Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting  that, am I seeing drive shafts that suggest the motor in the front tank drives both sets of drivers? That will make it rather tricky to have only one end slip, a Garrett characteristic I have witnessed many times, but still better than only powering one end.

Regards

Keith

There is a second motor to drive the rear, removed in the pic, showing just the drive shaft and gear box.

There were also two cast weights that fitted on top of the motor and drive mechanism.

Edited by Free At Last

Grovenor, on 25 Jun 2013 - 18:48, said:

Presumably the two sloping shafts in the articulation joints are representations of the exhaust pipes then...

I think that what you're looking at is the wiring.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here we go chums, pictured earlier this year in Nairobi. OK, it's not the Heljan version but it is a Garratt, and a big one too!

The individual parts of the motion and valve gear are very Gresley-esque, especially the expansion link/die block, and the return crank.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice if the rotating bunker was a DCC function. As for slipping, here down under in NSW our AD60's would sometimes slip to a stand. As water was used from the front tank naturally it got lighter and the front unit could slip like blazes whilst the rear unit didn't. Once brought to stand often the loco would just move off again. I wonder if the UK Garratts ever double headed like ours did. If anyone 'over there' has an AD60 model and has wondered what the two funnel like things are near the rail in front of the engine. They are not fresh air pipes but sound intensifiers so the crew could hear detonators exploding due to the distance between them and the 'dets' or 'crackers'

With the AD60 model the loco has a motor in each of the front and hind unit with the DCC decoder located in the middle boiler section and the speaker located in the ash pan. The QSI system is used and the sounds are U.S sounds.  The loco 'puffs' to a halt. No NSW Garratt  has worked since the 1980's     

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

According to Model Rail the testing on the twin motors has been concluded, now they are working on the working oil lamps.

Edited by 7013

Here we go chums, pictured earlier this year in Nairobi. OK, it's not the Heljan version but it is a Garratt, and a big one too!

I like the African Garratt's

Wasn't the Zimbabwean 14th class similar to the LMS? 

OK I know gauges at least different and no doubt many other details.

• RMweb Gold

Photo please.

Included here Ozzy, plus a drawing (of sorts) - just scroll down 'til you get to the Garratts  (best way to search for them on Google is 'Rhodesia Railways 14th Class' - because that was what they really were, someone just changed the name of the country in later years ;) )

http://rhodesianheritage.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/locomotives-of-rhodesia-railways.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/7425150212/

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rhodesia+railways+14th+class&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=auouUsXnDsKshQfB8oGQAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1424&bih=970

Slightly off topic, but the DE2 looks vaguely like our own DP1 and DE4 looks like a 47.

Brush did export to Zimbabwe(Cold still have been S Rhodesia ?) some class 47 variants so you're observation is correct, at least one was still operating in the 1990's according to Tom's book on  Brush loco's. They also went to Cuba and Ceylon.

Edited by stadman

It does look very nice. I don't currently have anywhere to run trains, as we moved house a month ago and I still haven't really decided what to do about creating a layout room (the options are: convert the garage, convert the loft, or buy a shed) and, unlike our previous house, we don't have space for a big kitchen table that can double as a test track. If my Garratt turns up before I've at least managed to make space for a test track in the garage I may well end up reverting to my childhood and setting up an oval on the living room floor just so that I can see it run!

If my Garratt turns up before I've at least managed to make space for a test track in the garage I may well end up reverting to my childhood and setting up an oval on the living room floor just so that I can see it run!

Then realise why you don't do this anymore.....

..as you spend several hours cursing at yourself while you de-fluff the mechanisms.