Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Gold

missed out in some bargains looking at what others have posted during the day, "damn you working nights!"

Probably a good thing really although im tempted by a short rake of mk2s to repaint into drs livery and that final dcr 31 is still a available

• RMweb Gold

Argh! Book Law (hopefully with reasonably straight running plate) for £77.50 and some bauxite wagons. Really shouldn't have, with "Bude" already in the post....oh, well, looks like selling some stuff on Ebay next week....

• RMweb Premium

It's a good point but just looking through a few of the items, I haven't come across a sale item where there are more than 2 items available.  It doesn't seem like they are loaded with individual items that they haven't been able to get rid of.

Looks as if they're clearing the "shelves" of the last few of various items in a fairly dramatic way.

It's not so obvious to me why that's necessary for an on-line shop - 6 web pages of items don't cost a lot more than 1, and since nothing has to go on display, a pile of 20 different boxes shouldn't take up much more space than 20 of the same thing. Maybe they have a stock-take coming up and having to count all those ones and twos of things is too much bother. Let's hope they've been keeping track of the numbers properly and nobody is going to find out that the last one they just bought didn't actually exist.

I do find it odd that Hornby seem to want to do the same with things like Mk 1 coaches that you'd think would be steady sellers. 

Bit convoluted.

If you go to the link it is £45 although showing "sale".

If you go to the "sale" section and then find it it is £22.50

IMHO not how to organise a website

Keith

Either they've all gone now, or I'm still not doing it right...

Bit convoluted.

If you go to the link it is £45 although showing "sale".

If you go to the "sale" section and then find it it is £22.50

IMHO not how to organise a website

Keith

Either they've all gone now, or I'm still not doing it right...

• RMweb Gold

missed out in some bargains looking at what others have posted during the day, "damn you working nights!"

Probably a good thing really although im tempted by a short rake of mk2s to repaint into drs livery and that final dcr 31 is still a available

I'd go and pick the 31 up Jim. If its like the real thing it won't know where its going and get lost!

Amazing - some good prices on the suburban coaches. I don't fully understand how markets work - but seems like desparation on someone's part.

Ray

If the stock was bought by Hawkins rather than being Hornby stock on concession it would be easier to explain. Say Hawkins had bought 20 of one item for £1600 (£80 each) and offered them for sale at £100 each. Once 16 have been sold they had covered their purchase cost, another 2 sold will give them £200 profit and even then if they flog off the last pair for £50 each that will be another £100 profit.

Hello BH

If the stock was bought by Hawkins rather than being Hornby stock on concession it would be easier to explain. Say Hawkins had bought 20 of one item for £1600 (£80 each) and offered them for sale at £100 each. Once 16 have been sold they had covered their purchase cost, another 2 sold will give them £200 profit and even then if they flog off the last pair for £50 each that will be another £100 profit.

It might just be that they are getting rid of 'returns'?

24065437790_0c9ee4c557_c.jpg
Hornby 42xx from the Last Chance Saloon

Regards

Ray

PS This one went back to Hornby
PPS I have a similar tale about a Grange from Locomotion on Black Friday - there were plenty of reasons why it was cheap.

Update 18.01.16  Hornby arranged collection free of charge and before receiving the returned item posted out a (good) replacement - well done Hornby

• RMweb Premium

Yes . Regretfully I have to say I gave into temptation and got GWR 2-8-0T . Last one. Too good to miss at £60. And I've just been texted to say it'll arrive tomorrow. I'm away but if it's correct , that's some service (post free)

Still can't believe I've managed to pick up a GWR Star for just £67.50 - aside from the cabside handrail that has actually been moulded as a shelf, it's a tremendous bit of kit, and that price is really a bit of a joke. Still, I was lucky enough to check this thread at the right time of day along with many other RMwebbers - and most things seem to have been cleared out by this evening. 

Not sure if this is a good omen for Hawkins Bazaar however - The Modeller.com used to have these fire sales every 6 months or so, which were all well and good, until they shut up shop last July IIRC...

CoY

Still can't believe I've managed to pick up a GWR Star for just £67.50 - aside from the cabside handrail that has actually been moulded as a shelf, it's a tremendous bit of kit, and that price is really a bit of a joke.

CoY

Can really go right off some people. ;-)

• RMweb Premium

Yes . Regretfully I have to say I gave into temptation and got GWR 2-8-0T . Last one. Too good to miss at £60. And I've just been texted to say it'll arrive tomorrow. I'm away but if it's correct , that's some service (post free)

Thanks! I was considering giving in to temptation on that one but you saved me from myself...

• RMweb Premium

Still can't believe I've managed to pick up a GWR Star for just £67.50 - aside from the cabside handrail that has actually been moulded as a shelf, it's a tremendous bit of kit, and that price is really a bit of a joke. Still, I was lucky enough to check this thread at the right time of day along with many other RMwebbers - and most things seem to have been cleared out by this evening. 

Not sure if this is a good omen for Hawkins Bazaar however - The Modeller.com used to have these fire sales every 6 months or so, which were all well and good, until they shut up shop last July IIRC...

CoY

Well Hawkins Bazaar did go into administration a few years ago. 

I think they probably run on a rather different business model to model shops anyway. Hornby isn't exactly one of their main suppliers.

EEEESH £27 for Wrexham & Shropshire MK3 DVT at Hawkins! I thought I had a bargain at £38 from Kernow about a week ago. Such as it goes.

Hattons are selling Heljan CL17 chassis (in green for the Ribble Cement version) for £40. They did have 10 in stock, 9 now!

Cheers Trailrage

I think this could be about realistic.

Re Hawkins Bazaar:

Yesterday I was one of the lucky ones to snap up a Bargain Colas 56 with sound for 125 quid, payment made & order confirmed

Today i received this:

Thank you for placing your order on our website!

Unfortunately, due to a system glitch the item - the Colas Rail Freight Co-Co Diesel Class 56 with DCC Sound you've ordered is no longer in stock and unfortunately we have no more on order, due to this we have cancelled this item off of your order and refunded you for this.

We're really sorry for our error and for any inconvenience this may cause you.

• RMweb Gold

Re Hawkins Bazaar:

Yesterday I was one of the lucky ones to snap up a Bargain Colas 56 with sound for 125 quid, payment made & order confirmed

Today i received this:

Thank you for placing your order on our website!

Unfortunately, due to a system glitch the item - the Colas Rail Freight Co-Co Diesel Class 56 with DCC Sound you've ordered is no longer in stock and unfortunately we have no more on order, due to this we have cancelled this item off of your order and refunded you for this.

We're really sorry for our error and for any inconvenience this may cause you.

oh dear, wonder if anyone else will get a similar email today?

Archived