RMweb

MRA wagons

DapolDave

Hi Dave,

Could you confirm blue/grey RT, blue/grey NR or both versions on board please ?

Thanks,

Can't be certain but according to the email I received from Hattons today it appears that they are the Railtrack ones. Indeed, their site only lists the Railtrack ones for delivery in April.

IIRC Dapol Dave did say that there will be a six week gap between each version so we may not have to wait too long! I also hope the 'Metronet' version isn't too far away either!

Hi Rich,

The blue/grey wagons are now in transit.

They were picked up from the factory last week and should be on a ship at this moment.

Not long now

Cheers

Dave

awesome, thanks for the update Dave :)

Can't be certain but according to the email I received from Hattons today it appears that they are the Railtrack ones. Indeed, their site only lists the Railtrack ones for delivery in April.

IIRC Dapol Dave did say that there will be a six week gap between each version so we may not have to wait too long! I also hope the 'Metronet' version isn't too far away either!

I had the same email. Althought Dave did say about the 6 week gap between versions, I would expect the gap to be longer, as these things don't tend to work like clockwork at the best of times. If one more version makes it out before the end of the year I'll be happy :)

Thanks for the info Dave, I will be adding this set to the yellow set I picked up towards the end of last year from Richard at the Train shop in Morecambe. For just over £100 for a 5 wagon box set it represents very good value for money and the level of detail is superb. The set runs very well too even round the tight storage yard roads on my layout.

Keep up the good work!

Mark

The set runs very well too even round the tight storage yard roads on my layout.

Wish the same could be said for my NR yellow set.

Some context - I am modeling Pwllheli in P4 and when I found photos of the MRA wagons being used on the ETRMS trial trains I needed no excuse to get a set. Having enjoyed great success previously with converting Dapol wagons simply by replacing the wheel sets I thought that the MRA should be no different. Gibson 12mm wheels just pop in and run freely and when refitted to the wagon and tested on a length of straight track the glide along, however show them the diverging road on a B7 and mine start derailing left right and centre (literally).

I eventually tracked the problems down to two areas - (obviously the models are engineered for OO and not intended for use in EM or P4) the slop in the coupling bars, and the wheels contacting the wagon floor.

Having tried removing material from the floor there was still no improvement. After a good deal of trial and error I eventually cured the problem by fitting 10.5 MayGibs and cutting some plastic washers to compensate for the reduction in ride height.  

I will also be replacing the coupling bar and clip with something similar to the arrangement used on the FEA-B wagons as on occasion during shunting moves the wagons have become uncoupled and the operation to re-couple the wagons is anything but subtle.

All things considered I will more than likley get a set of the NR blue/grey wagons when they hit the shops if there are any left!

Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

Jonathan,

What wheels came fitted with the MRA's? How big were they over the tyres and tread?

I would have thought a wheel with a finer tyre profile if the originals were 12mm would pose less of a problem!

Wonder if the original wheels would foul the underside?

Ian

Wish the same could be said for my NR yellow set.[/size]

[/size]

Some context - I am modeling Pwllheli in P4 and when I found photos of the MRA wagons being used on the ETRMS trial trains I needed no excuse to get a set. Having enjoyed great success previously with converting Dapol wagons simply by replacing the wheel sets I thought that the MRA should be no different. Gibson 12mm wheels just pop in and run freely and when refitted to the wagon and tested on a length of straight track the glide along, however show them the diverging road on a B7 and mine start derailing left right and centre (literally). [/size]

[/size]

I eventually tracked the problems down to two areas - (obviously the models are engineered for OO and not intended for use in EM or P4) the slop in the coupling bars, and the wheels contacting the wagon floor. [/size]

[/size] 

Having tried removing material from the floor there was still no improvement. After a good deal of trial and error I eventually cured the problem by fitting 10.5 MayGibs and cutting some plastic washers to compensate for the reduction in ride height.  [/size]

[/size]

I will also be replacing the coupling bar and clip with something similar to the arrangement used on the FEA-B wagons as on occasion during shunting moves the wagons have become uncoupled and the operation to re-couple the wagons is anything but subtle.[/size]

All things considered I will more than likley get a set of the NR blue/grey wagons when they hit the shops if there are any left![/size]

Jonathan[/size]

:sungum:  The postman has literally just delivered my set of NR B&G MRA's!, very pleased as I never expected to see them till next Tuesday really.

