Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Sounds good. Is that these discs?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FAOB46/ref=asc_df_B000FAOB462884297?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B000FAOB46

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Transport-Films-Vol-Reshaping/dp/B000IMVMHU/ref=pd_cp_d_h__2

Hope the links work - just near the top of results on Google.

I see from that they are quite cheap elsewhere as well - I had assumed these were £19.99 jobs.

Unfortunately don't seem able to get onto The Works website to see where their nearest store is just now.

Cheers,

26power

Those are the ones they have (had?)

Guest taylorc

Just bought a Hornby Class 60 with sound for £146.99 at Modelzone Metro Centre. They have other Hornby bargins on offer. May be worth looking in at your local shop.

• RMweb Premium

Just bought a Hornby Class 60 with sound for £146.99 at Modelzone Metro Centre. They have other Hornby bargins on offer. May be worth looking in at your local shop.

Or on their website.....

Modelzone sound 60

Cheers,

Mick

Trying hard to convince himself that 5 60's is enough............

• 2 weeks later...

Hobbycraft are selling plaster impregnated cloth at half price. Couldn't seem to see a weight or size on it, but it appeared to be about 6 inches wide. It's down to 97p or thereabouts, I've no idea if that's a good price or not as it's not my chosen landscaping medium, but passing the info on. My branch appeared to have bloomin' loads of the stuff.

baldrick25. Best of luck with your drills, I hope they turn out to be the bargain they appear. I've not been an advocate of cheap tools since I bought a load of Toolzone stuff on Ebay. Most of it turned out to be utter rubbish and I vowed never again to cut corners with tools for important jobs.

• RMweb Gold

baldrick25. Best of luck with your drills, I hope they turn out to be the bargain they appear. I've not been an advocate of cheap tools since I bought a load of Toolzone stuff on Ebay. Most of it turned out to be utter rubbish and I vowed never again to cut corners with tools for important jobs.

Although on the other hand, a couple of quids worth of poor drills are useful for non critical holes, through baseboards, stitch drilling holes in bodies etc. Keeps the decent drills for the precision work.

Guest baldrick25

Not to steal your thunder, but these are what I use, and they are excellent Ebay Item number: 380309056582

A useful set of small drills indeed- I just bought one, Thanks for the link.

To answer the previous posters, I tend to model in softer materials , like aluminium, brass, plastics obviously, wood as in baseboards, etc, and although I scratchbuild, I'm not in the real steam modelling area. I've lost more drills in the past from 'sloppy work practices' like failing to hold the wrk securely when drilling than through the drill quality. Decent drills are fine for me. Top quality drills (tools?), I do have a few of for those jobs that need them. The long drills I posted are pretty decent for my jobs where a long shank drill is required. I haven't wrecked any so far.

Unfortunately, they only list posting to UK.

Try other listings for 150 piece drill set, e.g. Item number: 130509350822, who list free to UK, and will quote for any world wide delivery. I suspect they are available in Australia direct as well, as they are FE made in China.

Stephen

Dapol have updated the front page of their site showing N gauge containers at reduced prices. Limited stock available on them. Assume they're clearing out the older numbers before the new ones arrive. Probably not suitable for me but I'm sure they're of use to somebody.

Tom N.

Not to steal your thunder, but these are what I use, and they are excellent Ebay Item number: 380309056582

The small drills in these sets are rubbish, bendy and blunt.

If you want drills smaller than 1mm then the following are recommended:

These are quite good Chinese ones, sometimes i've ordered a 10 pack and got 20 too!

These German made ones are superb, a couple of sellers do these packs on eBay and they go down to 0.3mm at around £3.50 for 10 (compare to Eileens £4.30 for 1..).

These drills can drill through 1/2 etch NS and brass as well as softer modelling materials.

If you want drills smaller than 1mm then the following are recommended:

These are quite good Chinese ones, sometimes i've ordered a 10 pack and got 20 too!

These German made ones are superb, a couple of sellers do these packs on eBay and they go down to 0.3mm at around £3.50 for 10 (compare to Eileens £4.30 for 1..).

These drills can drill through 1/2 etch NS and brass as well as softer modelling materials.

The 150 universal set is quite OK for general model work in soft metal like brass, whitemetal, plastic etc,

The better made Chinese drills mentioned are quite OK, but be aware of the exact description they use, they are both HSS and Carbon Steel, which the Hong Kong supplier calls "Silver Tone", these are not HSS drills. The Silver tone version are usually the 20 piece sets, whilst the HSS versions are in 10's........

The Silver Tone are just as sharp, but are softer carbon tool steel, and not as durable in the longer term as HSS Drills.

The finish of the Chinese made drills is excellent quality, but the HSS grades are a bit softer than UK or German supplied HSS Drill bits. They still work for all our uses, HSS does not mean sharper, only resitance to wear at high production rates, where they resist heat.

The 150 piece sets are described as HSS, but frankly the material seems nearer Carbon steel on the smaller sizes, whilst the bigger ones are OK on a hardness tester.

However for the usual home mechanic and modeller they are usable, and very cheap. They appear to be Indian, or Philippine, in origin.

Some of the Micro Drill sets that are now sold in the UK are not the original high grade drills, suppliers like Expo are 100%, but the drills cheaper than the expo price level on Ebay are very suspect indeed.

If the smaller ones below 1mm bend easily, then they are not HSS, and I simply do not trust the so called Titanium Coated versions offered cheap, they are carbon steel or worse. Titanium coated sets from reputable suppliers are OK, they sell at a premium price for the simple reason they cost more to make, so be aware if cheap they are likely to be a fake!!

Stephen.

I can only say that I have had no problems at all with the small drills - in fact I managed to break my first 0.3mm one last week, by dropping the Dremel which broke the bit

Further examination of the Hong Kong listing shows "Silver tone" description is on some HSS listings as well, so best check they say HSS if you want the better versions. Some drills are described as "grey" and mention HSS, some not. Appears to be a language problem. not miss description. Also there are 20 piece listings for HSS which are extremely good value

The ones I had before were definitely HSS hardness, not cheaper Carbon Steel.

Carbon steel can be as hard on the surface, but still has a soft core and may bend and snap more easily than HSS types.

Stephen.

Archived