Class 85

Michael Delamar

I've heard many people say that they think that the Class 84 is the most stylish of the early AC Electrics. I personally disagree, I think they were a bit of an ugly duckling but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be over the moon if a manufacturer announced one (although it would mean that the semi-scratchbuild slowly taking place on my workbench would probably be consigned to the 'never-to-be-completed' drawer). I can see Tof's point in that they did have a limited lifespan when compared to other AC classes and from a commercial point of view perhaps an 87 would make more sense, but there have been (IMHO) many odd choices by companies in the past when they have announced new products, items that I wouldn't have thought would be that popular.

I await further news with baited breath - bring on the ACs!

Edited by forest2807
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see various reasons why an 84 might be a good choice:-

1. It doesn't need wires, just a line of them parked up dumped (Like the Clayton?)

2. Ideal for Heljan as it doesn't even need to work (Like the Clayton?)

3. To prove the point that electric locos don't sell?

Andi (tongue firmly in cheek)

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I can't see the NRM commissioning a class 84 ,I would have thought they would go for something like a steam loco which would have wider appeal to the general public who wander in and around the NRM. It would be nice if Bachmann announced something either in the summer announcements or at the DEMU showcase to show their commitment to overhead line modelling but I suspect will will be waiting till next march for a sign!

I was a bit gutted when the 84 wasn't announced I thought Dapol Dave was a reliable informant. We need a new super grass!

Incidentally does anyone recognise the brand of catenary used in the Bachmann catalogue (pages 61/ 67)!

Mark

When I spoke to Bachmann in 2012 at the Collectors Meeting, they confirmed my thoughts that the OHLE was Viessman, which is more easily obtained in quantity abroad, ie Germany, from my experience.

• Like 1

I've heard many people say that they think that the Class 84 is the most stylish of the early AC Electrics. I personally disagree, I think they were a bit of an ugly duckling but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be over the moon if a manufacturer announced one (although it would mean that the semi-scratchbuild slowly taking place on my workbench would probably be consigned to the 'never-to-be-completed' drawer). I can see Tof's point in that they did have a limited lifespan when compared to other AC classes and from a commercial point of view perhaps an 87 would make more sense, but there have been (IMHO) many odd choices by companies in the past when they have announced new products, items that I wouldn't have thought would be that popular.

I await further news with baited breath - bring on the ACs!

Thankfully someone seems to have the same point of view as me- the 84's were probably the first to gain a cult following but somehow North British interpreted the design brief to produce a right munter of a loco, the 81's and 83's were much better looking. 84001 currently isn't doing itself any favours by continuing to shed whatever paint is applied to it, and it's owners don't seem to have a plan for it in the short or long term.

I can see it being a viable model once one of the more deserving types is covered, there are over 200 other AC's in a wide variety of liveries that need to be updated to modern standards and there's no reason why they wouldn't sell as long as they were as good as the Bachmann 85 (and that's acknowledging it's errors).

With reference to Mark's query about the catenary in the Bachmann catalogue in comment 907, the article on the Viessman catenary was in Model Rail No.106, July 2007.  With Viessman & Sommerfeldt catenary systems, you are restricted to set lengths between masts. 

Many years ago I used JV catenary (still available) as their single masts were a  good representation of early WCML masts with no mods required.  I also used their continental style masts, modified  to look like the multi track portal frames as seen around Crewe & Birmingham.  I used the masts/portal frames but scratchbuilt the wires to span 3 or 4 masts to fit my layout as catenary is unique to each layout.  Whilst not superdetailed like that on 'Birmingham New Street', when viewed from 1M at exhibitions it looks the part, is all portable & trains can be run at a scale 100mph with the pantograph in contact with the wire.  See comments 585, 599 & 613 for photos & brief description.

An article on the construction & fitting of the catenary will be featured in an article in Model Rail later this year.

Edited by Crewlisle
  • Like 1

There is no OLE on the model of Birmingham New Street yet.

