Battersea Stewarts Lane - London

Shedmaster

Good 411 Pics Dave smile.gif....

Still trying to decide what to model my layout on ... Hither Green ? Slade Green ?

Ian

Ian,

I have found that the main benefit of a forum such as this, is the inspiration available from other members and their projects, who in my experience, have then been more than supportive since I've decided to go for doing a layout myself.

What I said to you about space restrictions the other night could very easily be rubbished by others on here, who have overcome similar hurdles and just done it another way to make it work.....look through the layout topics and see for yourself, there are some really clever people in this hobby, it's just a shame that the wider world ridicules anybody with an interest in 'toy trains' !

What about a nice model of 'Gravesend'............nice simple track plan, roundy roundy capable and much of the stock is available, especially those shiny new 'Chavlins' ?

Dave

Good Evening,

Unfortunately, the fitters here will require more 'type training', as they managed to break the underframe trussing whilst removing the tightfit bodyshell !!! sad.gif

Make sure you take that up with Bachmann !!

They are a pain to get apart - the two green ones Ive got certainly were - luckily I didnt break anything (more luck than judgement).

Make sure you take that up with Bachmann !!

They are a pain to get apart - the two green ones Ive got certainly were - luckily I didnt break anything (more luck than judgement).

I dont see why you should have to open the bodies to fit chips, what about having a slot underneath the vehicle where you simply slide the chip up into the waiting socket ? a bit like battery compartments underneath toy cars etc........

Dave

I dont see why you should have to open the bodies to fit chips, what about having a slot underneath the vehicle where you simply slide the chip up into the waiting socket ? a bit like battery compartments underneath toy cars etc........

Dave

Well if you do have to remove the body to fit a chip , then the model should be designed so as not to need brute force to get it apart - but yes - Im sure some UK locos for example have a space in the fuel tank , for either a chip or a speaker - a relatively large 21 pin sound decoder would still fit easily within the underframe moulding of a small loco , like a 33 - Im hoping thats where our models go next - more user friendly , and less of the opening doors etc!

What about a nice model of 'Gravesend'............nice simple track plan, roundy roundy capable and much of the stock is available, especially those shiny new 'Chavlins'

i did build a small diorama of gravsend a while ago while testing out different "hint n tips"

i dint get too far into it as the wife didnt lie the 4x2 layout in the front room "B***H"

Well if you do have to remove the body to fit a chip , then the model should be designed so as not to need brute force to get it apart - but yes - Im sure some UK locos for example have a space in the fuel tank , for either a chip or a speaker - a relatively large 21 pin sound decoder would still fit easily within the underframe moulding of a small loco , like a 33 - Im hoping thats where our models go next - more user friendly , and less of the opening doors etc!

Even better still and I dont know why it hasnt been thought of, but when I put my SD card into my camera, it just slides in and clicks, to remove it, I push it and it spring releases.

Why cant SD chips, or their mounting arrangement at least, be used for digital Loco's ?

Dave

Good evening,

Just a quick few pics of work here at 'The Lane', as there is no money to move forward in great leaps right now, I am only able to make small amounts of progress.

The 'Electric Shed' building has been undergoing detailed inspection and minor adjustments, and some painting has started on the interior walls, this making a massive impact on the internal 'look'.

A whole host of stock has been visiting here this last week, the latest being a Grand Central power car and some FGW Mk3 trailers, these all giving me an accurate idea of the space available inside and how the camera angles will work.

Our very own 33 201 was captured in what will be known as 'The Stub Road', which will be a very special bit of track here....

This is one of the main areas in our shed for displaying Locomotives, The hole for the pit will be cut into the baseboard to something like the length of a Class 60, and then three different pits will be built, all being removeable.

One will be laid to Code 75 track, one will be laid as P4 and one will be laid as no rails, just flat metal floor panels that cover the hole.

Depending on what comes to visit, or what is 'posed' under repairs/on jacks/lifted by the gantry crane etc, there will be a section to accommodate this, it could be a dissected(?) Loco or simply some bogies being rebuilt !

Obviously, the Code 75 piece will allow stock to arrive/depart normally via the front shed door, under DCC control as it will simply be 'plugged in'.

The P4 section will have a connector to enable DCC 'running up' of sound chips and lights etc, but obviously, P4 gauged vehicles will be 'trapped in'.

