Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

MRA wagons

DapolDave

Brilliant wagons - just finished modding my Network Rail Blue/Grey set, correcting the position of the the brake handwheels on the bogies and fitting magnetic couplings in place of the supplied coupling bars. These are slightly larger in diameter than the supplied bars but being fixed means you place them on the track and just push together till they latch - simples! A 10 wagon rake topped and tailed looked great and no problems with couplings parting either. Wiil post some pics if anyone is interested.

Yes please...... what, where from, how, pics etc etc

Pleased with my set which arrived today, all very nicely detailed.  The only slight hitch being that I too have both missing and detatched lifting-eyes - something I also noticed with my earlier Network Rail yellow set.  They are a lovely detail and its easy to see why they may become detatched during transit, but hopefully replacements will be available?

Please do.

Interested in the TNT also - any hiccups with regard to that ?

Yes please...... what, where from, how, pics etc etc

Here is some info on the magnetic couplings - hope it helps. With regard to topping and tailing It was done on a friends large layout with very generous curves but I suspect that I will come to grief on tighter curves. A 5 wagon rake through pointwork was no problem with Class 66's at both ends but when I get another chance will try a full 10 wagon rake on some more complex track.

Right - on to the couplings.

The couplings are made from lengths of 3mm brass tube 7.5mm long with the end flared out and then drilled/reamed to accept a 3mm magnet. I had planned to use 2mm magnets but felt that there was more risk of the wagons parting under load.

The magnets are glued in and the other end crimped slightly to fit in the coupling slot in the wagon. A small hole was drilled in the wagon and in the brass tube at the crimped end. Ensure that there is adequate clearance in the hole in the brass tube to allow side to side and some up and down movement when fitted. When everything is assembled and tested OK give the couplings a clean up and a coat of paint, I used Humbrol RC416.

This method of coupling is now my preferred method for fixed wagon and coach rakes – one word of warning wagons are now ‘handed’ and will only couple one way round due to the magnets so make sure you assemble both the couplings and wagons correctly for your needs.

post-6389-0-83363700-1370081873.jpg

Small hole drilled in wagon

post-6389-0-02823500-1370081961.jpg

Brass tube and magnet

post-6389-0-81712200-1370081974.jpg

Flare tube and drill/ream to 3mm

post-6389-0-29073900-1370081987.jpg

Magnet fitted

post-6389-0-73262300-1370082009.jpg

Crimp end and drill clearance hole

post-6389-0-86814100-1370082056.jpg

Fixing screw

post-6389-0-51931600-1370082085.jpg

Test fitting to wagon

post-6389-0-89343400-1370082108.jpg

Check alignment and movement is OK

post-6389-0-60833700-1370082129.jpg

Clean and paint

post-6389-0-36529500-1370082155.jpg

Magnets used

post-6389-0-23427600-1370082170.jpg

Screws used

Edited by Martin_R
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My set arrived today. I have assembled it on the layout using the Dapol couplings for the time being but may change it to something better in the near future. 

It hasn't actually run yet!! I am still admiring the detail and thinking about a little weathering.

Followed Martin_R's method of producing magnetised couplings. A great idea. I used 2.3mm outside diameter brass tube and extended the crimped ends further than the securing hole so that the tab created could slot between the metal bars in the Dapol system, which assisted in taking up and down pressure off the locating hole. I also used 2mm diameter magnets, type F412 from Magnet Expert Ltd, these are the non higher temperature tolerant 2mmx2mm magnets that can hold more force. I carried out drawbar tests and they can hold together a 5 unit set on pointwork and on steep inclines. The benefit of them is that the 2.3 mm tube can be drilled out to take the magnet without having to flare it. Thanks for the idea and the prototype photos.

The other good news with the blue/grey set is that Dapol have produced them correctly with the part ribbed part flat sided doors of the earlier build, compared to the fully flat sided for the later build yellow livery.

Unfortunately had the same problem that I PM'd Dapol Dave about re the earlier set, with the bins not being seated on the chassis, due to the plastic mouldings attached to the bottom of the bins being too tight to go over the chassis side detail. Most of them needed the be shaved narrower in order to locate down properly. I prefer mine to have the bins fixed in travelling/yard mode and don't intend to use them tipped

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Wonder where the Railtrack B&G ones have got too..............?