Andi

With reference to the article on OLE for 'Birmingham New Street' by Jim Smith-Wright in Model Rail 111 (December 2007), he makes a couple of statements which gave me the wrong impression.

He starts paragraph 5 with the statement, 'Early in the study of building OLE for my Birmingham New Street layout in 'P4'.......', and after the excellent detailed article about making and testing he finishes the article by stating, 'It will be several more years before OLE is needed on New Street..........'.  I just wrongly assumed that some would have been fitted by now as the article was written well over 5 years ago.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not on the main (station) section of the layout yet but on the trial section (appoach cutting from the east?) there is.

See - http://www.p4newstreet.com/ohle

Some of the stock pictures also show it.

That is the test board known as 'The Plank' that has been around for several years.http://www.p4newstreet.com/the-plank

It is not part of the layout and Jim only built it as a proving project. It is a 4ftx1ft single board that Jim uses for photos. Jim has not built anything yet that crosses a baseboard joint with OLE.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

That is the test board known as 'The Plank' that has been around for several years.http://www.p4newstreet.com/the-plank

It is not part of the layout and Jim only built it as a proving project. It is a 4ftx1ft single board that Jim uses for photos. Jim has not built anything yet that crosses a baseboard joint with OLE.

Andi

Thank you for the further clarification.

Can I assume 'The 'Plank' gets its inspiration from here-:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.47933,-1.890674&spn=0.000003,0.00327&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.47933,-1.890674&panoid=rvzo_wWZw_69QjfcmIhMPw&cbp=12,244.33,,1,0

great pathe film but the 100mph clips were speeded up to more like 120-130 despite the speedo reading.

it must have been quite something in 1966 jumping on board one of those new trains over the old class 40s out of euston wheezing up camden bank.

great pathe film but the 100mph clips were speeded up to more like 120-130 despite the speedo reading.

it must have been quite something in 1966 jumping on board one of those new trains over the old class 40s out of euston wheezing up camden bank.

Way back in the 60's, I used to go on BLS trainspotting trips (anyone remember them?). One weekend wh had an early start - 0530 - from Crewe on the sunday, with a coach visiting the Liverpool area, and returning to Crewe for teatime. I was returning via Euston, then Liverpool St. to Cambridge. Upon arrival at Crewe, we found our train was diverted (not sure where, & no bustitution) giving a much extended journey time quoted. The train pulled in, hauled by an electric loco (liked that) which took us through to Euston as the wires had just been extended. But the speed was phenomenal! Even with the diversion, we arrived about 20mins earlier that the 'proper time'.

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not quite sure where to put these videos to give them the maximum exposure they deserve, but with 85s present, this popular thread seems like a good place.  No sound on these but well worth watching:

• Like 3

Not quite sure where to put these videos to give them the maximum exposure they deserve, but with 85s present, this popular thread seems like a good place.  No sound on these but well worth watching:

The fourth one has D5500 on the WCML at Hemel or Watford. Surely this could not have been a regular working?

Tony

Awesome videos - particularly as they were before my time.

Kept me up way past my bedtime last night!

Was also particularly interested in the fourth one - as already noted above in respect of D5500 (at Hemel).

As most most of this video depicts the last year (1965?) of the 'old railway' before the full electric services started.

With those lumbering English Electric 1Co-Co1's on the express services.

Although did I notice one split headcode Peak on an up express.

Didn't think that these (aside from the Pilot Scheme versions D1-D10) featured on the WCML in the sixties?

For someone born in Watford in 1961 this is precious stuff.

I lived at Garston (Herts) from 1965 with no station there until '66 so the green Craven unit at the old platform 10 bay, Watford junction is probably my earliest railway memory. I can just about remember asking my mother what the big round hole in the ground was for(where the turntable was).

The best we do now is stand on platform 9 and close your eyes for a moment.

Thanks for posting.

RP

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...