Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Not strictly a bargain, but if anyone is looking for a Hornby R4387 Pullman Daffodil Bar, AC Models in Eastleigh have several in store. Marked as sold out on their website, they are £37 on the shelf. Best to ring the store direct rather than order over the web.

Have I missed it? I couldn't see anything on the site

The sale is on, it's just that it's not very good. Basically some scenery items and some skaledale. Railroad mk1s for £9.99 is the best I could find. Maybe they'll add more items later.

Sale items are all in the last chance to buy section of the website.

• RMweb Premium

The sale is on, it's just that it's not very good. Basically some scenery items and some skaledale. Railroad mk1s for £9.99 is the best I could find. Maybe they'll add more items later.

Sale items are all in the last chance to buy section of the website.

I'm a bit surprised they're so keen to sell off Railroad MK 1's in their "last chance" section.

I'd have though they would be a steady seller (once any initial surge is over) and would sell in due course at the full price.

• RMweb Premium

Just had an email to say my order has shipped; the email includes: "Campaign ID: 3".

Looks as if they're tracking who clicked through from the email announcing the sale.

It's not long ago that people were commenting that Model Railways Direct's bargains weren't much of a bargain any more...

I'm most impressed with Model Railways Direct - ordered after 3 pm on Thursday, large cardboard box delivered the next day. A credit both to them and the Royal Mail.

Given the way the numbers were ticking down on the web site, they must have been pretty busy packing stuff that afternoon!

If the idea behind the sale was to get rid of some slow moving stock and generate some good publicity, I'm happy to do my bit to help.

Just a word of caution - having previously ordered items that were delivered from both the USA and Canada, you will have a terrible shock when you see the Canadian postal rates, which are almost double those from the US...

• RMweb Premium

That MLV wiil have cost you not too much under £100 by the time it lands on your doormat in the UK!

Keith

OR you can get it here for £78.07 + free P&P

http://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Bachmann-31-266-Class-419-Motor-Luggage-Van--MLV--BR--SR--Green-With-Yellow-Panel-Bachmann-31-266.html?gclid=CMaK4vf4h8kCFQUOwwodh8EF5g

• RMweb Premium

Remember the value for import can also include the freight cost so you pay duty on the total value not just the cost of the item

According to HMRC, there is no longer any duty on goods below £135.

VAT applies above though £15, plus of course a handling charge.

And you have to pay VAT on duty, which has always seemed a rather strange idea to me. (Who added value to what by charging duty?)

• RMweb Premium

You still have to pay the Cost of the item + Shipping + RM handling charge + VAT on new imported goods which bumps the price up somewhat.

I think HMRC have become aware of new items being classed otherwise!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I had a rare Lego set sent from USA a few years ago. It cost about £140 and I was expecting to pay VAT+handling fee but nothing was charged. The vendor (a dealer, not private) had marked it as a gift on the Customs declaration (not requested by me). I don't know about second hand though. I did buy some s/h stuff from Canada and had to pay, but the vendor hadn't put anything other than 'model trains' (or similar) on the form so they were assumed to be new.   

• RMweb Premium

RM webbers need to club together and get a 'model railway mule'. He can pick up a loaded suitcase at the airport and bring it through customs.

I don't think I would want the smaller items if they have been carried in the traditional manner!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

As many have already realised via the enclosed Christmas Special Offer catalgue enclosed with the latest BRM if they are a subscriber, the Strathwood Christmas Sale has started see www.strathwood.co.uk for examples of the offers.

Big discounts on the Sixties Spotting Days series normally £19.95 each, but until 31st January 2016 any two for £29.95, any three for £39.95 or any five for £50 this also qualifies for another FREE £19.95 title from the selected list.

Also for anyone spending £50 or more in one go you can choose from over twenty £19.95 titles to be added to your order FREE of charge.

For those thinking about the Eighties Spotting Days series take all for for £59.95 and chose another £19.95 FREE book from the selection.

Be quick as some titles are low stocks as clear some space in the warehouse for a host of new titles due in 2016.

Kevin

Hi, i buy regularly from us, but talk direct to seller about carriage, and duty. If they are in ebay swim, as in uk, ebay state carriage, duty etc. Most times you can get it far cheaper. Just bought a loco, and pointed out to the guy that shipping was very high. Showed him what could be achieved, and he accepted my prices were fine. If its not new, then again, duty is the actual charge, not what ebay estimate it might be. I have been buying from us, for 14 years, and am very content with what i finish up paying. I do the same thing from the uk, as i live in france. We have a list of postal charges, and senders are quite happy, to accept them. When i have a repair, returned from Bachmann, no duty is charged, neither is it on spare parts no duty is  charged. We are too complacent about accepting these inflated costs, without challenge. john

Archived