Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

Local Homebase (Dumfries) is clearing various Black and Decker/Piranha power tool accessories at £1 each.  From packs of three 1.5mm bits up to a 20mm x 400mm masonry bit, sanding discs and sheets, and jigsaw blades.  Now that I'm home I see that the small drills and spade bits for wood aren't actually any great saving over say Screwfix, but overall probably got some bargains!  Hopefully this also at your store.  If so, if anyone finds an "X81092" mandrel for hole saws between 14 and 30mm think of me!

Edit to strike out last sentence - mandrel found.

• RMweb Premium

Tornado now £74.99 and Mallard £85.80 - hopefully eveyrone here who needed them at the lower prices got them!

Given Amazon's pricing policies, this doesn't mean they won't go back down again. Some time ago I was looking at cameras and the price of the one I wanted went up and down by something like £30 on alternate days.

The excellent website CamelCamelCamel (http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Hornby-R3060-RailRoad-Tornado-Locomotive/product/B004QGSKK6?context=browse) gives you the idea (and makes buying from Amazon feel like playing the stock market). Will it dip again briefly to below £50 tomorrow? Who knows?

I sometimes wonder if they work like a budget airline, and set a target of 'n' items to be sold by a given date, and adjust prices accordingly.

It does make me appreciate a certain large on-line model railway seller whose prices are so stable they even print them in brochures. If something is reduced to £50, you can be pretty sure it will stay there until they've run out, maybe going down a little more if it really doesn't sell.

The Hornby shop in the Swindon Outlet Centre has a 4 for 3 offer on Humbrol paints, and a few other discounted (on the outlet price) items. Maybe not worth a special trip but if you're one of the thousands passing through over the next few days...

For those who may be going into Liverpool City centre, Rapid Hardware (in old George Henry Lees Building) has a small model section.

Wasn't aware this existed, but all models are half price. Didn't have much time to have a good look but they have numerous Oxford cars in O and OO gauge. They also have limited selection of Tamiya paints and plently of Airfix model plane kits.

I wouldn't make a special trip, but if your down there it's worth a look.

Modellers Mecca are having a half sale

And great service too. I spotted not in sale but a dcc fitted cravens at a good price. Rang to check if still available as web site showed just 3 and the very nice lady took my order then and there. Will be doing more business with them based on this experience

Ps should be 2 cravens left now

Colin

Invicta Model rail are having a sale. No idea whether the OO stuff is good value but some on the N Gauge items in the sale are now very competitive. 

http://www.invictamodelrail.com/sale-118-c.asp

The prices are good for OO IMHO, however, one item (the silver Jubilee 5XP + Brush 4) can be had https://railsofsheffield.com/Bachmann-silver-anniversary-pack-25-2014-JJJA26057.aspx slightly cheaper (£175) in Rails' 'sale' - so far the lowest price I've seen

Just ordered a load of the DVD, thank for putting this up! :snooks:

I ordered some a few days ago. There was no indication of delivery estimates or even what service they'd use, which made me wonder how genuine the site is - does anyone have any idea?

I ordered some a few days ago. There was no indication of delivery estimates or even what service they'd use, which made me wonder how genuine the site is - does anyone have any idea?

When I ordered they were saying orders would be dispatched from the 2nd Jan, now they are quoting four weeks delivery due to the onslaught of orders.

No worries about the site. I've ordered from there before.

Not very exciting, but a bit of a useful bargain IMHO.

Wilkinsons seem to have introduced a "pick and mix" screws and bolts section. Everything from the really useful tiny countersunk wood screws every layout needs right through to coach bolts, washers and nuts.

A small bag is £1.99 and a large bag £2.99. You can get hundreds of screws in a bag. I've just stocked up on loads of different sizes of useful screws for a handful of change.

I also take advantage of Wilkinson's own brand paint tester pots - a reasonably generous pot of paint in loads of colours for just over £1. Far more paint and without the built in brush getting in the way compared to more expensive brands. Great for edges of baseboards or fascias. 

Archived