The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Not gone yet but won't be missed at all

Tim Hale

Guest Max Stafford

Added to my already overflowing list.

People who study politics with the intention of leaving their jumped-up polytechnic to go straight into politics as a career.

Healthy, able-bodied people who think the world owes them something when they've contributed nothing of their own.

Drug dealers - because they are now the de facto rulers of several areas of this country and yet are probably the expression of private enterprise in it's sincerest and most unrestricted form.

Did I mention Voyagers?

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

People who study politics management with the intention of leaving their jumped-up polytechnic to go straight into politics management as a career.

:P

• Like 3

People who study politics with the intention of leaving their jumped-up polytechnic to go straight into politics as a career.

Are any of these actually successful* in their chosen profession?

* Let's define "success" in terms of actually being elected or hired into a relevant paid post.

(And asked genuinely without the intent to start a political discussion. I am unfamiliar with the minutia of British politics at the grass roots level.)

...Self-appointed god-like figures who believe titles and/or wealth put them above decency or even the law

Tabloids

Free market ideology gone mad (as in total economisation of any and all aspects of human existence)

Chavs

Motoring morons who believe "horsepower is might and might is right"

....Vandalising boneheads ruining trains and other property

Self-serving politicians

....Revolving door between politics and business

That's a bit unfair to people who really do behave like animals :lol::

harbour4.jpg

People who study politics management with the intention of leaving their jumped-up polytechnic to go straight into politics management as a career.

People who come into my jumped up polytechnic as students of management/business/marketing/advertising/public relations/HRM/accountancy/economics/finance without the least idea that they're going to be asked to understand basic mathematics and analyse data put in front of them, as will be required in any job in management/business/marketing/advertising/ublic relation/HRM/accountancy/economics/finance

People who come into my jumped up polytechnic as students of management/business/marketing/advertising/public relations/HRM/accountancy/economics/finance without the least idea that they're going to expend some energy in working for their degree

People who come into my jumped up polytechnic as students of management/business/marketing/advertising/public relations/HRM/accountancy/economics/finance expecting that as they're paying we have no right to fail them.

• Like 3

Cable theives

Train Taggers

Excessive 'elf and safety

Poorly kept real ale

Travelling on voyagers :bad: :stinker: (noisy uncomfortable stinkheaps..but irritatingly fast and reliable)

post 1980 buses

Chavs with staffies

Soap operas

jeremy vine on radio 2

EU

The smoking ban (and I don't smoke)

Over priced beer (If Sammy Smiths can do reasonably priced beer.......why not everyone else?)

Pubs closing down (see above)

Sooldering irons that burn out just as you've sussed out how to set up a complicated and delicate joint...

etc.....

Wonderful. It's great to know that I'm not alone in the world having such views (although my dearly beloved thinks I am).

May I add.

People who don't know the differnce between theyre, their and there.

Rubish speling in generel.

Football.

Jol

Pree-cisely sir!

What exactly is a Harper 7, a kit-car, sci-fi series or shelved Enid Blyton project?

The crisis hit a new level when Miss Smith, from Basildon, along with her children Bianca Mercedes, Chanel Storm, Nathan Kyle and Jordan Kai, ran out of Sunny Delight.........

Wonderful. It's great to know that I'm not alone in the world having such views (although my dearly beloved thinks I am).

May I add.

People who don't know the differnce between theyre, their and there.

Rubish speling in generel.

Football.

Jol

Do you mean they're with an apostrophe?;)

• Like 3

Guest Max Stafford

"...Chavs with staffies..."

Ok Jon, I'll give you the first half of that one.

But if you were to propose the disposal of one of Doggydom's finest, steadiest and most misunderstood characters; wholly misrepresented as some kind of savage war wolf when most are complete softies more likely to lick you to within an inch of your mortal existence having mistaken you for their best buddy or a sausage ice lolly then I'd say...

OI! FITNESS! NOOOOOOO!

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The smoking ban (and I don't smoke)

Pubs closing down (see above)

I assume you are linking the two, in which case I think you will find you are wrong.

The smoking ban is blamed for all pub trade ills and calls to overturn it keep being made by certain people as a panacea that will cure all.

Pubs were closing at a similar rate long before the smoking ban, the reasons are variable but high taxes and costs are claimed to be one of the prime causes and much cheaper booze at off licenses/supermarkets another.

(See various Camra and Wetherspoons comments over the years)

Keith

... one of Doggydom's finest, steadiest and most misunderstood characters ...

Should I understand this to mean a Staffordshire Bull Terrier?

I was quite at a loss for a while there. Staffy/Staffies is a new term for me.

Ok Jon, I'll give you the first half of that one.

Dave.

NOOO, I love staffies, cracking hounds they are but.....

It's the hackney'd image of the "Chav with the staffy on a lead" using a perfectly nice hound as a fashion accessory I don't like.

JF

• Like 3

I assume you are linking the two, in which case I think you will find you are wrong.

The smoking ban is blamed for all pub trade ills and calls to overturn it keep being made by certain people as a panacea that will cure all.

Pubs were closing at a similar rate long before the smoking ban, the reasons are variable but high taxes and costs are claimed to be one of the prime causes and much cheaper booze at off licenses/supermarkets another.

(See various Camra and Wetherspoons comments over the years)

Keith

It was more about the price of beer than the smoking ban. Although I'm not a smoker myself, I do miss the haze in a well used pub!:drinks: . It just seemed part of the whole pub "thing" that I remember from my yoof!

Although I'm not a smoker myself, I do miss the haze in a well used pub!:drinks: . It just seemed part of the whole pub "thing" that I remember from my yoof!

I remember it too, and I certainly don't miss it. I detested the acrid smell of cheap cigarettes, particularly when I had to carry it home on my hair and clothes.bad.gif

• Like 1