To be honest I haven't even unpacked them yet, but that itself is something new to me with all five wagons being contained in one box, so less room taken up in the storage cupboard ( I only used to keep loco boxes, but recent wagon releases have been so exquisite that I can't bear to part with their boxes either now....)

The usual excellent service from Hattons, extremely well packed and delivered within 36 hours on the standard RM £4.00 service.

Of course I'll need something authentic to pull these about now, once Hattons have the photos up a Dapol Class 22 in GSYP will be coming southwards :clapping:

My MRA set is now on its way from Hattons. I will have to wait a bit longer than most of you as I am in Australia but they will get here eventually. :)

China - Liverpool - Australia !!!! ..................... :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My little red card from the Royal Mail arrived this morning, the MRA wagons are back at the sorting office and they don't reopen until Tuesday... :nono:

Just received my Network Rail MRA set in blue grey - nice model (s) but couple of points to be aware of that I have not seen mentioned elsewhere -

1. The lifting eyes are only set into a shallow slot - mine arrived missing two one of which was recovered from wrapping so unwrap carefully from the internal wrapping;  they can be glued back in place fairly easily. I will however have to manufacture the missing one as it is certainly not worth sending the set back for one out of 40 lifting eyes !

2. some of the (20) plastic rails under the ballast bins were not glued into the base of the bin in line with base of bin - the resultant bins would not sit straight however much I manouvred them - the solution is to undercut the rail it from rear and level it out. - Initially I thought it was just me but I see Hattons website 3rd picture of B859NRBG also has an uneven seating problem! Attached photo sort of shows what to look for if the bins do not line up/seat properly

post-15386-0-89263500-1369513536_thumb.jpg

3. Finally to balance the picture - it certainly has not led to me cancelling my remaining  MRA order - it really is an impressive wagon set and when I have my seven foot rake (2 sets) set up it is going to look even more impressive.

After having 2 sets of the yellow Network Rail sets I have been awaiting the arrival of the grey sets and yesterday my 3 sets of these duly arrived, original thoughts, cracking looking wagons, lovely detail, but looking closer, each of the 3 sets has some form of damage, one set has 6 of the little yellow clips that sit on top of the wagon missing (most were snapped off inside the packaging) the second set had 4 of these missing and the 3rd set has 1/2 of the bogies put on the wrong way around meaning that both white brake wheels are on the same side, so a bit of time has been spent with a screw driver to rectify this, but all in all with 5 sets now happily plodding around my layout they look STUNNING! In my opinion these are surely the most realistic engineers wagon out there along with the JJA from Bachmann.

Does anybody know what the next run of these wagons will be and in what livery? And maybe even a timescale on their expected release date? Time to start saving my pennies again  :sungum:

Thanks Stuart

Edited by Stuart1983

• RMweb Premium

As for the Metronet version.......it will still be done but I have temporarily swapped it for another Network Rail (yellow) run with different numbers.

It was brought upon because we found our licence with TFL had expired and we need to re-apply and while this takes a little time I can squeeze the 5th run in as the 4th run (if you follow).

Does anybody know what the next run of these wagons will be and in what livery? And maybe even a timescale on their expected release date? Time to start saving my pennies again  :sungum:

Putting two and two together with Dave's post from last year, I presume the 3rd run is Railtrack fawn/blue with the 4th run being a second batch of NR yellow, followed by a 5th run of Metronet.

Hopefully Dave will confirm.

My set is still tightly wrapped in it's packaging..... I'll ready them for Perth Ex at the end of June. Handbrake wheel mods as per post #144

Cheers,

Mick

Well I have no such issues with the transit or handling of my blue/buff set. I have now weathered and detailed he set and they will feature large in the Model Rail photo shoot due in a week or three with Chris Nevard. One question for Dave and I apologise for a question that has probably been asked before but will there be a spare set of the connecting bars available? They work/look very well but I can see a missing one will cause heartache particularly if we are at a show!

Brilliant wagons - just finished modding my Network Rail Blue/Grey set, correcting the position of the the brake handwheels on the bogies and fitting magnetic couplings in place of the supplied coupling bars. These are slightly larger in diameter than the supplied bars but being fixed means you place them on the track and just push together till they latch - simples! A 10 wagon rake topped and tailed looked great and no problems with couplings parting either. Wiil post some pics if anyone is interested.