The no-rails bit will enable cameo scenes such as bogie overhauls, component lifts etc.

Anyways, here is where I'm rambling about......I think there is masses of room for what I'm planning in my head.....

post-7088-127127557726_thumb.jpg

post-7088-12712755836_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127127558944_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127127559903_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127127560864_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127127561661_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now,

Dave

That's all?

I wish I had but a fraction of your modelling skills, good sir.

Many Thanks for the vote of support there, the truth is that there's a mountain of ideas in my head that I still need to make into reality, but I think it will all come out alright in the end........

Heres one I forgot in the last entry........the same Loco. but close up and with reasonable lighting........

post-7088-127127780239_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

I didn't think yesterday's posts were very descriptive of the actual buildings here, which are after all the main feature of the layout, so I have taken some detailed pics to try to show off some building detail. Any comments appreciated :

This is the main office section, which helpfully for me is removeable for painting, detailing and populating the rooms if I choose to :

post-7088-127133515897_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127133518879_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127133520058_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127133527056_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127133528102_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127133529369_thumb.jpg

The other main internal component, is the main wall section of the ancillary rooms which again, is removeable for painting and detailing etc. This is fitted with the building upside down as pictured and locks into place without glue :

post-7088-12713352158_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127133517282_thumb.jpg

When located in it's correct place, this is how it looks :

post-7088-12713352305_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127133524189_thumb.jpg

The open space on the left hand end of the wall is the workshop area and is hidden behind some seriously wierd mesh screens which will be added later I hope

post-7088-127133525571_thumb.jpg

as per :

post-7088-127133603617_thumb.jpg

I have tried to demonstrate how the interior of the building should look with a vehicle parked up, in this case our VSOE generator coach 6313. To my eye it looks like it will be good and part of the reason for these particular pictures was to test camera access via the rear open windows of the building.......so far so good methinks ?

post-7088-127133532101_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127133533515_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127133642892_thumb.jpg

This part of the building does of course represent this one :

post-7088-127133658038_thumb.jpg

Finally, I do apologise if you can't get hold of Peco's pits at the moment.......I seem to have bought rather a lot.......but then again, I CAN think of a layout that is gonna need even more than here.......eh Mr Grimley ?

post-7088-127133530779_thumb.jpg

Right, thats it for now, off outside for some playtime.......

All the best,

Dave biggrin.gif

Quality Dave, absolute quality. The Crompton inside the shed really gives you an idea of just how good this project will be. I wish I had a building of that quality, it really is going to be a cracking layout.

I really like the 5th shot (looking towards the front of the shed) as it gives a nice view of the height of the building. Once you get the pits in position and all the depot clutter that will look spot on. Can’t wait to see Grids and 60s on shed!cool.gif

No wonder I cannot get hold of any of those pits! huh.gif laugh.gif

Hello

The depot looks great, the office buildings look great but when placed into the depot it become something else. The real office to model I bet once it’s been completed it would be hard to tell the 2 apart.

Regards

Anthony

• RMweb Gold

The shot with the 33 looks great and gives a sense of scale - this is a large shed!

The interior details with the storage cabiniets, chairs and mats hanging over the hand rail on the prototype will provide so much information and once incorporated into your model will loo fantastic.

Thanks for sharing, certainly inspiring!

The shot with the 33 looks great and gives a sense of scale - this is a large shed!

The interior details with the storage cabiniets, chairs and mats hanging over the hand rail on the prototype will provide so much information and once incorporated into your model will loo fantastic.

Thanks for sharing, certainly inspiring!

Hi Guys,

Again, thanks for your comments and support.........

Mudmagnet, you have made me aware of something here..........DETAIL !

Honestly, I have got stacks of photo's of this place and I just have not noticed things like the mats on the railings, there is just too much detail to take in from all the pictures and as a result I just havent thought about it.

My plan here is basically to get the track in and operational, floor painted appropriately and then building details painted and added, including window frames, doors, brooms, mats, parts, wheels, etc, and thats before I even get to thinking about the other building !

Today I've been measuring up for a very special part of the project..........the shed doors, but I'm not planning on having just ANY old shed doors !

