Scottish Region photos 1980's

Hi all

Looking at the photos of Dundee there seems to be a retaining wall either side of the station and there seems to be rolling stock at a higher level behind these walls, what was actually up there, also did the line go into a tunnel the Aberdeen end of the station?

Ian

It much depends on the time period you are talking about. In steam days it was more a question of "what wasn't up there?" Dundee was a very significant railway town. Trains Illustrated ran a series in the 50's called Resorts for Railfans and Dundee was in the mid 30's (34 or 36 I think)

In BR Blue the areas immediately to the sides of Tay Bridge Station were above the retaining wall and were yards. Goods shed to the south and the National Carriers good shed to the north. The NCL shed was home to a number of class 20's the last time there was a major recession:-

20_xxx_01.jpg

The line leaves the platforms to the north in tunnel, including at the platform end a signal box - the working of which must have felt very dark. Through the tunnel the line twists and turns and given that the whole thing is pretty much under the water table it is usually running with water. At the far end was Camperdown Junction where formally the line into Dundee East station branched off. By BR Blue days this was home to the cement sidings that at the time received a regular rail supply - like below

37024.jpg

Dundee Tay Bridge as a model? if you had that much space - it would certainly be nice, it is however very long and the yards around it very large.

J

• Like 1

See This Mapfor details of how the present day Tay Bridge Station fitted into the complex in this area. From the North there was Dundee West passenger station (Caledonian Railway) closed 03/05/1965, the Caledonian Goods Station, Tay Bridge Station, and the North British Goods Station nearest the Tay. The remaining high level tracks are on the site of the Caledonian Goods Station

Jim

Re Dundee TB

As John says, the railway has rapidly contracted at Dundee though I've always felt Tay Bridge would make a good model if a convincing scenic break on the western end could be devised.

Some of my shots.

Dundee Central box snapped from a GQS to Dundee stopper.

post-3695-057932500 1287434577_thumb.jpg

The impressive box at Camperdown

post-3695-005399600 1287434523_thumb.jpg

View looking over the goods yard to Central box. Station is off to left and former depot, Esplanade station and bridge off to right. A 37 shunts the yard.

post-3695-037173000 1287434553_thumb.jpg

Bruce

• Like 2

Hi Bruce,

I finally managed to watch your latest video last night, just before the computer had a fizz out.:( Anyway great stuff I really loved the high speed token exchange, and the thrash superb.

Cheers Peter.

Hi all

Slowly going through my photo collection for 1980's Scottish pics, though I don't have that many, I,ve come across these two.

303044 at Glasgow QS Low Level

post-4712-071724300 1287602051_thumb.jpg

And also, I know that Carlise is not exactly in Scotland, but it is the only shot I ever got of the APT.

post-4712-031371800 1287602072_thumb.jpg

Ian

• Like 2

What a great thread!

It's certainly re-awoken many memories of the ScR as was, indeed I'd forgotten just how many 101's there used to be up here!

Casting my mind back a few years I seem to remember Lima releasing a 101 in the early 90s 'Regional Railways - Scotrail' colour scheme. Can anyone remember just how many units had that livery and where they were based?

If anyone has more photos of Aberdeen/Inverness/Far North Line I'd be most interested to see them.

What a great thread!

It's certainly re-awoken many memories of the ScR as was, indeed I'd forgotten just how many 101's there used to be up here!

Casting my mind back a few years I seem to remember Lima releasing a 101 in the early 90s 'Regional Railways - Scotrail' colour scheme. Can anyone remember just how many units had that livery and where they were based?

If anyone has more photos of Aberdeen/Inverness/Far North Line I'd be most interested to see them.

Jim,

Ernie is probably THE man for pics of ScR - I believe he uses the moniker of IrishSwissErnie around these parts - (apologies Ernie if I've got this wrong!!). I've a couple of pics of the Aberdeen Inverness line in my gallery, more in my collection if you have any specific requests and plan to do a vid of each area in due course. Can't help with the Lima 101 query though - family had all but ended my excursions by this time!

Thanks to all for the kind remarks re the vids - they are a pleasure to edit (but a mega pain to upload). More planned tho....

Bruce

Ernie is probably THE man for pics of ScR - I believe he uses the moniker of IrishSwissErnie around these parts - (apologies Ernie if I've got this wrong!!). QUOTE

The links to the Scottish Gallery is in my signature but is

http://rniescottishailwayrchive.fotopic.net/

regards Ernie

What a great thread!

The Regional/Scotrail 101s were allocated to Haymarket, the ones that went to Corkerhill were repainted into Strathclyde Red. I have pictures of 101692, 101693 and 101694 in RR/Scotrail livery.

The Scot-Rail website details the Regional Railways/Scotrail 117s : http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+117

Andy B)

edited as I got my 101s and 117s mixed up! :D

Bruce,

Many thanks.

Ernie,

I've just been browsing through some of your albums (still a few to go!) and many many thanks for putting them online. The photos of Tain brought back many memories as I lived in the Town and its surroundings for a few years in the 80s. I was exceptionally interested to see you'd taken a photo of the turntable well which sat to the North of the Up platform. I had been adamant that the well was still there into the 80s, and was clearly visible from the road overbridge as you crossed the line towards the shore, it's been filled in of course, but everyone I'd mentioned it to was adamant that I was confused with Helmsdale!

I also notice there are a few 'Tarmac' vehicles in the background to the photos, a common site in that part of the world in the mid 80s as the Dornoch bridge was being built.

It's been quite a few years since I've returned to Easter Ross, but one of these days I'll go back for a wander. All changed now of course, the stations are mostly unmanned and downgraded, the boxes and semaphores have all gone, as have all the proper trains!

Andy,

Thanks for that about the 101's in Scotrail colours, I was beginning to think I was losing the plot somewhat as I couldn't remember them at all!

Andy,

Thanks for that about the 101's in Scotrail colours, I was beginning to think I was losing the plot somewhat as I couldn't remember them at all!

Managed to find where I got some of the pictures from! :

101692 : http://darrel817.fotopic.net/p57919558.html

101693 : http://www.tayrail2.fotopic.net/p54989124.html

101694 : http://www.tayrail2.fotopic.net/p54989127.html

Andy B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bruce,

Another superb video, I do love that class 26 thrash. :D

I have a question though. Is the clss 26 at Kirkcaldy terminating then leaving with ECS as I noticed it only has the dummy when leaving? I notice a class 27 in the background does that go onto the train for the return working?

Cheers Peter.