Scottish Region photos 1980's

Handsome shot of the 26 arriving at Dingwall, John.

Great pic of the south box interior here with a tantalising glimpse of the view across the goods yard.

The headshunt and siding are still there but the goods shed and all around have been replaced by housing. However, at least the railway thrives....

Thanks :) that and the one of 26037 outside inverness are my fave two 26 photos i ever got :)

it's been a long time since i went through Dingwall by train, i drove through 2 years ago but never stopped, pity about the goods shed.

thanks for the link to the signalbox interior, as a signalman myself it's always nice to check out other boxes

Some forties.

Firstly a rare sight - celeb green 106 at Perth in October 1980

post-3695-078656200 1286132731_thumb.jpg

Forfar branch farewell, 40 143 passes Alyth Junction. June 1982

post-3695-058574200 1286132915_thumb.jpg

37 010 on an outbound cement looks on as 40 168 runs into Millerhill yard. Oct 1980.

post-3695-000187200 1286133283_thumb.jpg

Finally, 40 067 hammers out of Aberdeen with the 13.40 to GQS.

post-3695-093600700 1286133001_thumb.jpg

Bruce

• Like 4

Thanks Peter, yep thats the inverness highland stags head on a yellow backed sticker instead of the usual white stags head :) when i finally get around to getting myself a Heljan class 27, thats one on my shortlist of candidates i'd like to model, just got to get a couple or three more 26's before i do though :) (I must stop buying models just to display and concentrate on getting my Scottish locos for a new layout instead :D )

(I have a photo of 27052 with the yellow stag too)

Thanks Peter, yep thats the inverness highland stags head on a yellow backed sticker instead of the usual white stags head :) when i finally get around to getting myself a Heljan class 27, thats one on my shortlist of candidates i'd like to model, just got to get a couple or three more 26's before i do though :) (I must stop buying models just to display and concentrate on getting my Scottish locos for a new layout instead :D )

(I have a photo of 27052 with the yellow stag too)

Thanks John,

More great pics too, keep them comming.:D I quite the yellow sticker, though I have only seen one pic of a 27 with it, 014 I think it was. The fact that more than one class 27 has got me tempted to do one some day.

Cheers Peter.

Short vid taken on the Kyle line over a weekend in June 1986.

The combination of the weather, scenery and general ambience made this one of those unforgettable experiences - those who are familar with the line will know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3wmZnIwiOc

Several stills in my gallery from the same weekend.

Working on one about class 27's and then I'll cobble together whatever is left on Waverley for Dave. Enough for a few more after that.

Bruce

• Like 3

Oh the memories! it was touring the highlands behind 26's and 37's in the 80's that gave me my love of scotland! so much so that i visit the highlands two or three times a year now :) i may not go by train now because i'm not a sprinter fan (and i prefer to drive now) but it created a life time facination with the place that feels more like home than my home does :)

• RMweb Premium

lovely clips there bruce

i was distracted by the first couple of trains though - they looked like TSO/SK but with one of the windows blanked/painted out - unless they were SK and someone had the blind down?

good info there too, like the BSO(T)s, the engineer's saloon, mk1s still on B1 bogies

and they even washed the ballast for the worthies on the 'royal scotsman'! :lol:

top stuff

Truly excellent photos and videos there!

Just to help, the unidentified 26 arriving at Dingwall (without ploughs) is 26036 (note the missing outer discs and one of the few IS without ploughs in 1984ish, whilst the unidentified one at Garve on a ballast is 26035 - note the 'Glasgow's Smiles Better' sticker in the centre cab window!

A.

Thanks guys.

Now, a labour of love!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7t3kkAV7BU

No bandwidth filter used - I wanted to hear every burble of the 6LDA28-B and every sizzle of the traction motors. :blink:

Hope you enjoy.

Bruce

Bruce,

Wow, what a video. Happy, happy days. :D :D :D

Interesting to see a couple of double headed 27s south of Dundee there. Didn't think they were that common.

Anyway, I'm off to run a 27 on Waverley West after watching that. Cheers Bruce. You're a star.

Cheers,

Dave

PS A while ago I mentioned I had some shots taken at Glasgow Queen St in 86. Well, after a sort-out I've finally found them so will post them soon.

158722, You sir are an absolute star :D thanks for the info on my unidentified 26's especially the "Glasgow's Smiles Better" one, i can now model this one :)

No problem John, I like this sort of challenge!

Your shot of 27045 at Inverness is not '045 I'm afraid. 045 oddly, had yellow beading around the cab front windows, had drop cab windows (not sliders) and did not have the extra grill on the bodyside just visible in your shot. It must be one of the 27/2s, but odd that the ETH block on the front has been removed. Will do some checking to see what it could be.

One of my own views of 27045, a summer's day (!) at Dundee Aug 14 1985

27045140885dundee.jpg

John, I would suggest your mystery ex 27/2 is 27063. Process of elimination, but give away is position of warning flashers on the nose end and slight corrosion below left side cab window, from a choice of 27059/063/066 which had similar characteristics (slider cab side windows, ETH blocks removed, etc)

Hope of use!

A.

(of Airthrey Park!)

Hi Bruce,

It took a while for my old computer to load but that's a cracking video of the 27s.B) I think if you put some of your video on a DVD you could make a few quid.;)

Cheers Peter.