MRA wagons

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

My only concern with this model is with the Network Rail yellow livery, as I am truly hoping that the MRA will not suffer from the plastic-looking and toy-like finish that the similarly liveried JNA and IOA disappointingly appeared in? It would be a real shame to spoil what otherwise looks to be a superb model.

The pre-production photos above certainly appear to be a better rendering of the yellow. I've just pre-ordered my first set.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I have posted photographs of MRA when brand new at York as a collection http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mra

Paul Bartlett

Just noticed that the lower hinged door in Paul's photos is quite shallow when compared to current MRA's - I presume that the doors were altered to make them deeper and thus deposit the ballast further out.

The extension piece is clearly shown in Martyn's pic at post#13 http//www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43250-mra-wagons/page__view__findpost__p__469487 ,

whilst the later all yellow build have a one piece deep flat door, as in my pic at post#18 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43250-mra-wagons/page__view__findpost__p__470034

Cheers,

Mick

Just noticed that the lower hinged door in Paul's photos is quite shallow when compared to current MRA's - I presume that the doors were altered to make them deeper and thus deposit the ballast further out.

The extension piece is clearly shown in Martyn's pic at post#13 http//www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/43250-mra-wagons/page__view__findpost__p__469487 ,

whilst the later all yellow build have a one piece deep flat door, as in my pic at post#18 http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__470034

Cheers,

Mick

Mick

Well spotted. Does this mean there are three different designs operating now or were the early ones I photographed rebuilt? What was the number range of the design that Dapol have modelled?

I'm just glad I don't model these new fangled gizmos :mocking_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Mick

Well spotted. Does this mean there are three different designs operating now or were the early ones I photographed rebuilt? What was the number range of the design that Dapol have modelled?

I'm just glad I don't model these new fangled gizmos :mocking_mini:

Hi Paul,

Can't say I've seen any with the short door of your pictures - presumably they's all been modified. I believe Dapol are doing the "modified" door in Railtrack livery.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Paul,

Can't say I've seen any with the short door of your pictures - presumably they's all been modified. I believe Dapol are doing the "modified" door in Railtrack livery.

Cheers,

Mick

Modifications in 2003 at Doncaster if my memory is working correctly [i know that is unlikely :unsure: ].

Mark

• Like 1

Modifications in 2003 at Doncaster if my memory is working correctly [i know that is unlikely :unsure: ].

Mark

Looks good to me. Those photos from Tim Horn are earlier, and appear to be as the originals I linked to. His other link is later and the design has altered.

Paul Bartlett

Yes that could be a good upgrade (although the low sun on that shot is probably highlighting more than you would otherwise see) - I don't know for sure but the big connectors suggest they are for power.

Martyn

Your picture shows the electrical connection on wagons within a set for the earlier wagons [mraa, mrab and mrac]. The yellow i.e. later [mrad, mrae and mraf] wagons have a tidier and more permanent connection within each rake of five.

post-330-0-66188300-1315082984_thumb.jpg

For completeness the electrical connections at the end of each set are also shown ...

post-330-0-72152300-1315083018_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mark

Edit was to correct spelling

• Like 2

As nobody else has posted them the wagon numbers in the prototype set that includes 501315 as the mrad are ...

mrad501315

mraf501383

mraf501384

mraf501385

mrae501335

... and this set has run with these wagons in the above order since delivered.

I will add some pictures of the above mrae and mraf wagons to my Smugmug site asap.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Beast

501052 has been paired with the yellow gen for over a year now. I first photographed 501052 with it on 14.08.10.

Also of note is that 501052 has recently received the Network Rail vinyl on the right hand box that is now being applied to the blue/grey MRAs when they visit Wabtec. I have noted one other with two logos in 2007, as seen below, before this years applications.

post-330-0-78912200-1316962279.jpg

More variety ...

mrac501241 on 05.03.07 without Network Rail vinyl.

post-330-0-21560100-1316961514_thumb.jpg

mrab501118 with two logo panels and 'engineering exellence' on 27.05.07.

post-330-0-35510600-1316961948_thumb.jpg

Mark

Looks good to me. Those photos from Tim Horn are earlier, and appear to be as the originals I linked to. His other link is later and the design has altered.

Paul Bartlett

Paul

Having now checked I can confirm it was 2003 when they were modified.

Mark

Edited by new puritan

• RMweb Gold

I see there are 4 standard sets listed and 2 extras from Hattons, one being weathered and the other isn’t specified why it is more and Hattons have replied that only set 2 is weathered. I’m currently waiting clarification on what the difference is with set 2 for the extra money. ;)

B859a

MRA side-tipping ballast train. 5 car unit with generator vehicle. Network Rail grey/blue livery. Pristine

B859b

MRA side-tipping ballast train. 5 car unit with generator vehicle. Railtrack grey/blue livery. Pristine

B859C

MRA side-tipping ballast train. 5 car unit with generator vehicle. Metronet yellow livery. Pristine

B859d

MRA side-tipping ballast train. 5 car unit with generator vehicle. Network Rail yellow livery. Pristine

Hattons specials?

B859 code tba 1

MRA side-tipping ballast train. 5 car unit with generator vehicle. Network Rail yellow livery - ?

B859 code tba 2

MRA side-tipping ballast train. 5 car unit with generator vehicle. Railtrack grey/blue livery. Weathered

Anyone wishing to have a looksee at the real thing in the flesh might care to have a few sorties from Manchester Picc to Stalybridge. On the line from Guide Bridge to Stalyvegas there are several sidings, which have been home to rakes of these wagons (in both yellow and "cream" liveries") that haven't moved for months. The rails are thickly rusted around them, their wheels are rusty and they seem very underused.

Never mind tipping bodies, just dump them next to a running line for months !

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi guys I have ordered a set of these wagons. And I no this question as been asked before but the bogies on the model do look short to me when I checked photos. Its as if they do not go back far enough. Are the bogies of the falcon wagon.

Yes, they are AxleMotion 3 bogies as fitted to JNA Falcon. They are set back on the MRA, so do look short.Photos and links further up this thread clearly show that.

There has been a suggestion that the Dapol bogies are slightly under length, but a lot of this is due to the "flat" appearance of them - no-one has yet done the measurements AFAIIA

Weathering vastly improves the depth and look to the bogies - see my JNA weathering thread.

I'm looking forward to my MRA set.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Thanks Mick. I saw your thread. I ham sure I read in a mag that the bogies were 2mm to short on the falcon. I was going to buy a rake of falcons when they first come out but I was put of by the the bow in the body and the color. I have got just one now from the second batch and I have weathered it up and it looks better. I'll get some more in time. Just hope the new MRA are here for Xmas.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...