Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Well, all I'll say is that my intention was but far from to rub people up the wrong way, I can only think that those folk are perhaps frustrated they didn't get it however, as I've said, I'd went to order two and got notified that only one was available however, more are on order. That's subsequently been revised as per a latter post.

Sometimes it's best to say something with good intentions than say nothing at all.

• RMweb Premium

37403 - I'm on your side mate. I don't bother posting anything on here about any bargains I see (or better still obtain) anymore because I'm sick of people full of their own self importance replying with condescending comments. Keep your bargains to yourself and enjoy them. I think its just jealousy on the part of some if you have got the bargain and they haven't. Good luck to you mate! Even if something is sold out there are often links (or backward links) to other bargains/reductions on that website so any comments can be useful. It's a pity some respondents don't realise that! Sadly, many other users of this site, and this thread in particular, do anything they can to 'put down' others and its getting worse and is completely unnecessary.

Fantastic attitude, so why bother visiting this part of the forum, seems you are quite happy to take but not to share!

When I first started this thread back in 2009, the intention was, as it was on the previous RMWeb, for people to inform others of bargains seen on any of the model railway websites, shops and other items that may be of use to the modeller. For this to be any use, it has to be current and available to others, no point posting for example, Hattons had a sale on - 25% off everything, when the sale has just finished!

One off purchases at a 'bargain price' from auction sites and such like shouldn't be posted as can be seen by some as a pure gloating post!

If someone purchases from their local shop ands gets a good discount for being a mate/ regular customer - brilliant but don't post it unless it's available to the next random punter.

Obviously most posts here are done in the best intent and with as with everything in retail, stock levels and prices will fluctuate, take for example the recent post about the Hawkins Bizarre sale, if you came in on that after about 24 hrs (if that :D ) the place had been stripped bare by the RMWeb whirlwind!

Anyway back to those bargains, thanks to all those that have shared and hopefully we'll all continue to do so!

As I started this little s**t storm, I'll finish it too.

If you read the original post it just looks like a smug git boasting that he got the last bargain in the shop which is definitely not in keeping with the forum spirit.

If there was an opportunity for others to benefit then that was NOT made clear in the post and we're not all Sherlock Holmes.

If the original poster was offended by my posting; tough.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but it's all I've got.

END.

As I started this little s**t storm, I'll finish it too.

If you read the original post it just looks like a smug git boasting that he got the last bargain in the shop which is definitely not in keeping with the forum spirit.

If there was an opportunity for others to benefit then that was NOT made clear in the post and we're not all Sherlock Holmes.

If the original poster was offended by my posting; tough.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, but it's all I've got.

END.

It is worth bearing in mind that there were a few posters during the mid afternoon raid on Hawkins Bazaar (that I was sadly at work for) that were basically posting exactly as per 37403's post, so there are certainly others that do it (including established members and regular posters to this thread).

I think it's fairly obvious the point of this thread is to help each other out. I do feel the post that has caused all this did come across as smug rather than helpful, but it's difficult to judge context on an Internet forum.

Either way I think we should get back on track rather than risking getting an otherwise excellent thread locked.

(For the record before anyone accuses me of jealousy at a deal missed I already have 3 Hornby Class 60s and no need or desire for another one.)

• RMweb Gold

Rails of Sheffield still have DB DVT's in stock at £34.50

https://railsofsheffield.com/db-schenker-mk3-dvt-82146-JJJA27285.aspx

if this has directional lighting, then surely has to be a bargain especially if you want a donor to respray in NR yellow?

Cheers for that. I'd actually been watching it since the weekend, but your post prompted me to buy before they sold out.

I haven't yet decided whether it's going to be Yellow or the start of an AGA set - But I couldn't justify going for two!

:)

• RMweb Premium

Parkside stuff is usually OK but I bought one of these last time round and what a pile of junk it turned out to be. It's currently in my bin awaiting disposal. I now have an Aoyue which is so much better.

Gra

What was the problem with it?

Keith

Parkside stuff is usually OK but I bought one of these last time round and what a pile of junk it turned out to be. It's currently in my bin awaiting disposal. I now have an Aoyue which is so much better.

Gra

I've been using mine on a regular basis for well over a year, including all this afternoon, and it is by far the best soldering station that I've ever had.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

What was the problem with it?

Keith

I bought it for soldering the droppers to the bottom of my tack but I just ended up melting the sleepers. The tip just didn't seem to hold enough heat to make a good join.

I've been using mine on a regular basis for well over a year, including all this afternoon, and it is by far the best soldering station that I've ever had.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You and Keith are probably much better at soldering than me, John. I just made a mess with the Lidl iron. With the Aoyue station I have been able to produce professional  looking results that have really surprised me. I will be laying a lot of track so the £50 cost of the Aoyue is in my view, money well spent. Whereas in my case the Lidl iron was a waste of money.

Gra

Gra

I hope not as I've just bought one, being fed up with my Antex 30W which struggles to solder wire to rail. (They were fine at work!??) I'll report back when I've tried it.

