Battersea Stewarts Lane - London

Shedmaster

Hello again everyone,

I'd like to take this opportunity to re-launch my current project, that being to recreate 'Battersea Stewarts Lane' depot, London, in model form.

Seeing that the forum is having a fresh start, I will too, and this means I won't be transferring my old 'RMWeb' pages here.

What you see here will be progress reports as and when something happens.

Due to the sale of my old layout, I can now focus on the new project a little more without the distraction of playing trains.

So, to start with.....

There are currently three areas of activity and they are

Baseboards

I have been VERY lucky and acquired some excellent baseboards for my project ( please see pictures ) and these will be reconfigured over the next few weeks to suit my plan. i.e the curved end sections will be removed and the six 4ft x 2ft boards arranged to a new footprint of 12ft x 4ft.

blogentry-7088-12555568626041_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7088-12555568699178_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7088-12555568772119_thumb.jpg

Permanent Way

Do I want to go down the 'P4' route or not ? This is currently under investigation......

Buildings ( Large main shed and smaller carriage shed )

blogentry-7088-12555568145167_thumb.jpg

These have been subject to a major re-think and I have decided to take a highly advanced route forward with these.

I have handed my research package over to an external source for laser cutting and assembly of components!

From the information I have provided, the buildings will now both be produced to exactly replicate the prototypes.

That's all there is to report at the moment, any questions, please feel free to ask.........

Thanks,

Dave

Currently, work is progressing on building one of the excellent Peter Harvey Depot Inspection Platforms.

blogentry-7088-12590477719394_thumb.jpg

The component parts have been removed from the fret and prepared for soldering.

blogentry-7088-12590478329785_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7088-12590478502384_thumb.jpg

blogentry-7088-12590478709938_thumb.jpg

Technically, the longer version of this would be more accurate for my shed but I may go for that a bit later !

Dave

Keep the updates coming Dave, I am looking forward to seeing some 60 action at your depot!

Hiya Mr GrimleyGrid !

The truth is I'm still not sure what I'm doing with posting on this new forum. I've just moved my 'spiel' from the blog area to here as I think it's more appropriate and reads through better, but time will tell.

In an effort to have something to show, I have bought a new soldering iron and got to work on one of the depot inspection platforms as I can't do much with the main parts of the layout just yet.

I'm waiting for the completion of the depot buildings which should be February 2010 as I am unable to take delivery until then.

So in the meantime, I hope to be tackling some smaller projects such as inspection platforms, Gresley bogies and the like.

The NSE Inspection is also on the workbench, but will be tackled later on when I can fit this in.......

post-7088-12590513073447_thumb.jpg

post-7088-12590513380785_thumb.jpg

post-7088-12590513557874_thumb.jpg

Dave

Nice one Dave cant wait to see it finished cool.gif you not doing any trips with the VSOE to canterbury next month are you??

ATB

James

Hi James,

I'm just gagging to see the buildings when they turn up and then I can get on with working out the room that I have for them and getting some serious work done !

I keep looking at Worcester Road and find it really inspiring to try to achieve a similar effect, i.e focus on the shed building with correct lighting etc.

I'm also real keen to see some 60's in position with 33's and 56's to 'test the look'..........I don't think the kettles are gonna be as impressive but still want to try with them.

Just ordered Hornby's 56 032 as it is a valid machine for my period and CANCELLED my EWS Hospitality Train order from Hattons...........as it simply doesnt fit in. ( Too chicken to cancel the Bachmann MBA's though !!! )

One of my ideas is that if the Hornby 'Clan Line' looks too toy like in the new shed, then I'll be stripping it back to represent it 'under overhaul', as in my pictures........even if that means just a set of driving wheels sitting in position !!!

I don't know yet if I'm doing the VSOE as it's always last minute rostering to cover too much work with too few staff, however, at the moment, I don't want to be out on it. I'd rather do the empties up to Vic and then go back to 'The Lane' for four hours or so with the Loco. so I can get some detailed research done !!!

It's better when the shed is empty..........

Dave

Hi All,

Whilst being constantly distracted by reading the forum, I have managed to get on with one of the projects for the new building, one of our depot inspection platforms, seen here :

post-7088-12594505989123_thumb.jpg

This is a test subject for me to learn how to solder properly and there is plenty to learn still, however it is a start.

In theory, there won't be much happening stock wise here for a while, and so I can concentrate on details for when the buildings are ready...........

Dave

HI Dave,

Thanks for the info what period are you basing this on again icon_mutter.gifAnd there not called kettles they are Steam Engines or Steam Locamotives wink.gif You got to have a steam engine either 35025 Clan line and support coach or 34067 Tangmere , never knew 92's went to the lane icon_rolleyes.gif They should make a new verison of the 92 as Im sure thats the ex lima one but looks very nice there in that shot.

Also whats the EWS Hospitality Train ???

Yeah see what you mean by doing the ECS to vic the go back to the lane with the skip then get some research done, just wondering do you leave the 67 yinging away or do you have to shut it down to save fuel ??? As I dont think there is a fuel depot at the lane

ATB

James

Archonix,

The baseboards were purchased from an eBay seller who was letting them go due to being unable to complete his project. Frankly, they are brilliantly built and perfect for my project. The 18ft x 8ft design was, as you can see, for a big roundy roundy but I have now sold off the excellently built curved ends as they are not required here. My normal policy would be NOT to have sold these......keep available for future expansion/development, but I really just want to focus on my core plan.

JamesB 34067,

The period for the layout will be left open. i.e the shed will be painted as it is now and this will make it useable from the late 80's onwards. Whatever we stick on it will fit in...........we think ?

I am thoroughly BORED with EWS Red and Gold and so the focus here will be on stuff from before this time such as Mainline Freight. However, we have a lot of good EWS models in the collection so you will still see these. Don't forget things like the dutch 33's, sector 56's and 60's, parcels 47's and VSOE and NSE 73's will all be represented here. I am currently lobbying for an all new spec, PROPERLY PAINTED Class 73 for 2010 ! Oh, and the 'Weedkiller 20's' will be seen here too but I don't know if they ever visited Stew Lane....I know I worked on them at HG so that is reason enough for me to have em !

The EWS Hospitality train...........might be worth googling that one or typing it into fotopic, as pictures tell much more of a story !

We do shut the 67 down when laid over at 'The Lane' to save our eardrums !!! The sooner we melt them and all the 66's down and build a decent, smaller batch of Loco's. to replace them, the better !

92's didnt get into the lane as far as I know, but I work with them occasionally and so have one in the collection.........

Dave

Archonix,

The baseboards were purchased from an eBay seller who was letting them go due to being unable to complete his project. Frankly, they are brilliantly built and perfect for my project. The 18ft x 8ft design was, as you can see, for a big roundy roundy but I have now sold off the excellently built curved ends as they are not required here. My normal policy would be NOT to have sold these......keep available for future expansion/development, but I really just want to focus on my core plan.

JamesB 34067,

The period for the layout will be left open. i.e the shed will be painted as it is now and this will make it useable from the late 80's onwards. Whatever we stick on it will fit in...........we think ?

I am thoroughly BORED with EWS Red and Gold and so the focus here will be on stuff from before this time such as Mainline Freight. However, we have a lot of good EWS models in the collection so you will still see these. Don't forget things like the dutch 33's, sector 56's and 60's, parcels 47's and VSOE and NSE 73's will all be represented here. I am currently lobbying for an all new spec, PROPERLY PAINTED Class 73 for 2010 ! Oh, and the 'Weedkiller 20's' will be seen here too but I don't know if they ever visited Stew Lane....I know I worked on them at HG so that is reason enough for me to have em !

The EWS Hospitality train...........might be worth googling that one or typing it into fotopic, as pictures tell much more of a story !

We do shut the 67 down when laid over at 'The Lane' to save our eardrums !!! The sooner we melt them and all the 66's down and build a decent, smaller batch of Loco's. to replace them, the better !

92's didnt get into the lane as far as I know, but I work with them occasionally and so have one in the collection.........

Dave

Borded with EWS Livery icon_wow.gif What about the new livery icon_mrgreen.gif I think all ED's were based at the lane I think there are two ED based there now I think the Gat Ex one named Dave icon_rolleyes.gif and one just sitting there which would be good on the East Kent Railway.Oh the The EWS Hospitality train is the Company train well now the DBS company train now never knew it ment that too thought it was know as the company train or Management train . icon_wow.gif Nothing wrong with 67's and 66'sicon_drool.gif the EWS sheds are clagging a bit more now then the news ones and yeah they are loud icon_lol.gif No but 92 do go over the lane from/To dollands Moor

Hi All,

Whilst being constantly distracted by reading the forum, I have managed to get on with one of the projects for the new building, one of our depot inspection platforms, seen here :

post-7088-12594505989123_thumb.jpg

This is a test subject for me to learn how to solder properly and there is plenty to learn still, however it is a start.

In theory, there won't be much happening stock wise here for a while, and so I can concentrate on details for when the buildings are ready...........

Dave

How realistic does that look Dave? Nice one!

Have you got sheds to house your loco's yet?

Any decision yet on the final gauge - is it going to be P4 or OO? Just incase any of Paxton Road's locos ever want a visit down to the Lane ;) My current plan is to keep most of my stock OO to run on Paxton Road - but who knows what will happen when Rose Hill is finished. I can see the huge attraction to P4, potential for awesome end on shots on your layout plan - but OO might be more manageable. You could build your own OO, using Exactoscale components and if you're only running new or re-wheeled stock it might be possible to close up the tolerances on switch rails etc for a finer appearance?

I too would love a revised scale model of the 73s - they've got to be on the cards, think of the livery variations to date!!! Is it a Vitrains jobby I wonder?

How realistic does that look Dave? Nice one!

Have you got sheds to house your loco's yet?

Thanks Big T, I haven't recieved the two sheds yet from the manufacturer but I hope to have these early next year.....frankly.....it's a LONG wait but this is my issue NOT the manufacturers, I could have had them weeks ago.

The way I'm playing it is that when they arrive I will be able to measure out the available 'plots' within my 12ft x 4ft space and then decide what I can and can't fit in properly.

Dave

Any decision yet on the final gauge - is it going to be P4 or OO? Just incase any of Paxton Road's locos ever want a visit down to the Lane wink.gif My current plan is to keep most of my stock OO to run on Paxton Road - but who knows what will happen when Rose Hill is finished. I can see the huge attraction to P4, potential for awesome end on shots on your layout plan - but OO might be more manageable. You could build your own OO, using Exactoscale components and if you're only running new or re-wheeled stock it might be possible to close up the tolerances on switch rails etc for a finer appearance?

I too would love a revised scale model of the 73s - they've got to be on the cards, think of the livery variations to date!!! Is it a Vitrains jobby I wonder?

Hi James,

Unfortunately, it looks as though BSL will be a 'OO' layout.....I know......BOOoooooooo !!!!!

But.......I am simply NOT gonna lose my steam options over this......I'll just have to be bloody careful with the photography

I want pukka detail on this layout just as much as the next guy BUT for the sake of three kettles, I'm restricted..........well, until I just admit that the kettles I have are NOT up to the same standards as the Hornby 60 and decide that I don't need them !

I've been advised to write a similar email to ViTrains that I did to Hornby for a new 73, but I feel a bit naughty doing this as surely I should give the 'red team' a chance to preside over my request properly ??????????

Oh........and sorry but I'm not actually a fan of 'ViTrains' anyway just yet............it's got Lima written all over it and we all know how they 'stiffed' us with the 67 !!!

Dave

Excelent start - good idea to have a new start

Good to see this layout back

Sam

Hiya agentskj,

I'm trying so hard now to just focus on the models and scene that I want to create, and feel that it should be good..........however.........I'm just waiting at the mo and getting small prep jobs done, such as selling off loads of stuff on eBay that I wont be needing and then I'll be getting the baseboards ready and adding the backscenes, all ready for the arrival of the two new main buildings.

I want things to progress quicker to be honest but as it's a long term project, theres no rush.

Dave

Curretly working on 73118 myself at the moment so maybe it could visit?! and was around this area today whilst photographing the big ED :D sounds a good idea! Ive always admired Stewarts Lane for thier locos etc! its such a shame the depot now isnt as good as it used to be, mainly owing to Gatwick Express' being units, and other locos being moved operators or withdrawn :(

Looking forward to seeing progress!

Curretly working on 73118 myself at the moment so maybe it could visit?! and was around this area today whilst photographing the big ED biggrin.gif sounds a good idea! Ive always admired Stewarts Lane for thier locos etc! its such a shame the depot now isnt as good as it used to be, mainly owing to Gatwick Express' being units, and other locos being moved operators or withdrawn sad.gif

Looking forward to seeing progress!

Mmmm.....you'll be one of the first to have an invite to the open day !

I often had a play with 118' at Hither Green when our fitters used to service them for Eurostar.

I know I keep saying it........but back then we had the Loco. variety that made our job more interesting,

I've just read on wnxx.com that DBS are hell bent on ditching the 60, ( Like we didnt know already ) Well, how about putting all that effort into finding something for them to do instead ?

Back to your original point though, Stewarts Lane IS still interesting but, you don't ever see much happening if you're only passing by. Admittedly, I'd love to have been there when they did Loco. lifts etc for bogie changes or whatever.

Dave

Boo Indeed laugh.gif -

Your steam stock can be converted - have a look at Mr Pedders blog!

'179

Hello You !

I've been reading Mr Pedders blog with much interest..........now let me see..........maybe I could do 'P4' after all and then get grovelling BIG TIME and ask VERY nicely if Mr Pedder would like to outbase his Loco. at ours ?

After all, this particular depot is being built around certain vehicles, his 'Clan Line' being one of them and not only will our shed be entirely prototypical, but we will have all the proper facilities too..........

Now then.........how do I 'PM' from here........??????

Dave

P4 is certainly not as scary as it first seemed to me - although I've yet to build points ;)

I'm hoping to write something on it from a beginner view point in the new year.

However, from a selfish view point keep it OO (albeit finescale using nice track) and then I can bring along some of my stuff if/when you exhibit (33019, 37013 and 09007 at the least!) :D

P4 is certainly not as scary as it first seemed to me - although I've yet to build points wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I see your using exactoscale trackwork James - well their points are an absolute pleasure to build definately not scary at all !

'179

<br />I see your using exactoscale trackwork James - well? ? their points are an absolute pleasure to build? ?  definately not scary at all !<br /><br /><br /><br />'179<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I too have been practising with 'P4' track and as a complete newcomer to this artform have to say it's brilliant fun, only time consuming for me because it is a new thing for me to learn.

I'd truly prefer 'P4' as I would then be able to have more accurate pits between the rails as well.

Dave

Archived