Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Millway Dock featuring Leaford NSE layout now sold.

Hampshire Hog

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info on your Ped it does seem Howes sound chips are the go, I asked because a freind of mine has the Hornby factory sound fitted one and we both think it doesn't really capture the sound.

I remember see a blue 31 at Eastleigh in the early 80s I have a grainy pic somewere. During 1990-1 while I was working up Eastleigh East Yard I saw a Railfreight grey 31 arrive on oil train, it was uncoupled and went back LE straight away.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I dont know whether it would a practical solution with the cost of postage etc, but could you send the Hornby Chip back to Howes for a re-blow, I am not familiar with the chips fitted by Hornby but they all seem to be ESU Loksounds

and I sure it could be reblown, I am confident you both would be pleased with it especially with the Chips Start speed set to 001. Max speed 018. Mid speed 009. Acc rate 060. Dec rate 015. I accept that this may seem a little slow when you try it, but it is a good starting point.

I know I didnt see many 31's in this area, and it sounds if they got rid asap when they did arrive.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Peter,

I dont know whether it would a practical solution with the cost of postage etc, but could you send the Hornby Chip back to Howes for a re-blow, I am not familiar with the chips fitted by Hornby but they all seem to be ESU Loksounds

and I sure it could be reblown, I am confident you both would be pleased with it especially with the Chips Start speed set to 001. Max speed 018. Mid speed 009. Acc rate 060. Dec rate 015. I accept that this may seem a little slow when you try it, but it is a good starting point.

I know I didnt see many 31's in this area, and it sounds if they got rid asap when they did arrive.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunatly I don't have a sound fitted class 31 it was my friends. Llanbourne is not DCC yet, but I have been thinking about it. My friend does use Howes and has had some of his stuff reblown.

I had a quick look through your thread to see what DCC system you use as I have been looking for something that would work well with Llanbourne, and the fact that like Leaford it's an end to end layout and I would be changing locos a fair bit.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunatly I don't have a sound fitted class 31 it was my friends. Llanbourne is not DCC yet, but I have been thinking about it. My friend does use Howes and has had some of his stuff reblown.

I had a quick look through your thread to see what DCC system you use as I have been looking for something that would work well with Llanbourne, and the fact that like Leaford it's an end to end layout and I would be changing locos a fair bit.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter,

You could do a lot worse than the NCE stuff I actually use a Power Pro which is a 5amp system, I am not sure I actually need 5 amps, but it has the brain power to operate all of the points using macros, the signals, all of the sound and lighting on the locos and units, and of course all of the traction requirements of the stock, The Power Cabs that I originally purchased now just act as throttles, and to be honest the thing that impressed me the most was that when I first received the Power Cab within 10mins of unpacking it I had a train running on the layout using DCC - it is simple to use, maybe this helps you to make a decision , It is also compliant with Railroad & Co and apart from the odd hiccup works well if perhaps you were thinking of going down this route eventually.

0o00 wrote,

" Good work on the RM article Kevin. I had a flick through in Smiffs at lunchtime and may purchase it over the weekend."

Alex"

Thanks for that Alex it was nothing really ;) although I would very much like to take the credit for the article, It really is the Model Rail Team who did all of the hard work, I just answered questions over the phone.

Kevin.

Kevin,

A question about your Powercab 5 amp. DOes it remember waht a loco was 'doing' (i.e. lights on, sound on, etc.) when it is not saved in the recall function?

If not (as mine doesn't), how do you use it to select new locos without it forgetting the previous one? The reason I ask is we use Lenz on Oulton TMD and this remembers all locos and the settings they had.

Thanks

Jeff

Kevin,

A question about your Powercab 5 amp. DOes it remember waht a loco was 'doing' (i.e. lights on, sound on, etc.) when it is not saved in the recall function?

If not (as mine doesn't), how do you use it to select new locos without it forgetting the previous one? The reason I ask is we use Lenz on Oulton TMD and this remembers all locos and the settings they had.

