Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Premium

You would think the design clever approach would be to supply the retailers with new non-olympic packaging for the unsold locos and coaches to put them back into regular stock. They'd lose less like that than having to discount them so heavily to dispose of them

If they had used joined up thinking they would have packaged them normally with an outer "Olympic" wrapper which could have been removed, rather like some stuff that's sold "especially" for Christmas.

Snowblerone anybody?

Keith

Just come home from The Range  lots of nice bargans there packs of DAS modeling clay  foam board, poster paints  acrylics all manner of  materials for use in scenic works  roll on pay day

I shall return lol

A trip to Dunelm Mill has yielded nice big A1 sheets of mounting card (1.3mm thick) and foamboard (5mm thick) at the princely sum of £1 a sheet. A2 sheets of the same card were 50p each.

All due to an end of season craft sale. They were unable to reply when quizzed about exactly when craft season started and finished, and whether i needed a licence to shoot during this "season" :D

Should we see anymore of the N2 plus teaks sets go below the £100 mark again, I think I'd get the credit card out...can't have too many of those teaks, and the spare N2 chassis will be useful for combining with Andy J's excellent 3D printed N1 kit.

This is the sort of set though that would have done brilliantly if it had been paired with a 3rd brake and a 3rd class Gresley Suburban coach, and priced accordingly, without the Olympic paraphernalia. One of those things, but I'm not complaining as I've done very well out of Hornby's misfortune.

Not near your target price, but the closest, currently, is Kernow offering it at £119.99 - http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/33134/R2981_Hornby_London_Olympics_1948_Train_Pack_Limited_Edition

Rails of Sheffield are offering Bachmann 31-650U 47145 Merrdin Emrys with a £40 gift voucher to use on your next purchase.

https://railsofsheffield.com/class-47-145-merddin-emrys-european-blue-livery-diesel-locomotive-with-railfreight-distribution-branding-plus-free-40-00-gift-voucher-31-650u-JJJA8622.aspx

And this weekend (possibly longer?) they are offering free postage on all orders placed over £50 (for current items only, not forthcoming releases and within mainland UK)

• RMweb Premium

e-mail from Rails this morning with some obsolete 00 diesels. Of course I've already got the ones I want! but I noticed at least one 2-car dmu for less than £50.

Ed

If you mean the 158's - I think they're the ones that haven't got seperate glazing - i.e. it's a one-piece clear (tinted) moulding with the bodycolour sprayed on. In otherwords a veritable PITA to repaint........

31-500, 31-500A, 31-500B & 31-501 I believe are the catalogue no.s involved

Cheers,

Mick

Guest 40-something

If you mean the 158's - I think they're the ones that haven't got seperate glazing - i.e. it's a one-piece clear (tinted) moulding with the bodycolour sprayed on. In otherwords a veritable PITA to repaint........

31-500, 31-500A, 31-500B & 31-501 I believe are the catalogue no.s involved

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Mick

Im not so sure, I think they have separate glazing, have a look at this, it looks like there is a glazing moulding inside the window apertures.  I think the hopper window frame part is moulded as part of the glazing though.

Should we see anymore of the N2 plus teaks sets go below the £100 mark again, I think I'd get the credit card out...can't have too many of those teaks, and the spare N2 chassis will be useful for combining with Andy J's excellent 3D printed N1 kit.

This is the sort of set though that would have done brilliantly if it had been paired with a 3rd brake and a 3rd class Gresley Suburban coach, and priced accordingly, without the Olympic paraphernalia. One of those things, but I'm not complaining as I've done very well out of Hornby's misfortune.

Your wish is granted (N2 plus teak sets sub-£100). AC Models of Eastleigh has a 9 sets in its Ebay shop  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/acslotcarsandtrains on a buy-it-now for £90 -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2981-2012-LONDON-OLYMPICS-LIMITED-EDITION-TRAIN-PACK-NEW-BOXED-/130836251177?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e7672c229

It also has the loco (split from set) for £60 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2981-0-6-2T-BLACK-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-LOCO-1948-LONDON-OLYMPIC-PACK-/310595449041?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4850ee70d1

And, the teak coaches (split from set) for £53 at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2981-LONDON-1948-OLYMPICS-COACHES-ONLY-BRAND-NEW-/140916527784?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20cf4792a8

Also, if you want to chance it, they are offering the same, but on an auction basis. The choice, it seems, is yours!

Mel

PS ordered mine...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick

Im not so sure, I think they have separate glazing, have a look at this, it looks like there is a glazing moulding inside the window apertures.  I think the hopper window frame part is moulded as part of the glazing though.

Hi Joe,

That certainly looks like seperate glazing. I know the very early releases were one piece mouldings, but it was changed pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Joe,

That certainly looks like seperate glazing. I know the very early releases were one piece mouldings, but it was changed pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Mick

From what I remember, only the 31-500 was like that, it wasn't available for long and the re-tooled versions appeared some while after. It must have been about 1997 they were available. Wonder where Rails found them?

