

the thing is as "enhusiasts" we tend to spot the errors but joe public just sees middle aged men larking about, the bit with jeremy reversing made me chuckle though looked really funny

must admit id love to have been driving the peak at the end!!

I saw D126 in Loughborough Works a week or so after the filming took place. It has very minor damage to the right hand side of its front end where it struck the caravan. The dents are to be repaired and the loco given a complete re-paint care of either the BBC or the production company (that part wasn't made clear by our guide). The staff were very coy about the whole incident or maybe they were sworn to secrecy until after the transmission date?

Although it may well have upset the purists, it was great fun anyway!

• RMweb Gold

Yes entertaining but I suspect Steve Davies of the NRM and guests were a bit surprised by the ranting on the PA system. The editor of Rail Express looked terrified at times and was visibly flinching. There are pics of the Peak on Gscalecentral with the front corner panel being replaced last week due to damage from the caravan impact. Not sure what permission you need to do that but was surprised they were so close unless that was a bit of clever angles.

if they ever did a "retry", all they need to do is add suspension

Does that mean a Pacer (bus body on a wagon chassis) is nearer by design to their train (caravan body on a PW trolley), than it is to a proper coach..? Scary....

Yes entertaining but I suspect Steve Davies of the NRM and guests were a bit surprised by the ranting on the PA system.

I doubt he was too bothered by it considering some of the other stories he has, I wonder if he turned up with a snooker cue this time.. Feel sorry for Helen Ashby though, she'll be taking early retirement if he keeps dragging her to these sorts of things. There was a video of a Japanese steam simulator he's driving with her firing with real weighted artificial coal..

Denting a Peak was a bit surprising but i'm sure the production team gave the GCR much more than the cost of a replacement nose panel.

Curious to know who the guy in 'Scum' class was! The others were all mostly known. Pity Woolmar turned the chance down..

I have enjoyed TG over the years, although the scripting of "mishaps" for laughs (and the Hamsters lack of acting skill) does grate. At least they don't put a sodding filter on all the outside filming akin to the film Top Gun like they used to!

It only occurred to me today that howcome the last caravan was fouling the mainline but the Peak didn't derail, no interlocking, or hefty roadies putting it there for "comedy value"? You decide...

Given that there's not the slightest chance that they would be let loose on a 'live' bit of railway, and that trains don't drive themselves, that says to me the whole thing would have to have been scripted.

Entertaining though I thought. :)

I have enjoyed TG over the years, although the scripting of "mishaps" for laughs (and the Hamsters lack of acting skill) does grate. At least they don't put a sodding filter on all the outside filming akin to the film Top Gun like they used to!

It only occurred to me today that howcome the last caravan was fouling the mainline but the Peak didn't derail, no interlocking, or hefty roadies putting it there for "comedy value"? You decide...

It was quite obvious that the caravan was devoid of most of its chassis and propped up on pallets. No big metal bits to fly out !

I was more concerned by how close the TGV12 got to the flaming caravan !

Archived