Battersea Stewarts Lane - London

Shedmaster

Glad you like them dave!! I have to say I have really enjoyed working on them too, makes a nice change from boring office blocks! ;) I will be taking them to Watford finescale next weekend just in case you get chance to come and have a look. I'll try and keep them under wraps, but it sounds like there will be a lot of interest in them!!

Hope to see you next week.

Cheers

Chris Dening

york modelmaking

Hi Dave, If i didnt know better i would have thought they were the real thing they look super bet you cant wait to get started on building the main layout now, By the way the Manor is going to another show later this year.

Bruce

Stunning work - Chris - how would I go about getting some custom work done by you?

The best way is to look on yorkmodelmaking.com and have a look at the bespoke page. There is a phone number and email address on there so feel free to get in touch with us. There is also a diary of exhibition dates which we will be attending so feel free to come and say hi and have a chat with us about your project. Our next show is Watford next weekend.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers

Chris

I'd have to agree, you can see the quality of workmanship in those pictures.

This high standard of work keeps opening up old questions though, do I switch to 'P4' or not.

It's gonna be such a crime to have a perfect building spoiled by such inferior Peco trackwork.......isn't it ?

I'm hoping to take a 33 and a 60 up to Watford on the 21st to get some initial pics, so I hope to get a feel for the place 'in person'.

The great thing is.......everyone else will be able to see it too, as after it arrives here it won't be exhibited at all, except for the odd 'open day' !

Dave

This high standard of work keeps opening up old questions though, do I switch to 'P4' or not.

Dave

Hi Dave, superb quality on the buildings there Mate, a good call!

You will need to let me know about scale otherwise the brakes might not line up !!

Mike

Go on P4 it you know you want to. You'll only regret it later if you don't, besides you have those fantastic buildings to show off. I'm sure there's plenty of us with P4'd loco's who be very interested in an open day or 2.

Mark

Very nice,dave,

I like it when someone sticks to the plan and doesn't get sidetracked ! I also reckon a real location just has more believeability.

As to P4 I guess it's a question of time and money - I would dearly like to use OO finescale but with the cost of points double peco it's unlikely.I guess it always comes down to what compromises you are willing to make.

Dave I'd recommend sticking to OO if you have a large loco fleet.

It's more about using something other than Peco though I think... the photos you've shared I see a lot of bullhead track. Various people do this or you could make your own... C&L do flextrack, P4 track co do bases you thread your rails into yourself. P4 track co also do some nice flat bottom concrete sleeper stuff. You can see the P4 track co (i.e. Exactoscale) stuff here...

gallery_6671_16_493887.jpg

gallery_6671_16_299552.jpg

The P4 piece is obvious - but it's amazing how much a difference the proper spacing and better track gives to the OO.

Combine with handbuilt points, Tillig points or Peco code 75 points with careful weathering and ballasting and you'll be on to a winner! :)

James,

Many Thanks for taking the time to post this for me.....it's a great help as I'm so unaware of the alternative options.

I do have too many vehicles to make re-wheeling an option.

Some of these, i.e the steam, I just don't want to put new chassis in because the top halves will still not look convincing.

Actually, I may sling 'Clan Line' into the Watford trip next week and do another visual test inside the building if I am able.

The piece of track in your photo ( with the green Railtrack wagons ) looks like a good compromise and I think this would be suitable as long as I could fit conductor rail to it......I'm guessing that I can ?

My preference would also be to cut out the webbing between the sleepers to enable better ballasting, although the prototype is more of a 'cinder' trackbed than a bed of actual loose stones that the track sits on.

Also, I have 'cleverly' bought up the worlds supply of 'inspection pits'.........by................Peco.

15ft of it in total, so I was really hoping to be able to use this.

Dave

I've seen Nigel Burkin use the inspection pits for EM by slicing off the chairs and adding Peco individulay ones on with liquid poly - but it'd be a big faff for 15ft!

The bullhead OO in the photo is from Exactoscale (P4 Track Company). It's OO fast-track bases. You get enough for 2m in a pack fro ??6. The rails are sold in 0.5m lengths (or 1m at exhibitions) and is available in steel or nickel silver. I went for steel to see what it looked like and it does look good, but means you need to build your own points!

The webbing could be easily cut, but you would then end up with a tough job of straightening all the sleepers. I'd trial a piece and see how easy it would be to realistically ballast without doing this! As for 3rd rail - Exactoscale also do rail and chairs for this, or I suspect you could easily use the Peco stuff - the bullhead rail is Code 75 so there shouldn't be a height problem.

As I said on the PR blog - I'd love for my OO fleet to visit when the layouts more progressed - and if there is something I could help with or contribute I'd be honoured to be in a small way involved with such an ambitious and well observed layout :)

I've seen Nigel Burkin use the inspection pits for EM by slicing off the chairs and adding Peco individulay ones on with liquid poly - but it'd be a big faff for 15ft!

