Heljan Beyer garratt

Hugh Flynn

It looks as if the centre wheels are flangeless, I hope they're not. The earlier pictures had all flanged wheels.

I'll be at the shop tomorrow so will get more info.

They do look flangeless. If this is so, it's an odd move at this stage of the game when Hornby has had all-flanged wheels on its Fowler 2-6-4T for donkeys years (same w.b.). Edited by coachmann

They do look flangeless. If this is so, it's an odd move at this stage of the game when Hornby has had all-flanged wheels on its Fowler 2-6-4T for donkeys years (same w.b.).

Yes, surely no-one is intending to push this around 'toy trainset' curves. A retrograde step IMHO.

It looks as if the centre driving axle is sprung, and in the photo it is clearly not on the same level as the other driving wheels, so it may just be that it has jammed in the "up" position. See also the jointed coupling rod, which is also not quite level.

• 3 weeks later...

Ironically, Garratts were built to go around toy train curves.

That should read "Some Garratts", perhaps even "Most Garratts" but Derby did insist on the standard midland 8' +8'6" wheelbase, and since the whole railway was built to suit locos with that wheelbase it was not an issue for them.

Incidentally, not such a big size difference between a GMAM and an LMS Garratt, the GMAM was some way off the SAR's biggest.

Loco                length   weight   cylinders    boiler dia  TE

LMS Garratt     87'10"   155.5    18.5 x 26    6'9"          40250

SAR GMAM       95' #   191.75   20.5 x 26   7'0"          60700   #dimension from RR 20th class, will be the same within a few inches

EAR 59 class                251.68   20.5 x 28   7'6"          73500

Great photo Alastair

Keith

Edited by Grovenor
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They today wrote to me:

"

Hi Felix,

Thank you for your email.

We are currently expecting delivery of the Beyer Garratts sometime in April. All variants are due in at roughly the same time. If you do pre-order more than one variant, you can request that they be shipped together.

I hope this information helps.

Regards

"

Felix

Beyer Garratt's at Bacup, over the Mendips, through Llanbourne and at Peterborough very soon then.... :sarcastic:

I'm pretty sure they can be justified at Loony Kerbside but the one due to be drafted to Lees for tests on the 'Delph Donkey' through Greenfield met local opposition from the F.L.G Union ('Fukc Large Grates')

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

April is not all that far away. That leaves me with just a few weeks to think up a plausible explanation for one appearing in a smallish goods yard in Stoke-on-Trent :)

Actually, it will probably just go into the cabinet for now (after a run round the test track, of course) while I put together some plans for project 2.

• Like 1

...That leaves me with just a few weeks to think up a plausible explanation for one appearing in a smallish goods yard in Stoke-on-Trent ...

Simply select a yard on a cramped industrial site with a rail overbridge above part of it. Subsidence of bridge pier due to coal mining settlement, Garrat unexpectedly in yard...

Easy.

• Like 2

Just placed order for one which somehow will have both survived beyond 1956 and also got onto the North London line.

Just in case you weren't aware, 47994 was listed in the 1958 edition of 'Observers Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain', stationed at Hasland, Chesterfield. The reason one migrated to the North London Line was because someone mentioned Beyer Peacock and one of the old Superintendants said, "We'll have that... Peacocks used to run on the NLR before old chap".

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I am not sure about the North London line but they were reported on the Kentish Town to Barking line and on to Thames side.

Roger.

Oh no.  This could prove very expensive.  Do you remember where this was reported - I haven't seen any photographic evidence myself. 

IIRC. they did get to the following places that were out of the normal. York, Peterborough and Bescot or was it Saltleigh. Just maybe to Manchester (Gorton?). Don't forget Crewe.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo