Battersea Stewarts Lane - London

Shedmaster

Hi Dave,

I have just been catching up on your thread, and I know its been said but the buildings look fantastic the detail is spot on.cool.gif Love the shot 0f 33201 as well bit of a fave loco of mine the old Cromptons. As you said you have lots of detail to add but as long as you take your time I am sure it will all come together.cool.gif Your little project wouldn't be something the Drivers at Eastleigh depot used to drive into now and then would it. I remember turning up on early turn a few times to see another big dent in one of the shed 'doors'. biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Dave, looking good Sir. It is amazing how a little bit of paint can transform the look of something so much. The inside looks really good now and 042 looks right at home!

When I painted the inside of my Bachmann sheds it mad a big difference to the appearance.

Hi Guys,

Peter, Nope, I've been pondering the floor just lately and have worked out that I will lay a concrete base ( exterior Polyfilla ) for the building that is equal to the height of the pit shoulders. This will enable the rail height vs surrounding levels to be correct and most importantly, put the rail where it should be........on the concrete floor of the building, whilst still maintaining the correct level outside as well.

P.C.M......Yep, Eastleigh guy's would have visited Stew Lane I'm sure in years gone by.

Let me assure you, with what I have planned for my shed doors.........if ANYBODY drives into them with ANYTHING........well......they'll wish they hadn't !

Here are some more pics of todays work........

The buildings have been getting the main colours applied.......subject to lots of further touching in and then weathering etc later on.

I'm especially pleased with the brick wall and stair colouring but it is obviously way too loud at the moment and needs toning down properly.....

EXTERIOR :

post-7088-127376347715_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127376346697_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127376348667_thumb.jpg

INTERIOR :

post-7088-127376345157_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127376343734_thumb.jpg

There is some difficulty accessing some areas and so they will have to be 'perfected' later on.

NSE INSPECTION SALOON :

One more project on my workbench is my NSE Inspection saloon, which I have established an MJT etched Mk1 coach chassis is the best way forward for construction, this arrived today :

post-7088-127376349894_thumb.jpg

My plan is to make up the etched chassis and solder on the sides, cab fronts and bufferbeams, in a similar way to how the prototype was built up.....as basically a modified Mk1 with flat sides. I made some checks today to ensure compatability and of course.........it's looking like it will work out just fine.

Thats all for now,

Dave

Hi,

Just a very quick progress report..........on the NSE Saloon chassis build.

This was completed this morning, using the MJT etched components to make up into this :

post-7088-127417533688_thumb.jpg

Being only my second etched brass project, it has got off to a good start, although nearly didnt as I bent the solebars the wrong way to start with and was lucky that they didnt snap when I corrected them !

Hopefully the soldering will go as well for me now.........or should I call it a day and come back with fresh eyes next time ? blink.gif

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Not much at all happening here at 'The Lane', so went to DEMU for a look around on the Saturday...., as ever, I came home most inspired and loved meeting the people that I was able to.

When I got home, I found sixteen of these waiting for me :

post-7088-12764168396_thumb.jpg

They're excellent little mouldings but it turns out that they are actually weathered and very very lightweight.

The black screw threads do NOT work, as originally suspected, and the bit that actually holds the vehicle is NOT fixed, it is adjustable up and down but you couldn't hold, say, the weight of a Heljan 33 or Hornby 73 !

As these are available now, I'm very surprised that there hasn't been an thread entry anywhere, so am just about to start one.......

Dave

Must admit that I looked at those lifting jacks to provide an extra cameo within the work shop annexe of my preserved railway layout. This is the first time I have seen a photo of them as opposed to a rendered cab model, so I might see about getting a set :)

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dave,

I've been following this thread from the beginning, absolutely mental project. Love it! The scale is phenomenal, and the quality of the modelling is top notch. It's giving me ideas....biggrin.gif Dangerous, very dangerous wink.gif

cheers

jo

Good evening,

Just a quick update.......sixteen lifting jacks have now had a good inspection and they have been found to sit a little wonky.

This can be, and was in my case, rectified by filing the wheels a little flat at the bottom as this is a seperate fitting and depending on how it was glued together at the factory, will either allow the jack to sit straight or not. :

post-7088-127645834695_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127645835683_thumb.jpg

One other small detail has been corrected in my painting........that being the side of the staircase which should be white, not red ! Not exactly rivetting progress but it has to be as right as possible.

post-7088-127645846326_thumb.jpg

Dave

Hiya,

I'm thinking the best thing to do with these is to glue them at the required height for the item I want to pose in the lifted position.

In the real Stew Lane, the lifting jacks are still very new, only recently unwrapped, and I have only ever seen them used to lift Pullman cars.

post-7088-127654118676_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127654119748_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127654120861_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127654121958_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127654122983_thumb.jpg

As it's a while since Loco's were lifted here, I think it's safe to say that 33's and 73's would have been lifted with the overhead gantry cranes.

If I were to want to lift say 60's or Heljan 47's..........I'd be looking to REMOVE as much weight as possible from the Loco, and/or secure the jacks with maybe a length of metal rod to prevent the thing lowering ?

My reason for buying so many was partly in case I needed to set them up 'per vehicle'.......very pleased that I did that now.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon.........

thought I'd add a quick update before settling down for a snooze......erm....I mean......watch the 'football' !!!

As the advert says....."found room for your railway?".....well, yes finally I have.........just managed to fit this 8ft x 4ft board into position, prime development land for Battersea Stewarts Lane, London.

post-7088-127730038313_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127730039139_thumb.jpg

Now in theory I can draw the site plan onto this main baseboard and locate the shed buildings, before cutting in the pits and fitting them.