Edit: Post #603 here explains:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65633-Hornby-2-bil/page-25

Your wish is granted (N2 plus teak sets sub-£100). AC Models of Eastleigh has a 9 sets in its Ebay shop  http://stores.ebay.co.uk/acslotcarsandtrains on a buy-it-now for £90 -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2981-2012-LONDON-OLYMPICS-LIMITED-EDITION-TRAIN-PACK-NEW-BOXED-/130836251177?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e7672c229

It also has the loco (split from set) for £60 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2981-0-6-2T-BLACK-BRITISH-RAILWAYS-LOCO-1948-LONDON-OLYMPIC-PACK-/310595449041?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4850ee70d1

And, the teak coaches (split from set) for £53 at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2981-LONDON-1948-OLYMPICS-COACHES-ONLY-BRAND-NEW-/140916527784?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20cf4792a8

Also, if you want to chance it, they are offering the same, but on an auction basis. The choice, it seems, is yours!

Mel

PS ordered mine...

Woo - just won myself an N2 for £38.55!  :sungum:

Many thanks for that tip. Pays to bid in the last 5 seconds!

I understand they were based on pre-production drawings and info, and haven't really been updated to reflect the real locos. Until Heljan, they were the only game in town for OO RTR 58s, though, and they are a nice price. I had one many years ago, and it was a good toy train.

• RMweb Premium

Early examples couldn't even start to pull the skin off a rice pudding though.  Find a decent Heljan example is my advice unless you want to model a couple of demics at the back of the yard.  Having said that Heljan have not made any 58's for quite some time now and so supplies are a little scarce now.

I understand they were based on pre-production drawings and info, and haven't really been updated to reflect the real locos. Until Heljan, they were the only game in town for OO RTR 58s, though, and they are a nice price. I had one many years ago, and it was a good toy train.

Just to add my pennies worth as I've had an "early" and a "later" one - because they were cheap.  They were certainly based on the drawings/artists impressions/mock ups as the first model (58 001) was released in good time for Christmas 1982, unlike the the real thing which I think made it out of Doncaster that December.  With regard to being a "toy train", I think that's subjective, and a later version would hold it's own in the RailRoad range in terms of appearance - and some (not all) of those are better than simply toys.

I wonder about this kind of thing.  For example, the Lima/RailRoad Class 40 looks much more in proportion than the earlier Bachmann tooling, but the latter has better detail.  Like I say, it's subjective.  The later Hornby 58's have a better finish as you would expect.

Early examples couldn't even start to pull the skin off a rice pudding though.  Find a decent Heljan example is my advice unless you want to model a couple of demics at the back of the yard.  Having said that Heljan have not made any 58's for quite some time now and so supplies are a little scarce now.

In terms of pulling power(!), they're equivalent with most of the older Hornby modern image stuff.  Not heavy enough, power to a single bogie, traction tyres, etc...  The Heljan is a much superior model, but if like me you are forced by sentimentality to have some older and not particularly well detailed stock, then they won't look out of place.  It's my sons Birthday coming up and an EWS Class 58 at £29.50 has just been ordered.

Double power bogied and weighted, they could be made OK.

If you're doing a depot layout, the price is good enough to practice detailing up.

Cheers,

Mick

The EWS Class 58 arrived yesterday, it is what it is.  The body detail is equivalent to other Hornby diesels up until those tooled relatively recently.  Compared to more recent offerings, it's from a different world.  In my opinion, it says more about how rtr models have improved than deficiencies as such in a 1982 tooling.  In terms of pulling power, it will haul a test rake of 7 Bachmann coaches with a little wheel slip from a standing start; it struggles with 8+ coaches or with a load on the incline.  That's not an issue as it goes to the MPD and is what I expected to be honest.  The paint finish is as good as anything.

In short, not bad at all for £30 "brand new" and it will make a 10 year old boy very happy.  Not for the purists but better than a "toy"!

• RMweb Gold

The EWS Class 58 arrived yesterday, it is what it is. ...

In short, not bad at all for £30 "brand new" and it will make a 10 year old boy very happy.  Not for the purists but better than a "toy"!

Can you get hold of another class 58 motor bogie, maybe from the spares people, and replace the non-motorised bogie with this? If my experience with an ancient class 47 model is anything to go by, this will increase haulage capacity from 8 coaches to over 20 at a stroke.

Can you get hold of another class 58 motor bogie, maybe from the spares people, and replace the non-motorised bogie with this? If my experience with an ancient class 47 model is anything to go by, this will increase haulage capacity from 8 coaches to over 20 at a stroke.

You know what?  I did that as a kid myself, I made a "good" Triang/Hornby Hymek out of the one I had and a motor bogie I picked up from a model show, presumably for dinner money.  I still have the body which remarkably is in excellent condition, although I had to get a "new" motor bogie and chassis off eBay and is back in "as built" configuration.  I have a Brush Type 2 and class 37 from the same era and in the same excellent condition.  My children's "sentimentality" towards "Daddy's old trains" is limiting from a modelling perspective, but lovely all the same.

Good shout and I hadn't thought of it to be honest.  Just done a quick search on eBay and the motor bogies are c£25 including P&P (Peters Spares) which kind of defeats the object.  I could have got something altogether different/better for 55 quid.  Still, I've saved a search to see if something comes up cheap.

• RMweb Premium

Or buy another bargain 58, swap bogies and then have a static one for the shed......

Cheers,

Mick

Archived