Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Hi Peter

You are lucky to find a retailer.

I know one retailer who sells Hornby returns but these are fully repaired/refurbished and as new, although the boxes may be slightly less than new. I've had several, no complaints. 

I have 'fettled' a number of 'new' Bachmann and Hornby locomotives.  You need lots of time and lots of patience - not to mention the cost of replacement parts.  You are certainly lucky to find a retailer who can afford to do all of that.

Regards

Ray

I was in Hawkins Bazarr in Telford earlier and they are selling the Hornby Western digital eLink trainset for £89.99. Might be of use to somebody as that seems a good deal. Just had a very quick look on the website which didn't bring back anything so it may be an in-store only thing.

£3 dearer on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BUKPXS8?qid=1450994677&ref_=sr_1_12&s=toys&sr=1-12

Thanks for that link. I particularly like the weathered blue Class 24, RDB968007, also at £69.99. Although limited to a timeline of approx. 1976-1979 when it got the red panel.

http://www.invictamodelrail.com/bargain-Bachmann-limited-edition-class-24-weathered-rtc-blue-livery-5606-p.asp

As nice as the SLW 24 is, a saving of £100 on the basic SLW price is not to be sniffed at. I've never thougt there was much wrong with the Bachmann 24/25.

Apparently it has the wrong body detailing on D5000 according to a reply to my post on another forum. The first few 24's differed from the rest. I don't know if the blue 24 has the same problem.The link below may enlighten you.

http://www.modellersunited.co.uk/the-br-sulzer-type-twos-detail-differences-for-modellers-t151.html

By the way, what does SLW mean. Forgive my ignorance as I just returned to railway modelling only a couple of years ago.

I was in Hawkins Bazarr in Telford earlier and they are selling the Hornby Western digital eLink trainset for £89.99. Might be of use to somebody as that seems a good deal. Just had a very quick look on the website which didn't bring back anything so it may be an in-store only thing.

Cheers

Tash.

Same price Argos Online http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2328694.htm

• RMweb Premium

Apologies everybody, perhaps not such a good deal then. I did compare against Hattons at £120 with Hornby and Kernow showing £159.99 so seemed a bargain but should have done a wider search.

Tash.

You still get an E-link setup and some rolling stock for £90 (inc. track etc.)

Elink and Railmaster are £85 RRP!

Cheapish way into DCC.

Keith

Apologies everybody, perhaps not such a good deal then. I did compare against Hattons at £120 with Hornby and Kernow showing £159.99 so seemed a bargain but should have done a wider search.

Tash.

No need to apologise. It is a good deal compared to Kernow and Hattons. It just happens that another store is matching the good deal as well (and I'm sure that's all the poster that replied was pointing out).

I have started a new thread on the Bachmann part of the forum (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/5-Bachmann) entitled "Bachmann and the Discounters 2016" for people to discuss the best places to obtain Bachmann (and ONLY Bachmann) model railway items during 2016 at a substantial discount. I hope those of you that buy Bachmann items in 2016 will add to these discussions and pass on your findings of good discounts, so that as many people as possible can save money on Bachmann products.

At the end of 2016, I will ask the moderators to consider closing the thread and starting another provided there has been good support.

• RMweb Gold

Cant see the point of the other thread really as we have this thread for all sorts of bargains and a most of people visit here when new posts are showing as being added, (even though we do get a bit of thread drift now and again)

As is being discussed elsewhere - in my opinion not a good idea.  We all know (or should know by now) who offers discounts and who has old stock at silly prices.  Retailers would seem to move their prices around from week to week depending on stock levels and manufacturers discounts.  The Bargain Hunter's thread is great as it alerts us all to immediate bargains - and as such I have found it very useful.

Ray

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of going OT - another vote for NOT having a separate Bachmann bargains thread. Otherwise we'll need a number of Dapol/Hornby/Heljan/etc bargain threads. I'd rather they were all here than having to look through different manufacturer threads.

Have there actually been many Bachmann bargains anyway in the last 12 months?

Cheers,

Mick

At the risk of going OT - another vote for NOT having a separate Bachmann bargains thread. Otherwise we'll need a number of Dapol/Hornby/Heljan/etc bargain threads. I'd rather they were all here than having to look through different manufacturer threads.

Have there actually been many Bachmann bargains anyway in the last 12 months?

Cheers,

Mick

Depends on YOUR definition of a Bachmann bargain.

My thread is about DISCOUNTS and the best places on the internet to look in order to aid fellow modellers in getting the best value for their hard earned cash when buying Bachmann products.

• RMweb Premium

Depends on YOUR definition of a Bachmann bargain.

My thread is about DISCOUNTS and the best places on the internet to look in order to aid fellow modellers in getting the best value for their hard earned cash when buying Bachmann products.

A good discount usually represents a bargain to me .. If that's the case, then I'll post it here.  

Many times, I've bought discounted items simply because of a posting here in this thread - if I had to look through different manufacturers threads, then that's going to be a PITA.

Although having said that, there are many reported bargains/discounts in other manufacturers threads under the relevant item - for example, the Hornby Sentinel. If I'm interested in a particular model to buy, then I'll be following that thread with interest.

If you find a good general discounter, then recommend it in the relevant shops thread. (I've done so many times, when shops offer good service and/or price)

There is already a Bure Valley Models recommendation in the shops guide anyway - maybe you need to go there and post?

Cheers,

Mick

Archived