It all sounds too easy........

enjoy the footy.....

Dave

Good Morning,

Progress is slow here still, partly due to the hot weather and partly as I'm busy building this for my little girl :

post-7088-127788481721_thumb.jpg

It's far too hot for working in my shed, although this will help me when it comes to laying track. In the cool evenings I have been concentrating on the siting of the two main buildings for my layout :

post-7088-127788482482_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127788552761_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127788568334_thumb.jpg

I know it's not the best model in the world but it's all we have right now......73 114 is our depot 'pet'..........

post-7088-127788583297_thumb.jpg

The track in the pictures is temporary and will not be used for the finished item.....

I'm trying really hard to get it accurate so that I can re-create certain pictures from my collection in miniature, such as the odd vehicles dotted around the depot like the 14t Motor Car Van that has been sat outside the shed for ages now.

By the time that Hornby release their all new Class 67 and 73 models, I'm hoping the layout will be ready for them to arrive in some hefty 'Light Engine' convoys !!! biggrin.gif Come on Simon, we're waiting !!!

Once I've made absolutely sure the site plan is right.......I'm gonna be looking at cutting the pits into place and am taking a lot of inspiration from 'Boxenby Depot' for the fitting of these at the mo.

Thats all for now,

Dave

Looking good Dave how is the inspection saloon coming on?

Pete

Hi Pete,

The Inspection Saloon project here has been formally 'stopped U.F.N', due to a recent visitor that came to me for evaluation, please see previous post #138 I think it was.....

My plan is to work out the best way forward for what I want.......to self build or just buy the Marcs Models one which would save me build time that I can spend on the layout instead.

Thanks,

Dave

Please cut those couplings off the 73 - they nearly had my eye out! tongue.gif

I know it's not the best model in the world but it's all we have right now

But it looks like its prototype - which therefore gives it a considerable head start over several much newer models.

Debateable weather you'll get your 'dream' 73 - Its most likely a new 73 will have opening 'this' and etched 'that' and working 'this' and illuminated 'that'

but will it look as much like a 73? as your lima ones do??? If, (with my optimistic pessimist hat on) for example , the profile of the rainstrip above the windscreens isn't rendered correctly , your new 73 will look pants , and will be a pain to fix.

An old yet accurate bodyshell can be a hard act to follow - look at the class 31, 56 or 86

The lima shell is a very good, a known quantity - and therefore worth putting the effort in detailing - the result is you'll have a nice accurate detailed 73 - and then if a new version comes out thats also accurate , so what, then you'll have two nice detailed 73s smile.gif

If the lima 73 wasn't so accurate , then I'd be less inclined to detail it up - for fear of being gazumped by an all new model.

Shawplan Areals, MJT pipes and rubbing plates Replica Headlights , markits horns and buffers - Bachmann 'rat' chassis - simples

and you should get back £25-£30 putting the Bachmann and lima leftovers on ebay. The 73 is well worth a gamble IMO!

tfn

Jon

But it looks like its prototype - which therefore gives it a considerable head start over several much newer models.

Debateable weather you'll get your 'dream' 73 - Its most likely a new 73 will have opening 'this' and etched 'that' and working 'this' and illuminated 'that'

but will it look as much like a 73? as your lima ones do??? If, (with my optimistic pessimist hat on) for example , the profile of the rainstrip above the windscreens isn't rendered correctly , your new 73 will look pants , and will be a pain to fix.

An old yet accurate bodyshell can be a hard act to follow - look at the class 31, 56 or 86

The lima shell is a very good, a known quantity - and therefore worth putting the effort in detailing - the result is you'll have a nice accurate detailed 73 - and then if a new version comes out thats also accurate , so what, then you'll have two nice detailed 73s smile.gif

If the lima 73 wasn't so accurate , then I'd be less inclined to detail it up - for fear of being gazumped by an all new model.

Shawplan Areals, MJT pipes and rubbing plates Replica Headlights , markits horns and buffers - Bachmann 'rat' chassis - simples

and you should get back £25-£30 putting the Bachmann and lima leftovers on ebay. The 73 is well worth a gamble IMO!

tfn

Jon

Hi Shed.

I agree with Jon on this one Mate, except I would look at the Replica Hoses etc ( for MLV ) when they make it out onto the spares section ;) ) also don't forget the SJR models CSR pots etc along with the rest of it ...

Just need a set of decent dimensions for the Gatwick 'flash guards' and a nice dainty fold up etch, and Simon to chuck out the MK6 MB frames as a spare ( MMmmMM )and you are done,

Shawplan are also making more noises in the ED's direction as well

Mike

tfn

Jon

Hiya,

If I'm honest, I'd be happy just for a 'detail and drive package' upgrade for the Limby bodyshell........it doesn't HAVE to be completely re-tooled I know......surely this would suit Hornby too ?

If they wanna put in working lights and headcodes that would be good........or just use some of these items from the new VEP that is coming out, as all the parts are SR interchangeables.

I think we can live without opening doors though......does anybody actually use this feature ?

Dave

Just need a set of decent dimensions for the Gatwick 'flash guards' and a nice dainty fold up etch, and Simon to chuck out the MK6 MB frames as a spare ( MMmmMM )and you are done,

Mike

Im sure the flash guards were covered in a railway modeller (I think) article a few years back - also covering the detail differences between the 73/0 and 73/1 bogies. If the Hornby VEP frames arent available as spares , there still whitemetal ones available - which may even be an easier starting point to detail up correctly for a 73 - particularly modelling the fibreglass flash guards.

Ive not seen the Replica MLV pipes - I take it they're good then - better than MJT ?

tfn

jon

Archived