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am not familiar with Lenz equipment and cannot comment but the NCE 5 amp Power Pro is a stand alone little black box, and the Power Cabs when used with the Power Pro just act as throttles, when used in this way each Power Cab can store 6 locos in its recall, and you can connect 63 Power Cabs to each Power Pro.

At the present time I can connect 6 Power Cabs to Leaford which enables me to operate 36 locos or units at any one time (Personally I find 2 powercabs and a computor more than I can cope with :unsure: ), However if I select a loco not in its recall stack then it will forget one of the previous six but only its last function i.e lights and sound it does not forget any of its basics like Max speed, Mid speed, sound volume, etc.

When you recall the same loco you would have to restart the engine and turn the lights back on, although I am not sure but I think some loco chips can be programmed to remember their last functions.

I hope that this helps

Regards

Thanks Kevin,

It's the NCE powercab that I have been thinking of getting, my main worry was the control of locos as the powercab has a wheel type controller and not a knob like I have with my old Gaugemaster.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Kevin,

It's the NCE powercab that I have been thinking of getting, my main worry was the control of locos as the powercab has a wheel type controller and not a knob like I have with my old Gaugemaster.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Peter

Great layout by the way

Dont worry about the thumb wheel I found it quite intuitive when I first got mine. I also find for running trains out of stations etc the incremental buttons with feedback are ok as well.

Hi all

Heard from Kevin today that Leaford is confirmed for the Basingstoke show March 12-13th, and the Wilton (Salisbury) show May 7-8th 2011. See you all there then.:)

That's great news i will be going to both of these, look forward to seeing this layout in the flesh B)

Thanks Darren NSE DAZ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I some times think we enjoy making life difficult for ourselves, I say this having built a new fiddle road for Leaford which is secluded behind the existing storage racks and fiddle roads, the idea being that a lot of the passenger trains now under the control of the computor are not taking up all of the roads in the existing fiddle road and therefore allowing more freight trains to run, Because of its location it has led to far more problems than buiding the rest of the layout put together, never mind it is now finished and and I am pleased to say working well.

The new Fiddle Yard.

post-5799-0-48802800-1292939294_thumb.jpg

Two of Pitbulls "Leaford 3" waiting for transfer to Bocott.

post-5799-0-34659300-1292939404_thumb.jpg

And finally Merry Christmas to you all.

Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

It looks like it was meant to be there, it all fits together nicely. I look forward to seeing it in operation at some point.

The locos are looking good, I should imagine they will be employed on engineering works at Leaford over the Chistmas period and eventually work their way down to Bocott.

Have a great Christmas, and I will speak to you probably in the new year as I'm back to work Boxing day.

Cheers

Scott

Peter

Great layout by the way

Dont worry about the thumb wheel I found it quite intuitive when I first got mine. I also find for running trains out of stations etc the incremental buttons with feedback are ok as well.

Thanks Kipford,

Only just found your post, Powercab is looking the favourite at the moment.

Merry Christmas, cheers Peter.

Hello, I hope that you have had a good christmas and if you are anything like me hoping that some one does not shove a plate of food in your hand, I think I have eaten more in the last couple of days than I would normally eat in a month, mind you I have had a great time with the kids and grandkids.

Anyway some more nocturnal photos.

Class 150 DMU waits for the road.

post-5799-0-97950000-1293527543_thumb.jpg

Class 117 waits for custom on a Reading service.

post-5799-0-25622800-1293527639_thumb.jpg

The early shift at Leaford, the Managers car is already parked.

post-5799-0-05522300-1293527772_thumb.jpg

I hope that you like them.

Happy New Year.

Kevin

See you Thursday Paul.

• Like 4

Hi Kevin

Not replied for a while (a newborn sort of changes your focus) but these shots are totally awesome! Just the right amount of ambient light to make them look and feel very real indeed.

Oh yes, enjoyed seeing your recent mag article too.