All the usual on-line sources (inc Dapol) have little or no info.

Aren't they in the next batch?

Ian_B

Just noticed this on the Dapol website regarding Railtrack liveried MRA's...

Dated 6/12/13!

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=64#.UuaYJMxFC70

NQP - not quite perfect

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• 1 month later...

Just purchased the Railtrack set from Rails for £84.50 . Always said I wouldn't bother getting any but at that price the missus got them for me birthday bless her!

Couple of lifting eye detached and a small part from the underframe from the power wagon but 2 mins with some Mechpak and all's good . Very impressive models

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi guys

Very quick question, apologies if covered elsewhere...

The MRA's in Railtrack colours are going cheap at places like Hattons and Kernow -

http://www.ehattons.com/70125/Dapol_B859RTBG2_MRA_side_tipping_ballast_train_5_car_unit_generator_vehicle_Railtrack_blue_grey/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/42006/B859_Dapol_MRA_side_tipping_ballast_wagon_5_car_set_Railtrack

Can you remind me what the 'error' was please - just incorrect numbers, or is there more to it?

I'm happy to have a go at a good bodge correction, but just wondered what needs doing?

Many thanks!

James

The link to the Dapol website that Newbryford posted #209 states

"Due to a the incorrect deco spec being approved early in the year, the recently delivered Railtrack Blue/Grey MRA's have some innacuracies (can you spot them!)"

Since I don't know what the issue is (and ignorance is bliss), I decided to buy a set a few months back.  I still don't know what the issue is, but I haven't seen many of the prototypes up close enough to be truly knowlegable on the various liveries.  I don't even know when they were overstickered with Network Rail logos.

From pictures i have scene  they only thing i see it's " renewing 
                                                                                      your railway "  should be " renewing your
                                                                                                                                 railway "          the your is in the wrong place !

Edited by rus578

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit of a bump for this topic

Has anyone tried a different coupling method other than the magnet method above, got my set out for the first time today and quite frankly they are the worst running wagons ive tried on the layout, as my track rises and falls (planned, not dodgy trackwork!) and has tight curves etc the coupling bars are proving troublesome

On the tight curves they appear to cause the wagon body to raise at the rear end which in turn raises the outer end of the bogie lifting the wheel off the track

Could shanked kaydees/knuckle couplers be fitted into the coupling hole (such as the type fitted to Bachmann megaboxes etc) or can you buy some sort of hinged/swivelling nem socket to fit to the wagon underframe and use that to mount kaydees?

They are a cracking set of wagons and it would be a shame for them to be 'looking at wagons' if i cant get them to run smoothly

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

as an update to the above question i've been looking for a solution to replacing the couplings between the wagons and have bougth some bits today to see if i can do anything

basically i called into alton model centre earlier who have some parkside dundas kits and bits on the shelf, and i noticed they do a coupling plate for use with Bachmann cranked NEM coupling unit, the type with an nem pocket with a fantail end, they didnt have any of the Bachmann cranked couplings in stock however they did have the equivlant 'dmu' couplings, which look like what i'd call 'continental loop couplings'

my plan is to simply glue the parkside unit to the wagon below solbar level, set back to keep the gap as close as i can but still allowing me the 'play' i need to allow the wagons to negociate the curves, i cant see a problem as the nem pockets move left and right in the holder

watch this space (when i finally get home)

• RMweb Gold

as an update to the above question i've been looking for a solution to replacing the couplings between the wagons and have bougth some bits today to see if i can do anything

basically i called into alton model centre earlier who have some parkside dundas kits and bits on the shelf, and i noticed they do a coupling plate for use with Bachmann cranked NEM coupling unit, the type with an nem pocket with a fantail end, they didnt have any of the Bachmann cranked couplings in stock however they did have the equivlant 'dmu' couplings, which look like what i'd call 'continental loop couplings'

my plan is to simply glue the parkside unit to the wagon below solbar level, set back to keep the gap as close as i can but still allowing me the 'play' i need to allow the wagons to negociate the curves, i cant see a problem as the nem pockets move left and right in the holder

watch this space (when i finally get home)

Hi Jim,

I've been trying to use the Gutzhold spring pivoting pockets with the Kadee couplers as well.

They are fine between the separate rakes of wagons but look out of place between the wagons of a set.

So - I thought about rigid coupler bars between individual wagons.

