Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Not railway related, but I must offer huge thanks for the ebay 20% code.

Combined with using £35 of Nectar points, just got a 1TB Xbox One for £204.99. That's got to beat any offers that will come over Christmas

jo

Saw the ebay terms referring to multiple purchases (via the basket) but did not note the code can only be used so missed out on a £10 discount on a Sentinel but did get £20 off a Farish 47. Theres also a 6x Nectar points offer today as well sent out via emails. Worth holding onto the Nectar points as mid Nov Sainsburys are swopping every 1000 points for a £10 non food voucher (twice the normal reward)

https://livewellforless.sainsburys.co.uk/nectar-rewards-christmas-double-up-terms-conditions/

Thanks for the link.  I went for a Heljan RF Construction 33 (33033) that i've wanted for some tome, so won't complain at a price of £79.20 inc post.

One thing though.  What's to stop me listing an item for £250 BIN.  Getting a friend to buy it.  They send me £250 but have paid £200.  I give them the £200 back.  I give ebay 10% + Paypal fees (maybe £35?)  This gives me £15 profit.  Not worth the hassle i'm sure but wouldn't that be a case of 'money for nothing'?!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the link.  I went for a Heljan RF Construction 33 (33033) that i've wanted for some tome, so won't complain at a price of £79.20 inc post.

One thing though.  What's to stop me listing an item for £250 BIN.  Getting a friend to buy it.  They send me £250 but have paid £200.  I give them the £200 back.  I give ebay 10% + Paypal fees (maybe £35?)  This gives me £15 profit.  Not worth the hassle i'm sure but wouldn't that be a case of 'money for nothing'?!

You'd need to be in dire straits to go to that trouble......

Hat, coat, gone.......

What's this about 6x Nectar points?

Thanks,

Saw the ebay terms referring to multiple purchases (via the basket) but did not note the code can only be used so missed out on a £10 discount on a Sentinel but did get £20 off a Farish 47. Theres also a 6x Nectar points offer today as well sent out via emails. Worth holding onto the Nectar points as mid Nov Sainsburys are swopping every 1000 points for a £10 non food voucher (twice the normal reward)
https://livewellforless.sainsburys.co.uk/nectar-rewards-christmas-double-up-terms-conditions/

Thanks,

If you've registered your Nectar card with ebay you get points on your purchases. Yesterday there was an offer where ebay were giving you 6x the normal level of points. (From memory the normal level of points is very low as it is only on the ebay fee element of the purchase price, but every little helps...) 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks,

I got the offer regarding 6x Nector points by e-mail from Ebay. It looked like an offer only for those who received the e-mail as you had to click a link in the e-mail to activate the offer.

I do seem to get offers quite regularly regarding extra nector points but only for my ebay account which is linked to nector 

If you've registered your Nectar card with ebay you get points on your purchases. Yesterday there was an offer where ebay were giving you 6x the normal level of points. (From memory the normal level of points is very low as it is only on the ebay fee element of the purchase price, but every little helps...)

The nectar points are given against the sale price of the item and ignores any ebay offer discount or postage.So the Farish 47 had the nectar points given against its listed price of £106.99 rather than the 20% off price I paid; 107 points plus 535 bonus points due to the offer that was running totalling 642. The Sentinel which I did not get 20% off gained a total of 300 points so with the forthcoming Sainsbury offer those, along with 58 existing nectar points, are worth £10.

• RMweb Premium

Aldi have a hand held battery LED light for £4.99

Ideal for when crawling under the baseboard with a hook and a magnet to fix it with.

It has a 5W chip LED and gives out 360 lumens which is VERY bright! (about the same as a 40W tungsten mains bulb but in a beam)

I don't think the AA batteries would last long, but it could be useful for short time use

They also have a Dyson DC30 portable vacuum on offer for £99.99 this coming Thursday (£70 less than Tesco etc.)

Keith

Can anyone enlighten me on the recent Ebay discount which I am reading about in some of the above posts?

I am registered with Ebay, PayPal and Nectar and my Ebay and Nectar accounts must be linked correctly (they must be as I get Nectar points on my Ebay purchases). I never received any notification from any of the three parties mentioned (I have checked spam and bins also!)

I'm just curious to know how those who used the discount code actually received it. And the burning question is do we know if this is likely to be a recurring offer or a straightforward 'one-off'?

• RMweb Gold

I never got anything about the ebay discount so was a bit worried about it now working but it did fine

The invoicing side of it was a bit strange and it looked like A discount hadn't been applied as the ebay page and mobile notification still showed the full sale amount but when you viewed the paypal invoice breakdown it showed the full amount less the applied discount, in my case £245 total, minus £47 discount, with the remainder coming out of the paypal balance and bank account as i didnt have £197 in paypal at the time

The nectar offer just appeared on the homepage, i never got an email about it just activated it from the ebay site, it was something to do with nectar and ebay being partners for 3 years

Can anyone enlighten me on the recent Ebay discount which I am reading about in some of the above posts?

I am registered with Ebay, PayPal and Nectar and my Ebay and Nectar accounts must be linked correctly (they must be as I get Nectar points on my Ebay purchases). I never received any notification from any of the three parties mentioned (I have checked spam and bins also!)

I'm just curious to know how those who used the discount code actually received it. And the burning question is do we know if this is likely to be a recurring offer or a straightforward 'one-off'?

They've done the offer twice recently. The first time it wasn't working properly but they honoured the offer and refunded the 20% to your PayPal account 10 days after the purchase was made. This time was better supposedly (I didn't use it this time). 

You had to enter a code in at the check out. Anything worth £20 or more got a 20% discount (not including postage, and up to a max discount of £50). I got notice of the offer from a MoneySupermarket email a few days in advance, then from TopCashback and from HotUKDeals on the day it went live. 

I discovered it through someone posting on the Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling Online Forum just after the offer period started. My non railway purchase, although it should make it easier to get on with some modelling,  is on its way.

The recent 20% offer from eBay was announced on their Facebook page with the code and that's where everyone else got it and shared it from. There were rumours it was coming though - I found out through the weekly moneysavingexpert.com email newsletter which is well worth signing up to for non-modelling related bargains!

• RMweb Premium

Just took delivery of an Atlas Editions Burlingham Seagull coach.  All that was needed immediately upon arrival was ticking 'no' and sending a cheque for the £1.99 P&P for it to ensure nothing else turns up, then throw all the packing and accompanying material in the recycling before placing aforementioned coach on layout station forecourt.  

Ebay wise I didn't realise the code was only valid once so had to pay full price for one (the more expensive) item dispite it appearing to work at the checkout stage.

Chased it up with customer service but was just told 'it's the rules' so there we go.

Also informed that they plan to run a few more similar offers before Xmas so keep yours eyes open - potentially one of the best offers to modellers - if you use it right!

Archived