Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

• RMweb Gold

Not very exciting, but a bit of a useful bargain IMHO.

Wilkinsons seem to have introduced a "pick and mix" screws and bolts section. Everything from the really useful tiny countersunk wood screws every layout needs right through to coach bolts, washers and nuts.

A small bag is £1.99 and a large bag £2.99. You can get hundreds of screws in a bag. I've just stocked up on loads of different sizes of useful screws for a handful of change.

i've already mentioned the pick and mix bag somewhere in this thread, i love going in there and filling a bag full of screws, bolts, hooks etc i'll probably never need or use!

i've already mentioned the pick and mix bag somewhere in this thread, i love going in there and filling a bag full of screws, bolts, hooks etc i'll probably never need or use!

Me too :senile:

Same with stationery.

Hello Mell

Going going gone (or should it be down) - I guess Hattons must have had huge stocks  I bought mine from them in August for the bargain price of £25.

, I see that it has a Hornby Pullman (one of the new ones with lights) for £20, ...

As long as you feel you are getting a bargain (at the time!)

Ray

While Hattons often has bargains, in its Christmas/New Year sale, I see that it has a Hornby Pullman (one of the new ones with lights, not Railroad) for £20, which is pretty cheap, even by their standards.

http://www.ehattons.com/35917/Hornby_R4483_Pullman_1st_Class_Parlour_Car_Onyx_Flush_Sided/StockDetail.aspx

Thanks for the reminder - not the one I was looking for as I'd seen them already on sale, BUT, I then remembered they had this Matchboard Brake on sale for 25 quid

http://www.ehattons.com/35916/Hornby_R4482_Pullman_3rd_Class_Brake_Car_No_65_Matchboard_type/StockDetail.aspx

I need another brake to complete a rake, and was watching one on eBay that closes today, BUT, since it's at 32USD already with 11USD for shipping I simply purchased one from Hattons and saved myself 4 quid even with the shipping from the UK - RESULT :) Thanks again for the nudge :)

Hello Mell

Going going gone (or should it be down) - I guess Hattons must have had huge stocks  I bought mine from them in August for the bargain price of £25.

As long as you feel you are getting a bargain (at the time!)

Ray

Hi Ray

That's true. OT Sometimes you just have to shut your eyes when you think you got something at a good price and then sometimes later it turns up cheaper. I thought we might see a number of keenly-priced post New Year sales, but maybe retailers had a good enough Christmas that 'distress selling' isn't needed. 

Mel

In my search for plastruct and acrylic for scratch building I came across this company advertising styrene at a considerable reduction from normal sources ( excluding China imports).

I have placed an order and now await .......

http://www.ema-models.co.uk/index.php/

the company appears to be for scratch builders in many forums not just railways, architectural, scenic, war etc.

• RMweb Premium

In my search for plastruct and acrylic for scratch building I came across this company advertising styrene at a considerable reduction from normal sources ( excluding China imports).

the company appears to be for scratch builders in many forums not just railways, architectural, scenic, war etc.

Looks like it is connected to this company:

http://hobby.uk.com/

Google view of back of premises in West Norwood

http://goo.gl/maps/bwC4D

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Surely this THE original Plastruct-EMA ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I've had no problems when I have ordered from them in the past.

Hi Ray

That's true. OT Sometimes you just have to shut your eyes when you think you got something at a good price and then sometimes later it turns up cheaper. I thought we might see a number of keenly-priced post New Year sales, but maybe retailers had a good enough Christmas that 'distress selling' isn't needed. 

Mel

Some people on this thread must have picked up on the suggestion - I note that tonight the Pullman has crept into No. 14 position in th e'best sellers' list and there are only seven left! The power of rmweb?!

• RMweb Premium

Just a note to say that i ordered 4 of the reduced discs from Activity Media on Wednesday and despite the '4 week' lead time they arrived on Friday. I've always wanted the two Nigel Burkin discs but never been able to justify the full price or been short of cash when they've been in offer. I doubt me purchasing soonervwould have saved the company butbit's the guiltiest i've ever felt about a bargain.

• RMweb Gold

Popped into Ian Allan in Birmingham today whilst on my PnB and it seems they have some real bargains on offer firstly several hardback books and then some Hornby stock on offer for instance the Sir Chris Hoy javelin sets and about a dozen or so Hornby MK3 FO's in blue and grey livery at £20 each also there was a couple of railroad MK1's in chocolate and cream livery at £15 each also some new style HAA's at £15 I think? Also some DVD's on offer not sure on the titles as there was a few people shuffling through them.

• RMweb Premium

Popped into Ian Allan in Birmingham today whilst on my PnB and it seems they have some real bargains on offer firstly several hardback books and then some Hornby stock on offer for instance the Sir Chris Hoy javelin sets and about a dozen or so Hornby MK3 FO's in blue and grey livery at £20 each also there was a couple of railroad MK1's in chocolate and cream livery at £15 each also some new style HAA's at £15 I think? Also some DVD's on offer not sure on the titles as there was a few people shuffling through them.

Let's hope it doesn't go the way of the Cardiff Ian Allen, which is now in the final throes of its closing down sale.

Just came back from Ian Allan with a Bachmann Scenecraft Great Central station entrance and staircase, reduced from £77.50 (i.e. RRP) to £45. Most sources seem to have sold out of this item some time ago....

Visited IA again this week. All the remaining GC Scenecraft stock now sold out.

• RMweb Premium

For anyone in the Cardiff area, there are (sadly) some good bargains in the Ian Allen bookshop closing down sale.

Almost everything is half marked price (usually RRP, but some had already been discounted somewhat).

Quite a few books left, and some model railway scenery and accessories remains.

There is also a table of heavily discounted Ian Allen books, including the DMU and EMU recognition guide at (I think) £6.25 - a good saving even over the current on-line price of £16.50.

I would have walked out with one if I hadn't paid the full price there last Christmas...

They still seem to be redeeming loyalty cards as well.

• RMweb Premium

Don't know whether this has been posted before.

Aldi are selling a "starter set" of storage racking and boxes for £19.99

(can't find it on their website)

It's made up of this product range:

http://www.allit.de/en/business-segments/storage/diy/products/profiplus/

Quite a bit cheaper than buying normally!

Keith

EDIT it's not the usual Chinese copies but genuine German made by Allit

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for that, couple of modern lineside huts and aws caninets bagged, had to resist the sub £100 ATW 67 tucked away on page 2 though!!

Archived