Most of the ones available are too long and give an increased gap that looks wrong between the wagons.

I've just started to try and make something a bit shorter.

Take the standard Hornby or Bachmann coupling that fits the NEM pocket.

Cut the bar part of the coupling off - leaving a shank with a wider plate at the end.

Drill holes in both of these at the same distance from the front of the shortened coupling. (Hole sizes are up to you!)

Cut 2 bits of 20thou plasticard 3mm wide by 20mm long.

Drill holes in both ends of these. (same size as holes in the coupling)

Assemble with one piece plasticard above couplings and one below.

Make short T pegs to go through the hoes and couple the wagons.

You may need to adjust the length of the plasticard pieces.

Once happy - It's up to you to either make these into solid bars or leave with the extra ability to pivot.

I'm still playing at this point.

They seem to work but only going forwards. Needs sorting out to enable them to work in reverse.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

This is what ive got planned for the wagons

Parkside NEM pocket holders

32D3424B-8CD2-4389-9D64-A2EBB0DE096A.jpg

D8B222B2-7553-45E8-9103-FE51BA1E286E.jpg

Once removed from the moulding frame you can see how you can secure them to the underside of the wagon, i may well, depending on how low the coupling sits cut away the raised ridges on either side so the holder is completly flush on the wagon

I picked up a pack of Bachmann shanked DMU couplings so if i do cut the ridges off the actual coupling will not be foul of the wagon body

BD7A4BD1-77C8-469C-B28E-E4DA76004D48_1.j

A507462C-8211-40BD-827F-3D43A13FF70D_1.j

EED914ED-FAB9-45BC-B194-98E8355E4444_1.j

Lets see what happens when i get to actually try them on the wagons!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

i couldnt get the couplings to attach to the wagons as they need to be a fair way back so would have been between the outer set of wheels which would prevent the bogies turning and distance

so to keep it simple i have had a go at fitting the coupling holder to a piece of plasticard on the bogie, i attached it using plastic weld, seems strong enough, ive not run the rake yet as i wanted to be sure the bond had set

4395CEA6-F4A7-4542-9F99-82667D20F343.jpg

the view from above comparing the original couplings with my modified one, i've reduced the gap slightly since the pic so it matches the original

7BB6400D-DAF9-4245-86EC-127E50E74900.jpg

as i say i'll see how it runs tomorrow

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Followed Martin_R's method of producing magnetised couplings. A great idea. I used 2.3mm outside diameter brass tube and extended the crimped ends further than the securing hole so that the tab created could slot between the metal bars in the Dapol system, which assisted in taking up and down pressure off the locating hole. I also used 2mm diameter magnets, type F412 from Magnet Expert Ltd, these are the non higher temperature tolerant 2mmx2mm magnets that can hold more force. I carried out drawbar tests and they can hold together a 5 unit set on pointwork and on steep inclines. The benefit of them is that the 2.3 mm tube can be drilled out to take the magnet without having to flare it. Thanks for the idea and the prototype photos.

Having run my first set of these on the club layout, the bar coupling between the inner wagons seems to be a weakness in the design.  The set stayed in the track fine and I had no problems with derailments, but the set uncoupled several times in the fiddle yard and therefore I'm tempted to try something like this.  When doing your drawbar test, did you undertake any tests with a trailing load?  I'm interested to know how they'd preform with a second set of MRA wagons (ie a 10 unit set) or alternatively with several other infrastructure wagons such as the JJA and JNA wagons towards the end of the rake.

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Given these seem to be fetching £200 ish on eBay at times does anyone think Dapol will do another run? I fancy some yellow ones.

I read somewhere, think it was on Dapol's Digest forum that it wouldn't be economical to produce given rising costs. I remember it was quoted that models would fetch around the £225 mark a set. Though, for a set of five highly detailed wagons that works out to be around £45 a wagon. Expensive but seeming to become the norm. They do pop up from time to time on ebay and I saw the listing you're referring to.. so rare now that they go for silly money. Originally wanted the NR ex-railtrack grey/blue ones but getting into the hobby late, its get what you can get. Got a yellow set second hand off a facebook group and by chance stumbled across a Railtrack set in the most unlikely of places in town, an instant buy. I cycled to college that week instead of getting the bus after looking at my bank account :o 

• Agree 1