Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 85

Michael Delamar

Guest jim s-w

Dunno andi

Mine were from Dapol and are the same length (both of them). Its a mystery.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w

• RMweb Gold

the cab roofs on that 81 look very long..............are they correct?

They are very slightly shorter than the cab rooves of the Bachmann 85, so they look about right...

post-6674-0-97318200-1350510299.jpg

Various compromises have been made on the body to compensate for the too long bogies of the Trix model. The 'square' brackets that sit at the centre of the bogies have been moved inwards, and the bodyside windows and grills have also been moved inwards from the cab door to match the brackets... This photo shows the trix body sat on a photo of the real thing and you cab see that there is a lot more meat between the cab and the grill on the model than there should be. The Tri-ang model in comparison has this area correct.

As a result of everthing being moved inwards the gap between the centre grills above the BR arrows is too small.

post-6674-0-15967200-1350510624.jpg

Andi

• Like 2

Guest jim s-w

As mentioned earlier in the thread i still think it would be a pretty simple bash to get an 81 from the Bachmann 85. If enough people were interested i could do a simple etch for the bodyside. At the end of the day though, if you want to model overhead electrics you are going to have to accept pretty early on that you are going to have to get your hands dirty and do some actual modelling.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by jim s-w
  • Like 4

+1

What he said.......without wanting to offend anybody I'm sure Jim means well. Certainly if the 85 is the first and last of the new generation of ACs then we'll all have to start cutting and shutting :)

Edited by ThaneofFife

It's designed like that, there is only 2 LED's on the little lighting circut boards for the Cab ends, yellow/amber/orange for the marker lights/ headcode display and one red LED for one of the rear lights.

HTH

Regards

Matt

I wonder if anyone can help with a similar query. I've just come home from the Peterborough Show with the AL5 variant in original electric blue. Runs beautifully and lots of other positives, but I see that the small lights at the bottom corners of the fronts only show red, and this only when the loco is in reverse. The front end going forward has no illumination for these little lights, although the headcode panel is lit. Do I have a dud, or is this how it should be?

Incidentally, The Signal Box of Rochester had these and some railblue variants on sale for £64.99, which seems a real bargain, although rather sad in another way for such a fine model.

Many thanks, John.

I wonder if anyone can help with a similar query. I've just come home from the Peterborough Show with the AL5 variant in original electric blue. Runs beautifully and lots of other positives, but I see that the small lights at the bottom corners of the fronts only show red, and this only when the loco is in reverse. The front end going forward has no illumination for these little lights, although the headcode panel is lit. Do I have a dud, or is this how it should be?

It would only have any kind of light like that running light engine. It is also unlikely two lights would have been on at the same time or at all in daylight when an oil lamp carried on the bracket (over the buffers) would have been carried, also normally unlit in daytime, but as they were painted white, fairly obvious as a marker for the end of the train. We are not talking modern high intensity lights here. WR hydraulics were different (of course!) in having one light clear and the other red at each end.
  • Like 2

Many thanks indeed to Adrian and Bernard for your help. The price of £64.99 was on the Signal Box stand at Peterborough show, along with some other steam and diesel goodies such as a green Derby Lightweight for £61.99. Their pricing was well below the levels of other traders present but remember they do seem to act as clearers for Modelzone with whom there is some corporate relationship. Sorry if my post was less than clear on this.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Surprised to hear they were selling them that cheap at this early stage.

The lowest price I saw them at the same show was £75 for the pre-tops version however I heard a few buyers asking traders what their best prices were and many were happy to reduce them in order to bag a sale so a lot of the time you can treat the price tag at these events just as a guide anyway.

Lots of good prices at the show including the new Hornby EWS timber wagons for £9.99 and the not so new ScotRail Class 90 for £34.99

Edited by ThaneofFife

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested, I've now had some positive feedback from Steve at Railtec Models after suggesting a transfer and number set to replicate 85 030 "Fell Runner" and he seems to like the idea. Obviously only one name required!

Ive sent him some close up photos of the loco and the name and left it with him - his exact words were watch this space.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

that model of lime street is brilliant........read about it in Model Rail. a real work of art especially the station roof. ill be taking a good look at this at Warley.

pity its not based on the electric era rather than steam! :)

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 1

I'd forgotten that electric locos used to travel a good distance up the five ways tunnel when moving around the north end of the station (or is it the west end :)) or leaving those stabling sidings by the PSB. think the wires went round out of sight for a good few hundred yards or so.......

Edited by ThaneofFife

Hi Guys,

thought I'd share a couple of pics of my 85. Thanks to a good friend who shared his photos, I renumbered it as 85102, as it lasted until 1991. Used Fox Transfers and the weathering was done by myself, although it does look a bit better at "normal" distances, honest! One thing I didn't notice until after I'd weathered it was the TOPS panel was moved further down the cabside... :scratchhead:

post-7258-0-21829800-1352831457_thumb.jpg

post-7258-0-32742900-1352831470_thumb.jpg

It's a super model, would like to get another one and do it as 85110, as that lasted into 1990.

Cheers,

Andy.

• Like 7