Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

I'm also against separate threads please. I've benefitted from being able to look in one place, probably the most popular place for this sort of thing on the Internet, and trusting there will be postings from many different people from different areas with varied interests about all sorts of modelling related bargains, all manufacturers, steam, diesel, tools, display cabinets you name it, including a lot of Bachmann, Hornby, whoever. Why should I have to look away from this thread when so many people go to the trouble to be helpful to us all?

I popped over to have a look at this "other" thread and it's been locked, so normal service has been resumed. I don't care whether it's an Aldi hammer drill or a Bachmann loco, this is the logical place to make others aware of a potential saving. It takes me about a minute a day to check this "Bargain Hunters" thread. I think I can afford the time...! Coincidentally, the BVR shop in Aylsham is my local shop and I would thoroughly recommend it (support your local shop etc), but I am indebted to those that take the trouble to post here. I've made a couple of purchases as a direct result of this thread and it does make the modelling budget go further. Every little helps, as they say. Carry on.

• RMweb Gold

Did someone mention hammer drills? 

Lidl have a 500W hammer drill on offer on Monday for £14.99 - sounds like a bargain to me!  They also have an extensive range of reasonably priced lighting units on Thursday 14th.  Happy (bargain) hunting.

Hoping this will get this thread back on track?

​I'll get my coat!

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

Did someone mention hammer drills?

Lidl have a 500W hammer drill on offer on Monday for £14.99 - sounds like a bargain to me! They also have an extensive range of reasonably priced lighting units on Thursday 14th. Happy (bargain) hunting.

Hoping this will get this thread back on track?

​I'll get my coat!

Stephen

Yes it was me, but can trump that Aldi £6.99 800W with excellent slow speed, already used it. They had about a dozen in Fishponds Bristol last week. It's virtually identical to a cheapo B&Q job I've had for a few years costing four times the price.

Thread back on track!

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Yes it was me, but can trump that Aldi £6.99 800W with excellent slow speed, already used it. They had about a dozen in Fishponds Bristol last week. It's virtually identical to a cheapo B&Q job I've had for a few years costing four times the price.

Thread back on track!

Neil

I don't want to shout about it, but "that really is a bargain"!

​And worthy of inclusion in this thread  :-)

Courtesy of an unwanted Secret Santa gift that my wife received, I got given a 4 way nail buffing block. It's a piece of foam with a different grade of abrasive on each side.

I've looked on a well know auction website and packs of these blocks are widely available (e.g £0.99 for 5 blocks, free shipping from Hong Kong, UK sellers too but a little more expensive) - search for "4 way buffer"

I've just removed some roof detail from a Bachmann class 47 and because the abrasive sheets don't go right to the edge of the block, the upstanding beading detail doesn't get rubbed; very useful.

• RMweb Premium

Dapol's January specials for us N gaugers include BR blue Class 26's for sixty notes (eighty if you dabble in the dark arts and want them DCC fitted) and ten quid livery error MkIII coaches ideal for repainting or modding.

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/special

Be quick on those 26's, the last time they were offered they were hoovered up very quickly!!

Not sure what Dapol charge for P&P though.

I have made one of the static grass applicators with a Maplin's Fly Swat and a tea strainer. I have added a lid by using one of the popular chewing gum pots,

I cut the pot just below the screw section of bottom part of the pot:-

attachicon.gifHome Made Static Grass Applicator 2.jpg

Then the top part of the pot can be taken on and off as required. You also have a lid on the pot so you don't have to remove it when refilling:-

attachicon.gifHome Made Static Grass Applicator.jpg

The actual pot can be very useful for holding ballast and the small lid is just the right width for laying ballast between the rails!

attachicon.gifHome Made Static Grass Applicator Lid.jpg

Peter

Those electric fly swatters are apparently banned in Australia after hospitals received many casualties (usually drunk) who had stuck their tongues on the mesh for a dare or bet...... (Only in Australia, eh??)

If one wants to have the effect of buttercups on one's newly laid "grass" simply capture a pollen laiden bumblebee and let it crawl over the grassed area. The effect is extremely realistic and lasts for years. (You don't have to pay the bee for the work either!!). 

Discovered at my then local model railway club one summer's evening in the 1980's when a bumblebee landed on the exhibition branchline terminus and proceeded to crawl all over the grassed banking leaving a nice trail of "buttercups" in its wake. Let's just say that it had an audience of several club members gathered as it went about its scenic activities.

The effect was commented on at several exhibitions and the method was kept a secret.....

• RMweb Premium

Sale on at the LT museum online shop

Mark I & II Coaching Stock book is half price

http://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/gifts-and-souvenirs/sale/books/product/br-mark-1-mark-2-coaching-stock.html

Many thanks for the tip off. I couldn't justify buying it at full price, but ordered one at half price. Hope it helps with my Glasgow - Edinburgh push pull set (class 27 hauled).

Dapol's January specials for us N gaugers include BR blue Class 26's for sixty notes (eighty if you dabble in the dark arts and want them DCC fitted) and ten quid livery error MkIII coaches ideal for repainting or modding.

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=product/special

Be quick on those 26's, the last time they were offered they were hoovered up very quickly!!

Not sure what Dapol charge for P&P though.

Thanks for the tip. P&P is £3.99 by the way; two are on the way as a first step to modelling this:

http://www.trackbasher-photos.co.uk/1989/i-6L3vwwq/A

• RMweb Premium

I clicked on the SALE icon and it was still half price.

Bit convoluted.

If you go to the link it is £45 although showing "sale".

If you go to the "sale" section and then find it it is £22.50

IMHO not how to organise a website

Keith

On investigation, it seems that this item is not available in Scotland, at least not in the major stores in Glasgow. Perhaps the SNP have banned it.....

Sorry, this refers to the Poundland Exercise Mat referred to further above! Comment remains the same!

Got one of these today.

Perfect for picking up and positioning those small black screws under Bachmann diesel locos.

Thanks for the info.

OR Using a strong magnet - ex old hard drive etc - rub the tip of the screwdriver back and fore a number of times on it to magnetize it, NO more lost screws ! picks them up and holds onto them till you position them.  Simples !!

Archived