The bullhead OO in the photo is from Exactoscale (P4 Track Company). It's OO fast-track bases. You get enough for 2m in a pack fro ??6. The rails are sold in 0.5m lengths (or 1m at exhibitions) and is available in steel or nickel silver. I went for steel to see what it looked like and it does look good, but means you need to build your own points!

The webbing could be easily cut, but you would then end up with a tough job of straightening all the sleepers. I'd trial a piece and see how easy it would be to realistically ballast without doing this! As for 3rd rail - Exactoscale also do rail and chairs for this, or I suspect you could easily use the Peco stuff - the bullhead rail is Code 75 so there shouldn't be a height problem.

As I said on the PR blog - I'd love for my OO fleet to visit when the layouts more progressed - and if there is something I could help with or contribute I'd be honoured to be in a small way involved with such an ambitious and well observed layout smile.gif

James,

Thanks again for your help with this......you've helped me focus here on an important part of the layout and looking at it again......there ARE plenty of options.

I think I'd better keep my fleet of 'Salmon' wagons after all as there is some trackwork coming up later this year !

Because of the nature of the layout, i.e home based, I'd be all for a 'visiting stock' arrangement to be worked out later.

The layout won't be 'dated' as such because if I have my way, the shed doors will be removeable, meaning that any time period can be catered for photographically, well, maybe not actually, cos the shed next door will be modelled in its current modernised form.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening,

Just to advise that although I made it to the Watford show to see my new buildings, I was unable to take the planned 33 and 60 along for photo's.

However, I understand that a few others were able to have a preview of the new buildings, I hope you were as impressed as I was ?

Attention now turns to the second building :

post-7088-126695698475_thumb.jpg

the smaller carriage and wagon repair shed, for which I've been getting lots of research pictures and bombarding the builders with them..........

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave and James, I have been following your conversation about P4 with great interest as I have been wondering about what track to use for my new project. Like Mr. Shedmaster, I have a few locos so to make the changes to all of my fleet is just not practical both in terms of time and cost, so this to me is not an option. The photos you posted James show just how much better the other sections of track look when compared to the Peco ones, it makes a huge difference in appearance. Once ballasted I should think the track would look superb.

As my knowledge of this subject is zero I take it that you can either, buy the sleepers and then add the rail or buy sections of flexitrack, is that right? Also if using the 00 gauge track as per your photo, which points do you use? I do not have the time to build them so plan to use Peco points, will these be ok to go with the C&L or Exactoscale track?

Sorry to ask silly questions icon_redface.gif but as mentioned before I do not know anything about correct scale track!

Love the shed Dave, a nice construction 60 will look right at home sitting inside!

Hi all,

It occurs to me now that this depot is a brilliant one to model.........as I don't even have to have working 'dummies' :

post-7088-126713324641_thumb.jpg

But, there WILL be plenty of working interior lights on the buildings............lol !

Not much to report here at the mo.......apart from RailExpress tempting me with some new 37 boxed sets.

Just out of interest............bet you don't know what THIS contraption is for :

post-7088-126713363482_thumb.jpg

It's basically for detailed brake testing, to determine the 'leak off' values of the air brake system........how long will it take for the air to 'leak off' and the vehicle 'run away' ! I didnt get the computer or the rest of the test rig in the shot but found it all very interesting to watch in action.

This next one has prompted me to get hold of a Hornby CCT for some 'populating' work :

post-7088-126713384532_thumb.jpg

However, my final pics for this post are, firstly, a Class 460 'inner end', after having been split down for something to be done to it in the 'Electric Shed'.........I don't know what though.....too busy working elsewhere at the time !

post-7088-126713402552_thumb.jpg

....and, a 73 with the front half of it in the leccy building :

post-7088-126713418882_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now,

Dave cool.gif

Hi Dave,

The depot building looks excellent, and I think some of the alternative track options that have been suggested would give your layout a serious edge!

With regard to 3rd rail, if you're going to use better track I'd highly recommend the Scale4 Society's stunningly accurate 3rd rail components. The PECO stuff is simply wrong and looks poor, particularly if you use it with C&L type track. It'd be like double heading 6Y33, the Purley-Cliffe with one Heljan and one Lima 33 :lol:

Also, seeing as you're modelling the depot area I'd have thought the 3rd rail sections will be ended with ramps? The S4 Society produces 3 types of these. There are some pictures of the 3rd Rail, End ramps, and the chairs here: http://www.clag.org.uk/crs.html

The only negative point with these components is that the chairs are slightly fiddly to build. However, once you get into the rhythm of construction each chair will only take a few minutes. The 3rd rail and chairs really do look very very good.

HTH

Thomas :)

Hi Dave,

The depot building looks excellent, and I think some of the alternative track options that have been suggested would give your layout a serious edge!

