Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Premium

While Amazon's pricing strategies certainly aren't obvious, when something is out of stock they normally just say so. (And take advance orders if appropriate).

You can buy the "last one in stock" for £X and immediately some more appear priced at £Y

I've done that more than once.

I assume there is an algorithm that the computer uses to decide selling price against supply price and demand on a continuous basis

Keith

• RMweb Premium

You can buy the "last one in stock" for £X and immediately some more appear priced at £Y

I've done that more than once.

I assume there is an algorithm that the computer uses to decide selling price against supply price and demand on a continuous basis

Keith

Indeed. And while it can leads to bargains, it can be ***** frustrating.

I much prefer the approach of a well known model shop (whose advert I see at the bottom of the page as I type) that has the confidence to actually put their bargain prices into printed adverts and catalogues and whose bargain prices once announced generally stay put until they're out of stock.

They spoil it a bit by sometimes offering second hand goods at more than they are selling the new ones for though.

• RMweb Gold

That matches with my experience. They certainly didn't leave it somewhere safe.

Taking the bins out tonight I could just make out something in the dark propped against SWMBO's car. Turned out to be my box full of Hornby goodies that very very nearly spent the night out under the stars.

No card through the door or anything like that.

Now last night doing the bins I was stomping down all the cardboard boxes when I heard a little tinkle.

Scrabbling around on the ground I found a little brass nameplate saying 'Rood Ashton Hall'. Sad thing is I'd given the loco a once over to see if there was anything missing other than the guard iron and sand pipe that were floating around in the box.

Can't wait to see what I find when I do the bins tonight...

A friend pointed me to this forum when the HB stuff was on so I nabbed some rolling stock. Just checked the page again on the off chance and spotted that a bit more has been added, including a couple more locos (R3296X Burton for £30 and R3243 K1 for £65). Just wanted to pass on the word like it was for me: http://www.hawkin.com/Hornby-sale

• RMweb Gold

not much railway stuff left in hawkins after we collectively wiped them out last week but the 3 pack of blue grey mk3s works out at £38 with that code which seems quite good value, (Hornby have them at £49.99 in last chance to buy) the only thing is its free shipping over £40 at hawkins so applying the discount on that particular item takes it below the threshold but without 'checking out' i can't see if it will add postage to it which is £2.50

• RMweb Premium

not much railway stuff left in hawkins after we collectively wiped them out last week but the 3 pack of blue grey mk3s works out at £38 with that code which seems quite good value, (Hornby have them at £49.99 in last chance to buy) the only thing is its free shipping over £40 at hawkins so applying the discount on that particular item takes it below the threshold but without 'checking out' i can't see if it will add postage to it which is £2.50

They do offer a free "click-and-collect" service so for anyone within striking distance of a Hawkin's Bazaar it might save some money.

Wish I'd seen that in the big offer last week - there's the odd thing I probably would have picked up if it wasn't for the postage.

(Edited because I can't spell Bazzar)

• RMweb Premium

All seem to be 1 or 2 left each.

I wonder if this is what they found they had left after the dust settled last time?

Maybe some of these are ones where they had to refund an order because they couldn't find them even though the computer said they were in stock...and now they've turned up?

A friend pointed me to this forum when the HB stuff was on so I nabbed some rolling stock. Just checked the page again on the off chance and spotted that a bit more has been added, including a couple more locos (R3296X Burton for £30 and R3243 K1 for £65).

The locos aren't there now!  They are showing the LMS Horse Box, R6678 or R6678A, for £10, though.

Oops, just looked again and there's only the R6678A left.  I must have had the only R6678 - looks like they really are trying to shift a last few left-overs.

• RMweb Gold

Can't wait to see what I find when I do the bins tonight...

Nothing that night, but bringing the recycling box back this evening there was a parcel from Hawkins. Again no card. Again a bit of the loco floating about in the outer box.

I am less than impressed both with UK Mail and the ability of Hornby's new packaging to contain broken bits.

• RMweb Gold

Tenner off orders over £50 at Amazon today (22nd Jan) only (presumably not marketplace sellers).

Something to do with them being great or something...

Enter BIGTHANKS at checkout

Cheers

Rob

Tenner off orders over £50 at Amazon today (22nd Jan) only (presumably not marketplace sellers).

Something to do with them being great or something...

Enter BIGTHANKS at checkout

Cheers

Rob

Thanks - just bought Master of the Glens train set for £67

Thanks - just bought Master of the Glens train set for £67

So have I - what a bargain. Fancied a P2 since it was announced. The teak gresleys will become engineers mess coaches / grounded bodies with Gresley bogies going under a home made diesel brake tender.

Thanks for heads up with both the promotion code & that it works.

Brit15

In my inbox last night, Kernow's sale includes Hornby R3242 K1's for £89.99 - these beasties have not seen much discounting (other than the one from the Hornby shop with the 'orrid orange weathering) , so was glad to finally be able to grab one.

• RMweb Gold

In my inbox last night, Kernow's sale includes Hornby R3242 K1's for £89.99 - these beasties have not seen much discounting (other than the one from the Hornby shop with the 'orrid orange weathering) , so was glad to finally be able to grab one.

also there is 

Hornby R3208 Class V Schools 4-4-0 30915 "Brighton" in BR Black with early emblem

for £79.99.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/43631/R3208-Hornby-Schools-Class-4-4-0-Steam-Locomotive-number-30915

a whopping sixty quid off RRP.

looks very nice too!

cheers,

Keith

Archived