Happy New year to you

Paul

Hello, I hope that you have had a good christmas and if you are anything like me hoping that some one does not shove a plate of food in your hand, I think I have eaten more in the last couple of days than I would normally eat in a month, mind you I have had a great time with the kids and grandkids.

Anyway some more nocturnal photos.

Class 150 DMU waits for the road.

post-5799-0-97950000-1293527543_thumb.jpg

Class 117 waits for custom on a Reading service.

post-5799-0-25622800-1293527639_thumb.jpg

The early shift at Leaford, the Managers car is already parked.

post-5799-0-05522300-1293527772_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin

Great Night Shots... LOVE IT DUDE...

Jamie

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL.....

I hope that you like them.

Happy New Year.

Kevin

See you Thursday Paul.

Hi Kevin,

Love your latest set of pictures, they look just right B)

Good work on the RM article Kevin, I have only just purchased a copy :unsure: like you said in the article about adding a third rail, I done the same with my layout Shaftesbury due to all that lovely third rail stock being produced ;)

Keep up the good work, look forward in seeing your layout at Basingstoke and Wilton.

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi Kevin,

Love your latest set of pictures, they look just right B)

Good work on the RM article Kevin, I have only just purchased a copy :unsure: like you said in the article about adding a third rail, I done the same with my layout Shaftesbury due to all that lovely third rail stock being produced ;)

Keep up the good work, look forward in seeing your layout at Basingstoke and Wilton.

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

My thanks for your comments Darren, and it will be good to meet at the forthcoming exhibitions and perhaps you would like to have a go if you have time.

post-5799-0-47684700-1293615549_thumb.jpg

Jaggzuk, (Paul)It is nice to hear from you again, and congratulations on the new born

7APT7, (Jamie) thanks for your comments I hope that you like these new photos as well.

Pitbull, (Scott) I just beginning to recover from the effects of Sprouts (ok to much information) as for the photos it is the trusty Kodak 813 that does all the work all I do is point and shoot. Honest!!

post-5799-0-15872900-1293616100_thumb.jpg

On another matter I have sought and gained permission from the lads at Model Rail to display the front cover of the very first stand alone edition of Model Rail magazine dating from (I think August or September) 1987 it started out as a 2 or 3 page addition to Rail Magazine (formerly Rail Enthusiast) One of the layouts featured was a layout of mine called Exford and I am sad to say that because I did not take pictures in those days this magazine and a literally a couple of others pickies are the only photos I have, I am wondering if there is anybody out there who may have taken pictures when Exford was on the exhibition circuit who would be prepared to contact me, perhaps a tall order after all of these years, needless to say I am proud that I have had a layout featured in the very first Model Rail and indeed the very latest – ok if only until edition 152 comes out.

post-5799-0-97205000-1293616230_thumb.jpg

Happy New Year

Kevin.

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

How is the signalling going. Done any more since I was last with you showing you the finer detail in RR&Co.

The fiddle yard looks good and the should add well to the running and variation of things on the layout.

Happy New Year and hopefully see you soon in 2011.

Regards

TTG (Andy Jack)

On another matter I have sought and gained permission from the lads at Model Rail to display the front cover of the very first stand alone edition of Model Rail magazine dating from (I think August or September) 1987 it started out as a 2 or 3 page addition to Rail Magazine (formerly Rail Enthusiast) One of the layouts featured was a layout of mine called Exford and I am sad to say that because I did not take pictures in those days this magazine and a literally a couple of others pickies are the only photos I have, I am wondering if there is anybody out there who may have taken pictures when Exford was on the exhibition circuit who would be prepared to contact me, perhaps a tall order after all of these years, needless to say I am proud that I have had a layout featured in the very first Model Rail and indeed the very latest – ok if only until edition 152 comes out.

I have that somewhere :)

I used to love ModelRAIL! The old supplements were superb and, I think, rather groudbreaking :)