With regard to 3rd rail, if you're going to use better track I'd highly recommend the Scale4 Society's stunningly accurate 3rd rail components. The PECO stuff is simply wrong and looks poor, particularly if you use it with C&L type track. It'd be like double heading 6Y33, the Purley-Cliffe with one Heljan and one Lima 33 laugh.gif

Also, seeing as you're modelling the depot area I'd have thought the 3rd rail sections will be ended with ramps? The S4 Society produces 3 types of these. There are some pictures of the 3rd Rail, End ramps, and the chairs here: http://www.clag.org.uk/crs.html

The only negative point with these components is that the chairs are slightly fiddly to build. However, once you get into the rhythm of construction each chair will only take a few minutes. The 3rd rail and chairs really do look very very good.

HTH

Thomas smile.gif

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your comments about the building...........I'm working really hard at the moment for them to have a good, clean, site when they arrive here. The baseboards are currently covered in junk !

I do fancy the Scale4 Society con. rail, but haven't really looked too hard at what I need for the track at the moment.........it'll be a case of locating the buildings first and developing the track around them, working inside outwards !

I'm being distracted by those 'baddies' at RailExpress again at the moment..........with something to pull this :

post-7088-12673985119_thumb.jpg

I'm really hoping to have a working depot by the time the new RailExpress Class 37 twin packs are released !

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening,

Just a quick progress report from Battersea Stewarts Lane, and some pictures to show.

I recently decided that the baseboards I acquired from eBay, although excellent, were not suited to my project. Soooooooo, out came three 'Brilliant Baseboards' stored since the ally pally show, erm, last year !

The first picture is of baseboard frames 4, 5 and 6, or the 'Right Hand Half of the layout', made up of three 'Brilliant Baseboards', permanently bolted together to form a 6ft x 4ft subframe.

post-7088-126886285301_thumb.jpg

I will then, temporarily, be putting a 6ft x 4ft sheet of 9mm ply onto the top of this and working out where the two main buildings are going to be sited and the three internal pits as well. Next I plan to remove the board and 'cut in' the pits before securing the ply to the subframe.....PERMANENTLY !

At this time, I do not know the length of the buildings, but I'm not gonna get much change out of the 6ft length !

The original 'Manor Lane' sign is still in situ on the wall but will be replaced with a suitable new one in due course.

In the next picture, you can see the 'divisible' board join where boards 1, 2 and 3 or the 'Left Hand Half of the layout' will join with 4, 5 and 6.

The layout is 11.5ft long by 4ft deep, so the left hand end will be 5.5ft long and the right hand end, 6ft long. Board 1 and it's subframe will be modified at it's left hand side to 'lose' half a foot and fit the available space.

post-7088-126886286155_thumb.jpg

In this next picture you can see the top of the 'divisible' left side of board 3, the black screws providing the ability to split the two sections down, making the layout 'semi-permanent', able to be moved if the wife were to divorce me for instance !

post-7088-126886286818_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, the Bachmann 'Dynamis Pro'' has now passed it's acceptance trials, needing a replacement 'remote IR sensor' as the supplied one was faulty, which will live here as shown in a central wall mounted location. I will be hiding the wire later on though.

post-7088-12688628763_thumb.jpg

Finally, attention is one day going to turn to the trackwork, and a very nice gentlemen at PH Designs has provided a new tool - to assist me with spacing the Peco sleepers to the correct Network Rail spec of 14inches apart.

I'll be making the tool very soon and will keep you posted on developments........

post-7088-126886288478_thumb.jpg

Thats all for this update...

Chat Soon,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just had a look through your thread and will enjoy following this layout progress - certainly not just another TMD with that shed you are having done for it looking superb - it also sounds like it will have an interesting fleet visiting it as well. Will you also be running the dutch liveried 56's that were used on the southern as one of those in a nice work worn condition would also look good alongside the 33's and 60's. Please keep us all posted with your progress - it will be great with those sheds in place as well to really give an idea of what you will be able to fit in.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Dave,

Just had a look through your thread and will enjoy following this layout progress - certainly not just another TMD with that shed you are having done for it looking superb - it also sounds like it will have an interesting fleet visiting it as well. Will you also be running the dutch liveried 56's that were used on the southern as one of those in a nice work worn condition would also look good alongside the 33's and 60's. Please keep us all posted with your progress - it will be great with those sheds in place as well to really give an idea of what you will be able to fit in.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm really hoping to be able to run dutch 56's and maybe the Mainline blue 31 if they were to become available one day.

I think I'm now going to need a site of 8ft x 4ft for the two sheds, not 6ft x 4ft........all so I can stable a Loco out front for a photo and not have a board join spoiling the shot in front of the shed doors !

I'll be at ally pally on the Saturday btw if anyone else is going ?

Dave

A great looking job on the buildings. You could easily set your mind at ease with a class 56 or two.

Your probably better having the boards a bit longer because it will give a little more protection to the buildings aswell.

I'm going saturday also

Lukasz

Archived