Ribblehead-Chirk timber

narrowman

• RMweb Premium

What's the route of the above train when it leaves the Settle & Carlisle?

I've seen it on the S&C, Frodsham and Chirk, but where else am I likely to see it?

Regards,

Tony

The usual daily train is Carlisle-Chirk 6J37 via S&C, Hellifield to Blackburn (via 20' from my back door) and Farington South curve onto the WCML to Warrington. Then onto Frodsham. Dunno where it goes then exactly as it enters another country....... :laugh:

The northbound 6C37 working is normally WCML to Carlisle.

This week, there's an extra Ribblehead-Chirk running MWFO with the empties TThO. 1855 from Ribblehead, 1600 from Chirk, but I don't know (yet) if the empties are going north via Blackburn/S&C or via WCML to Carlisle and south on S&C. They usually go north via S&C due to lack or run-round at Ribblehead, but they have been known to go Carlisle/Hellifield, run round and then north to Ribblehead to shunt back into sidings.

Incidentally, the recently renumbered 66850 is on the Ribblehead and 66843 on the Carlisle this week.

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 months later...

The usual daily train is Carlisle-Chirk 6J37 via S&C, Hellifield to Blackburn (via 20' from my back door) and Farington South curve onto the WCML to Warrington. Then onto Frodsham. Dunno where it goes then exactly as it enters another country....... :laugh:

The northbound 6C37 working is normally WCML to Carlisle.

This week, there's an extra Ribblehead-Chirk running MWFO with the empties TThO. 1855 from Ribblehead, 1600 from Chirk, but I don't know (yet) if the empties are going north via Blackburn/S&C or via WCML to Carlisle and south on S&C. They usually go north via S&C due to lack or run-round at Ribblehead, but they have been known to go Carlisle/Hellifield, run round and then north to Ribblehead to shunt back into sidings.

Incidentally, the recently renumbered 66850 is on the Ribblehead and 66843 on the Carlisle this week.

Cheers,

Mick

Passing through from The Dales about 3pm stopped at Ribblehead.

66850 was uncoupled (pointing towards Carlisle?) the logs had just been loaded by grab truck and were being attended to by crew.

Presumably a 6pm departure?

post-7252-0-31907100-1319821480_thumb.jpg

Cr@ppy mobile shots - apologies

post-7252-0-73362300-1319821339.jpg

post-7252-0-65657200-1319821355.jpg

post-7252-0-33912700-1319821370.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Probably earlier than that - happened to be at Blackburn about 1715 a couple of weeks back when it passed through loaded - towards Farington as suggested.

That would be the regular Carlisle-Chirk 6J37. The Ribblehead-Chirk is normally through Blackburn sometime after 2000, (often following the Clitheroe-Manchester DMU between Clitheroe and Blackburn)

Cheers,

Mick

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not as far as I'm aware. Someone else will confirm the end of that set up. The old Pontrillas Station House is a great place to stay for B & B or the Station itself as self catering. Trains really do thunder past the window!!

P

Not as far as I'm aware. Someone else will confirm the end of that set up. The old Pontrillas Station House is a great place to stay for B & B or the Station itself as self catering. Trains really do thunder past the window!!

P

Sadly not- it stopped when EWS gave up on wagon-load traffic away from the core Eastleigh- Mossend route. Once there weren't any 'Enterprise' workings on the North and West, there was no way of picking up and dropping off the wagons.

On the general timber front, Colas must be expecting further flows, as there's a long rake of wagons waiting at Frethun to come through the Tunnel. These are former Cargowaggon 'Holdall' wagons, which have had their canopies removed, and substantial stanchions fitted. I estimate there are about thirty waiting.

• RMweb Gold

On the general timber front, Colas must be expecting further flows, as there's a long rake of wagons waiting at Frethun to come through the Tunnel. These are former Cargowaggon 'Holdall' wagons, which have had their canopies removed, and substantial stanchions fitted. I estimate there are about thirty waiting.

I believe some are already in the UK too

I believe some are already in the UK too

Any idea when they arrived; I've been off since last Sunday, and the score then was that some wagons needed steps removing to be within gauge, and Colas were still sorting out paths through the tunnel and onwards. Incidentally, the wagons are finished in a very glossy dark blue (with bare wood facings to the insides of the ends), and carry Dutch registration details.

On their way to Gloucester even as I type - 6Z47 - behind 47739

How annoying to have crashed my car the day before (minorish damage / no injuries) - was looking forward to photing this..............

Could some post a pic of the train please ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Colas must be expecting further flows

Correct, more is hoped for in due course.

30 wagons came into the UK, and were initially stabled at Gloucester. Most have now gone to South Wales for 'fitting out', the last few will depart Gloucester next week.

The new wagons are, I understand, partly intended to replace older wagons in existing rakes, but will also provide additional resources for possible further traffic.

Class 56 expected on Teignbridge timber train next week, btw!

Well hush ma mouth !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It ran today as the 1212 [6Z30]TO Gloucester NY - Barry, seen passing Standish Jn some 90 min late under the biggest blackest cloud of the day after 2 hours of virtually unbroken sunshine which returned some 5 mins after the train had passed - never mind at least it ran with a "proper" engine on the front.

post-5198-0-25396400-1347983228_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Well hush ma mouth !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It ran today as the 1212 [6Z30]TO Gloucester NY - Barry, seen passing Standish Jn some 90 min late under the biggest blackest cloud of the day after 2 hours of virtually unbroken sunshine which returned some 5 mins after the train had passed - never mind at least it ran with a "proper" engine on the front.

post-5198-0-25396400-1347983228_thumb.jpg

Brilliant photo - many thanks!

Archived