Of course, it might be an idea to get that baseboard in first ? wink.gif

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Its adding the details that seem to take the most time, but at least they can be added slowly and as the desire takes you. I will be adding details to my depot, but will wait until the area around the outside is more or less finish first. Your interior photos have given me plenty of ideas as well. Its the details that really bring everything to life, and I find one of the more rewarding aspects of building a layout. Its suprising what bits and pieces lying the bottom of the modelling draw left over from other projects can be turned into great detail parts.

I look forward to seeing how you do your doors - another thing that I need to do on my depot, but have not decided exactly how to do them - may copy your ideas!

Cheers.

Hi All,

Just a quick update.........more testing times I'm afraid :

We only have one available Pullman Parlour coach on site here that can properly represent anything in the current VSOE fleet, and that is Hornby's 'MINERVA', which fortunately has the correct roof and window profile for the vehicle concerned....

post-7088-127193477146_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127193482381_thumb.jpg

'MINERVA' is seen positioned inside the rear of the Electric Shed, where 'MONA' was sitting on the day(s) that I gathered my research photo's :

post-7088-12719349981_thumb.jpg

However, if I were to use our 'MINERVA'.....I would have to fit these to bring it up to date :

post-7088-127193505936_thumb.jpg

So instead of that........it will probably reside actually up on the Bachmann lifting jacks, detailed as follows, but minus any bogies, as you can see here, this one is waiting fitting of the optional detailing parts pack :

post-7088-127193537411_thumb.jpg

The good thing about Hornby Pullmans these days, is the ability to take the thing apart and just add the details you want......:

post-7088-127193529094_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now......

Dave

Hi Dave,

Superb shed fela not really bin down that way much myself but you've done a cracking job so far capturing every part of stewarts lane shed ;) keep up the good work i'm watching with interest.

Kind Regards, Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening,

Had a most impressive delivery from the postman this morning.........sorry to say it wasn't the 8x4 baseboard that we are desperately waiting for here, but these for the Electric Shed building :

The complete front, rear and side window frames with associated glazing. The frames are made of a laser cut, hard, rubbery, flexible type material that simply fits in place after painting......

( please excuse the workshop dirt from where I was handling them )

post-7088-127300255009_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127300258399_thumb.jpg

post-7088-12730025923_thumb.jpg

and........

The top window glazing, made of a perspex type panel, with glazing bars etched into the surface......

post-7088-127300256327_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127300257447_thumb.jpg

Complete window panels were also provided for the two long window panels in the Carriage & Wagon shed building, however, the camera battery went flat just at the critical moment !

Talking of baseboards.........funds have become available this week.............but were immediately diverted to getting the 'NSE Inspection Saloon' started.........in brass !

Finally,

Also on the workbench........

Although this layout is a big project for me, I can confirm that another smaller but more intricate 'special project' is also on the workbench..........involving motors, digital chips and CAD drawings !!! ( nope, it's not working gantry cranes! )

More soon.........

TTFN,

Dave

Dave,

Those windows look great - impressive. Where do these come from?

Hiya,

The windows are all 'designed in' to, and costed for, the project.

In the beginning, I just wanted accurate models of two particular buildings, so that I could build a working depot layout around them and have an accurate stock list to suit.

What I've ended up with is a number of 'diorama's' - in that the buildings can actually be used as part of a working model railway, or taken apart to stage certain things such as photo-shoots and cameo scenes in loads of different areas within the whole.

The layout is becoming more about the buildings than the actual trains now.............rolleyes.gif

Dave

Good Evening........

Did I ever mention that I had a plan that I was working towards ?

well.........I do and this is it........well........the site plan anyway.

The layout that I am building will feature the two depot buildings featured here :

post-7088-127342065869_thumb.jpg

I will not be including the surrounding viaducts etc, or much of the trackwork, as the buildings themselves will be the main focal aspect of the layout where my stock will be based.

The drawing is of the site 'as built' and that is why for instance the wheel lathe area is shown and some cross corridors are not.......although the layout is accurate, the usage is not as current.

Dave

Hello all,

Just a quick update to advise that the decorators have moved in here............and some colour is now appearing on our shed buildings. Reference to photograph's has shown that the internal girder work was brush painted blue but only to about half way up, maybe the height of a ladder at the time ? We're thinking this is very likely to be a British Rail Blue shade.

post-7088-127374913805_thumb.jpg

post-7088-127374915254_thumb.jpg

....and finally.......a visitor.....

post-7088-127374940436_thumb.jpg

TTFN,

Dave

Archived