Maybe it's been posted before, but Wilko have loose screws, nuts etc. on a 'fill a bag for £1.99' basis. (or a larger bag for £2.99). Included are 'penny washers' which can be used for weighting rolling stock. One bag will do lots of wagons!

They also do the same with their Lego type building bricks (a large tub for £3 IIRC) - keep the kids quiet or they can be used around the layout for structures e.g. bridge abutments, then covered with a finishing layer of brick or stone paper or plastic.

Removing bodies is a common topic and the usual tip is to use plasticard or credit cards to hold the clips and bodyshell apart. I was in the post office recently and picked up some Health Lottery "Quick pick" cards which are thinner and therefore more flexible than credit cards and free!

Wooden coffee stirrers make reasonable paint stirrers but wooden chip forks, split lengthways, are stiffer and have a handy prong for getting into the corners of small plant tins.

Paint a cereal box black and write TAXI in orange letters on it and stick it on your car roof. Now, whenever you need a a cab, there'll be one sat on your driveway.

I hope not as I've just bought one, being fed up with my Antex 30W which struggles to solder wire to rail. (They were fine at work!??) I'll report back when I've tried it.

Maybe it's been posted before, but Wilko have loose screws, nuts etc. on a 'fill a bag for £1.99' basis. (or a larger bag for £2.99). Included are 'penny washers' which can be used for weighting rolling stock. One bag will do lots of wagons!

They also do the same with their Lego type building bricks (a large tub for £3 IIRC) - keep the kids quiet or they can be used around the layout for structures e.g. bridge abutments, then covered with a finishing layer of brick or stone paper or plastic.

I use a Antex 25watt version on Nickel Silver Rail without problems , I use normal multicore solder.

• RMweb Premium

Re soldering irons:

I use an ancient Adcola 25W for soldering droppers to Nickel Silver rail and it works fine. it fits betwen sleepers on Peco HO/OO track

As long as the bit has a flat angle on the end and is more than 3mm across it should work fine. Round ends are IMHO useless for this job.

BTW I use lead/tin multicore as I reckon it's better than this lead free stuff and no it's not illegal!

(Buy from Rapidonline)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

ALDI are doing a 15 piece paintbrush set for £9.99.

These are decorating type paintbrushes and not modelling, but for anyone planning painting larger areas of scenery, backboards, baseboards etc. Quite a good selection of the smaller sizes -  4 x 1/2", 4 x 1", 3 x 1 1/4" , 3 x 2" and 1 x 3" included.

Cheers,

Mick

I use a Antex 25watt version on Nickel Silver Rail without problems , I use normal multicore solder.

Indeed it should work but just doesn't seem to transfer enough heat. As I said before, the ones we used at work were fine - that's why I bought it. Maybe it's a duff bit. We did have a batch of duds, but AFAIK they were pattern parts not the genuine article.

First trials with the Lidl station were highly satisfactory. Next I must try something a bit bigger and tougher than resoldering pickup wires on loco chassis...

It comes with two bits (pointed and spade) plus two small reels of proper tin/lead solder and the temperature can be regulated right down to 100 degrees for low melt solder. A bargain at £8.99 with three years guarantee. Spare bits are stated available from Lidl customer service. These screw in so it is good practice to loosen them from time to time to avoid them seizing into the iron.

bargains? In this day and age?

When I were a lad, a bargain was being allowed to buy a Triang locomotive at any price. Aye, we'd go up to Hattons. Uphill. Both ways. An'we'd coe home with our Smokey Joe. In a box. We'd live in that box for weeks after...

Spare bits are stated available from Lidl customer service. These screw in so it is good practice to loosen them from time to time to avoid them seizing into the iron.

I'd go further than that !

As with every soldering iron that I've ever bought, the bits seize in the element.

Every time this happens, I swear that I'll remove the bit after every use - but I don't, because it's hot !!

I read once that one can buy heat-resistant grease; has anyone tried this?

Failing that, I'll buy two or three Lidl soldering stations and install a different bit in each - they're cheap enough !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I'd go further than that !

As with every soldering iron that I've ever bought, the bits seize in the element.

Every time this happens, I swear that I'll remove the bit after every use - but I don't, because it's hot !!

I read once that one can buy heat-resistant grease; has anyone tried this?

Failing that, I'll buy two or three Lidl soldering stations and install a different bit in each - they're cheap enough !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Coincidentally, I bought a new Weller 15w iron today, because the bit in the old one was worn out and I couldn't undo the securing screw, to replace it.  I actually read the instructions that came with the new one!  They include the advice:  "After each usage allow iron to cool and loosen tip for storage purposes.  A thin coating of graphite type lubricant on the screw threads will aid in preventing the tip from freezing".  Did I do that?  No (I haven't got any graphite type lubricant, anyway)!

• RMweb Premium

Coincidentally, I bought a new Weller 15w iron today, because the bit in the old one was worn out and I couldn't undo the securing screw, to replace it.  I actually read the instructions that came with the new one!  They include the advice:  "After each usage allow iron to cool and loosen tip for storage purposes.  A thin coating of graphite type lubricant on the screw threads will aid in preventing the tip from freezing".  Did I do that?  No (I haven't got any graphite type lubricant, anyway)!

Use a pencil.

Archived