Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Premium

So am I right in thinking Howes are binning pretty much all their model railway stuff bar the paint and a few bits?  Very sad news if true.

Very sad, unless anybody knows different, the nearest proper model railway shop to Oxford must now be the Cheltenham Model Centre.

• RMweb Premium

In short - yes !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Having ordered the last Bachmann 7F 53809, and a few other bits and bobs, I enquired as to the reason for Howes largely pulling out of model railways.

Another consequence of retirement, it seems, in that the manager of the model railway department has attained that happy status.

Unable to compete on price in many cases, retrenchment makes good business sense.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Just noticed that Hattons have the Bachmann E4s all reduced to £80. These include the LBSC version. Strange that they also list a second hand Southern liveried example at £5 more than the brand new ones in the offer. Methinks that left hand isn't talking to right hand somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Anybody notice that the Works have some cheap military tanks in just now. (Chinese manufacture of course)

Might be some use if you are doing a military diorama

A small Russian one is £2 and the larger ones of which there are several different vehicles are £10

EDIT: these are the larger ones:

http://www.theworks.co.uk/c/toys-games/die-cast-models

The small one is diecast, (It says zinc in Russian on the packaging which is all in Russian!) not sure about the material of the others (see link!)

The scale is not given but the small one is wider than an 00 train so might be 1:50

Keith

I'm not crying about the lack of a local model shop. Here in London we haven't really had one since the last Modelzone closed several years back. Let's face it, internet retail is now where it's at for model railways. These days I buy most of what I need online or at shows.

So... let's get on with our modelling lives and get back to this thread being about bargains! :D

Guy

A useful bargain for anyone into making paper/card buildings.

This solvent free UHU is the best thing I have found (recommended by scalescenes). It is strong, but being solvent free doesn't discolour the model like solvent-based glues and isn't too wet like PVA.

Given that a single one of these is £3.50 on the high street (where you can find them). 4 for £3.99 inc. free postage is an exceptional deal.

Ebay Stationers

No personal connection etc etc..

David

• RMweb Gold

I'm not crying about the lack of a local model shop. Here in London we haven't really had one since the last Modelzone closed several years back. Let's face it, internet retail is now where it's at for model railways. These days I buy most of what I need online or at shows.

So... let's get on with our modelling lives and get back to this thread being about bargains! :D

Guy

I would disagree. London has one of the best model shops around - Kent Garden Railways. It's not just G scale garden, it's everything. I love the place because I often discover hard to find stuff tucked away in a corner of the shop which I've been searching for everywhere. There's baskets of 'stuff' to rummage through (kits, accessories, etc.) and just floor to ceiling treasures. It's really what I remember a model shop to be when I was young. It is run by a great guy, with the help from a couple of his friends. Oh, and the prices are very good - regularly matching and beating internet prices. Very well worth a visit......(I have no business or family connections to the shop) Modelzone was always very poor, in my opinion.

If anyone wants Railroad closed vans, I was in Hamley's Cardiff earlier and saw them at £4 each, I believe Hornby have stopped them. I imagine it'll be the same in other stores.

The annoying thing is, I'm only here for a short trip. I live in Ashford, the Hamley's there is a stupid little store at the Designer Outlet, they never have anything suitable for model railways!

I would disagree. London has one of the best model shops around - Kent Garden Railways. It's not just G scale garden, it's everything. I love the place because I often discover hard to find stuff tucked away in a corner of the shop which I've been searching for everywhere. There's baskets of 'stuff' to rummage through (kits, accessories, etc.) and just floor to ceiling treasures. It's really what I remember a model shop to be when I was young. It is run by a great guy, with the help from a couple of his friends. Oh, and the prices are very good - regularly matching and beating internet prices. Very well worth a visit......(I have no business or family connections to the shop) Modelzone was always very poor, in my opinion.

A fine shop, but Orpington is most definitely not central London....

• RMweb Gold

A fine shop, but Orpington is most definitely not central London....

The post that haslam999 replied to did not mention central London, just London. Orpington is in the London Borough of Bromley, so by definition it is in London.

There is another excellent model shop in London, and it is not too far from KGR, and that is Invicta Model Rail, just up the road from Sidcup station. And prices there are reasonable, often matching those of various internet box-shifters.

I would disagree. London has one of the best model shops around - Kent Garden Railways. It's not just G scale garden, it's everything. 

Sorry, south of the river doesn't count as London! :D

Seriously though, I'm near Olympia on the edge of zone 1 and Orpington is STILL a 1.5 hour journey by either car or public transport. Getting to Howes would be quicker.

Anyway, enough of this off-topic nonsense! 

Guy

I'm in the same boat -I'm so suprised it didn't sell as well as I thought - it was the first item I ever pre ordered for fear of missing out!

• RMweb Premium

A useful bargain for anyone into making paper/card buildings.

This solvent free UHU is the best thing I have found (recommended by scalescenes). It is strong, but being solvent free doesn't discolour the model like solvent-based glues and isn't too wet like PVA.

Given that a single one of these is £3.50 on the high street (where you can find them). 4 for £3.99 inc. free postage is an exceptional deal.

Ebay Stationers

No personal connection etc etc..

David

Better hurry, only six left after I purchased just now. Nearly 900 to start off.

67006 Royal Sovereign

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/locomotives/diesel-electric-locomotives/dcc-ready-diesel-electric-locomotives/bo-bo-diesel-electric-royal-sovereign-class-67-royal-claret.html

Thank you big jim for the link,just purchased one,sale price also includes free postage.

best regards

Sultan

Update-Order cancelled by Hornby,informed 7 days later that item was not available due to to website computer problems.So disappointing.

Got an email from Bachmann USA which may be of benefit to someone

Now until midnight EDT November 1, 2015, ONLY, use the special code "MONSTER" to enjoy 20% off any Bachmann parts currently in stock when you place an order for a minimum of $50.00 (not including shipping, sales items, or web store products) directly from Bachmann's Parts Catalog on our website. 

• RMweb Gold

Archived