Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

Then realise why you don't do this anymore.....

..as you spend several hours cursing at yourself while you de-fluff the mechanisms.

Even as a child, I knew enough to put a sheet down first, for precisely that reason!

• 1 month later...

Just taken some of the sting out of the disappointment by pre-ordering L & Y 1008. I had held back as I was expecting to have to pay for the Garratt before Christmas :sungum:

Now that was a good idea!

I just need to find a way of expressing to her my disappointment that the black LMS twins and Cock o' the north won't be under the Christmas tree either!. What else can I have instead? 

There's probably a good reason to do my window shopping at 1 am. 

RP

Edited by Roy P

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look at the pre production model on the Heljan stand at Warley and a few points worried me.

Firstly the rotating bunker appears to be too low a pitch. If you look at side on photos in LMS & LNER Garretts by Essery and Toms the bunker is clearly much higher than the cab roof - this is significant as it adds a lot to the appearance of 'bulk' to the prototype.The bunker top is in line with the roof on the model.

Secondly I think the valve gear and particularly the slide rods appear 'heavy' on the model, this may be because they are bright metal at the moment, this maybe helped by the weathering.

Thirdly other is a moulding line all down the firebox, boiler and smoke box which is in line with the corner of the firebox, so this will be very visible from normal viewing angles.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any comments now it has been seen at a major venue or am I being overly critical?

Had a look at the pre production model on the Heljan stand at Warley and a few points worried me.

Firstly the rotating bunker appears to be too low a pitch. If you look at side on photos in LMS & LNER Garretts by Essery and Toms the bunker is clearly much higher than the cab roof - this is significant as it adds a lot to the appearance of 'bulk' to the prototype.The bunker top is in line with the roof on the model.

Secondly I think the valve gear and particularly the slide rods appear 'heavy' on the model, this may be because they are bright metal at the moment, this maybe helped by the weathering.

Thirdly other is a moulding line all down the firebox, boiler and smoke box which is in line with the corner of the firebox, so this will be very visible from normal viewing angles.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any comments now it has been seen at a major venue or am I being overly critical?

These are legitimate concerns, especially the mold lines. There should not be any mold lines on an RTR model. We cannot get rid of them once the model is painted so the manufacturer should take the time to remove them before the model is painted even if this means charging a bit more.

Does anybody have some recent photos of the display model so that we can check the above complaints ?

From Hattons Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=622189954468107&set=a.622189744468128.1073741826.217917844895322&type=3&theater

The real one

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/LMS_Garratt_7993_Hasland.jpg

Doesn't look that bad to me, bearing in mind it might have to tuck under the cab on our train set curves.

Interesting comments above Steve45. Excuse my ignorance as I wasn't at Warley but were there a number of Garratts there? If so did they all have the mould lines on? I seem to remember from somewhere hearing that these were samples that had been painted by hand so maybe that could explain it...I hope so.

I see what you mean about the pitch if the bunker. After you mentioned it I think It is noticeable if you're looking for it. I hadn't noticed it before. I think from the photos I've seen of the model and I don't thin that would make me cancel my order (or change it for a standard bunker type)

What I wasn't so keen on in the pics of the br one on Topley Dale was the size of the numbers - compared to the photos in the Irwell press book they looked rather too large. Might be my eyes are going though!

They were indeed samples, so as you say maybe that explains it. I hope we get some further images and information on the production models prior to release / dispatch as £199 is a fair bit of cash to lay out only to be disappointed with the model. 

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the photo of the real thing and the model I don't believe that there is a huge difference between the pitch of the bunker, even if there is I don't think it will be an issue....will it?

I emailed hattons today. They got back to me very quickly. They said the bunker is oart of the moulding and will be as on the pre prod models. The numbers might not be the same size on the factory models but they won't know until the first ones appear. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...