If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

I can only say that I have had no problems at all with the small drills - in fact I managed to break my first 0.3mm one last week, by dropping the Dremel which broke the bit

The set doesn't included any 0.3mm drills :unsure: . Pretty sure the Am Tech sets are carbon and you can spend ages trying to get though opening out NS holes with them (I have a box here on my desk). The German packs I mentioned are definitely HSS and cut straight though.

I agree the Chinese ones may not be quite as good depending on which packs you buy from that supplier but they've lasted as well so far..

They come in nice containers too Stephen, bargain all round ;).

The set doesn't included any 0.3mm drills :unsure: . Pretty sure the Am Tech sets are carbon and you can spend ages trying to get though opening out NS holes with them (I have a box here on my desk). The German packs I mentioned are definitely HSS and cut straight though.

I agree the Chinese ones may not be quite as good depending on which packs you buy from that supplier but they've lasted as well so far..

They come in nice containers too Stephen, bargain all round ;).

Yes the Am Tech 150 piece set are carbon steel, very definitely, and are from .4mm not .3mm.

Only for reference but there is nothing wrong with carbon steel, it is poorly made carbon steel drills that are the issue.

A carbon steel drill is as hard, or can be harder than an HSS drill, it is only heat that gets at carbon steel as they cut, and most uses by modellers will cause no heating at all.

HSS are better made in practice, it does not however mean they are always better made, but usually they are!!!

I still use the Am Tech type for general work, wood, plastic, and brass, with HSS for lathe work or in a Dremel tool, where heating can occur in drilling steel.

Stephen.

The Works (Weston-super-Mare) has:-

International Train-Ferry Wagons in Colour by David Ratcliffe for £1.99 (£16.99)

Rail freight since 1968 Wagonload by Paul Shannon for £1.99 (£17.99)

Modellers guide to the Great Western Railway from Silver Link £1.99 ( £18.99)

also another Silver Link publication on layout construction for £1.99

cheers

Noticed on Ebay a few days back, some seller had a pack of 4 bachman 36-553 3 function bemf. decoders for auction. I was interested in these as ok for steam outline, having quite a number of them, and satisfied. Watched bid price climb up. Checked retailers and many seemed to have sold out of stock, many were asking up to £14/15 plus post. I suspected , quite wrongly, that there may have been a supply prob. re Bachman. I emailed Hattons to see if they had stock, having bought 3 from them last January, their reply was 'yes plenty at £9.00 + £2.00 post'. So I ordered 3 over the phone and they arrived next morning. The price on Ebay went to £46.08 + £3.50 post, Wonder when they let the buyer 'out'. crazy !!!!!, small consolation was seller said he would accept returns, I prefer the manufacturers/retailers normal warranty. 'No Brainer' in my book. Beeman.

Noticed on Ebay a few days back, some seller had a pack of 4 bachman 36-553 3 function bemf

The price on Ebay went to £46.08 + £3.50 post, Wonder when they let the buyer 'out'. crazy

Bachmanns list price for them is £15.95 each so the buyer still got them cheap (4=£63.80), just not as cheap as they could.

Bachmanns list price for them is £15.95 each so the buyer still got them cheap (4=£63.80), just not as cheap as they could.

So were you the buyer thinking you got a good deal, :angry: or the seller rubbing your hands at the profit after buying from Hattons ?. :laugh: seriously though, It shows that one needs to 'shop'around', also if Hattons are satisfied at their margins, what price do Bachman get them made in quantity runs for. It demonstrates the difference in factory prices and retail prices after the middlemen and greedy markups are added to the price, and I do not just refer to the requirements of our hobby.Beeman.

No and no, and as this is "Bargain Hunters" thread maybe it ought to be simply limited to Hattons flogging 36-553s for nine quid each and a quick google shows Model Railways Direct selling them for 5p less. On the otherhand a large number of well known traders are asking the Bachmann list price for them. Hattons and others pricing have been the subject of many threads with claims of larger than normal trade discounts and/or making a profit of only a few pence - only them and Bachmann know the truth.

Like the supermarkets, they rely on volume to make up the profits rather than selling relatively few items with much larger mark-ups. You have to admit, though, that Hattons have generally proved to be very reliable - very few people seem to have had any sort of bad experience with them, and even when they have, Hattons have rectified thinsg at their own expense (there are many other equally reliable model shops around - this was not intended as a dig at any one)..

Argos have some offers on a lot of Hornby stuff, under their 'Summer Clearance' promotion...

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Browse?pp=20&s=Price%3A+High+-+Low&storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002701&langId=-1&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CGifts%2Band%2Bhobbies%7C14417351&c_2=2%7C14417351%7CClearance%2BGifts%2Band%2Bhobbies%7C14519943&r_001=4%7CBrands%7CHornby%7C1

Sound Class 50's at £150, not exactly cleap but 'more reasonable' than elsewhere....

'Flying Scotsman' trainpack ( Kingfisher? A4 and detailed Teaks ) at £130...

BR L1 at £65...

Railroad 3F at £20...

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

HobbyCraft in Basildon have a sale on with many Hornby items reduced. Today I picked up a Rudd and a Clam departmental wagons at £7.99 each. The Garter Blue A4 is under £100.

Rob

Hi guys,

I've just been shopping in my local Aldi's and have bought a cordless multi-tool for only £14.99! It's 7.2v li-ion, 2,000-18,000 revs and also has 45 accs.

With a 3yr. guarantee thats only £5 a year if it breaks!

Cheers, Jeff

Hornby items on sale again at Modelzone in their

summer sale - 220+ with around 140 available to order on line

They don't seem to have added or reduced anything, its the same stuff they've had listed for the past month or so from what I can see.

I picked up the last sound Castle in the Manchester store a few weeks back.

• 4 weeks later...

Any Bachmann Dynamis DCC system users wishing to upgrade with a Pro Box, may be interested in Rails of Sheffield's current offers.

The Pro Box is down from approx. £137 to just £99.50

Other items in the Dynamis range are also marked down; e.g. ......

Dynamis £74.50

Handsets at £39.50

Wireless Receiver £12.50

The price for a Dynamis + Pro Box with this offer is therefore £174; a considerable saving on the normal price (normally around £220 - 230).

There's also a package including....

Dynamis + Pro Box + extra Handset + extra Wireless Receiver + Point (SwitchPilot) Accessory Decoder.....all for £224.50.

That's £50.50 above the discounted Dynamis Pro price and around the normal price for the Dynamis Pro, but with the extra Handset, Wireless Receiver and SwitchPilot thrown-in.

Of course this is only of any use if you already have a Dynamis system and want to expand it, or if you're interested in this rather than a more capable DCC system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Poundland in Watford had Electric Fly Swatters in stock on Saturday (27th Aug) - could be useful for converting to a static grass applicator without risking much. Other Poundland stores around the country may well have them too. HTH

Brian

I popped down to the Toy Fair at Bridgnorth Leisure Centre and was able to pick up 4 kitbuilt wagons for £2 each. These included what I assume to be a brass GWR W3 Cattle Wagon, a DCA PO Wagon, a LNER 12t Sleeper Wagon.

The fourth wagon which to me was the icing on the cake, was a LNER 12T Mineral Wagon where the top two planks over the door have been cut away. This is a wagon I have been looking for since I saw one of these examples on the Severn Valley. And to have it in such an excellent condition and for only £2, you can't go wrong in my opinion.

Garethp8873.

240v fluorescent under-cabinet lighting. 57.5cm long, slimline, lightweight, pivoting (directable) luminaire (for want of better terminology - the spread of light can be adjusted by rotating the reflector) and with fitted diffuser. Includes mains cord plus daisy chain cord to link multiple fittings.

Just the job for lighting the layout (you may wish to find daylight tubes). Or even in the kitchen, I guess.

£9/ea from Lidl, incl. standard bulb. Just bought three for Cully.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

ian allen in birmingham have a few dynamis items on sale....

dynamis (basic, not pro box) for £85

extra handset £35

wireless reciever £10

i bought up the remaining Bachmann/esu accessory decoders at £20 a piece

there are also a few wagons left from Bachmann and Hornby as well as a load of continental stuff from liliput etc, all reduced by at least 1/3 or in some cases more, i got the last of the Bachmann megaboxes for £12 each

Archived