Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

Hi all

Given that the LMS used to use the Settle to Carlisle line as a test route is there any record of the Garrats visiting the line

Ian

Hello Ian,

all the published test reports in the book on the Garratts by Essery and Toms, are between Toton and Brent.

OzzyO.

IIRC. they did get to the following places that were out of the normal. York, Peterborough and Bescot or was it Saltleigh. Just maybe to Manchester (Gorton?). Don't forget Crewe.

OzzyO.

For Peterborough - read Whittlesey (Whittlesea). During the war, their trains were extended to run to Whittlesey to ease congestion in the PBO yards.

So they did actually get onto GE metals!

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

IIRC. they did get to the following places that were out of the normal. York, Peterborough and Bescot or was it Saltleigh. Just maybe to Manchester (Gorton?). Don't forget Crewe.

OzzyO.

I understand that York wasn't entirely 'out of the normal' for them Ozzy as at one time there was a regular Garratt turn to/from York.

In their final years they ventured as far as Temple Mills with coal trains to the large gas works by Lea Bridge. I'm told somebody has a photo but I must admit I've never seen one.

What route did they take to get there - was it it via Cambridge?

Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of time to do your research chaps, Hattons report that they are still undergoing tests and will not be here before June/July

Oh dear, I can see that date becoming November-December just in time for the OMG where's me credit card season.... :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 2

Well, at least it shows that they want to get it right rather than release a half-baked product. The delays are disappointing, obviously, but I'd prefer waiting a bit longer to having a poorly-made model.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Curious to know how far North these engines went. I have a picture of one, 47976 at a location just north of Whatstandwell by the Cromford Canal in the book 'Main Lines in the Peak District', by C.P. Nicholson. Its heading south light engine; my guess is that it maybe worked to the Chinley/Gowhole/New Mills area. My spotter buddies tell me that they did not get as far as  Manchester on the old Midland route. I always thought that they were usually at Toton and south of there on coal drags to the home counties, unless someone out there has seen then in the North West. Any sightings?

They seemed to work into Rowsley on and off so a garratt at whastandwell isn't strange. They didn't go up the bank though, mainly because of the braking requirements meant that they couldn't use the power they have. I think that because of that they had something like the same load limit as a 4F...I think!

Hi all , I am from Tasmania and grew up in Burnie where the EbR Emu bay Railroad had several of these monsters running to the west coast mines , the ground shook and trembled as they approached , still nearly a mile away , still remember the wheels slipping as they climbed the hill leaving Burnie , the experience is still etched in my mind , yes I want one please .

I understand that York wasn't entirely 'out of the normal' for them Ozzy as at one time there was a regular Garratt turn to/from York.

I believe that there was also a regular turn to Gormley Junction near Bradford North Western, although the Kitmaster type was used on this, rather then the Heljan.

:angel: 

• RMweb Premium

..... the Kitmaster type was used on this, rather then the Heljan.

:angel:

I don't understand - Kitmaster produced the rotating bunker type; Heljan are to produce both.

.... or am I missing your point entirely?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Just received a email from Hattons that the heavily weathered 47996 is due in Friday......

1st November. Very precise but still a fair way off.

Yes  seems to be  running  a  little  late!    However   I suppose  I can  spend  the saved up cash on  sonething  else  and  save  up  again!!! :scratchhead:

.... or am I missing your point entirely?

Afraid so. Did you see the smiley?

I think we worry too much about where particular engines ran. It would only take a stroke of a controller's pen to change the duty or allocation of any engine. We mostly have fictional layouts, so I think we can use our imagination to create appropriate loco allocations and duties for them.

My layout is called Bradford North Western and I want to run my Kitmaster B-G to run on it - not for any reason other than I like Beyer Garratts and I happen to have one I can convert to P4. My fiction is that it regularly ran to my fictional station - and  I'm far to much of a Yorkshireman to buy the Heljan version! :mail:

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I have had the same 'on or after' mail. I have had to buy an O1 to haul those heavy coal trains on my layout, looks like I may have to get another heavy hauler to compliment the O1 while I await the BG.Hmmmmmm what to choose?